Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 8th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    • 487Posts
    • 150Thanks
    smnb08
    Faulty car.
    • 8th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    Faulty car. 8th Sep 19 at 4:12 PM
    Wanted to buy my daughter a little run around to learn to drive in and use as a first car.
    Found a car on auto trader that a garage was selling.
    As we weren’t intending on taxing & insuring it for a week or so, I asked the garage if they were able to deliver it.

Car paid for (£600) direct into sellers bank, car dropped off last Sunday and just parked up on the drive.
    asked my daughters dad to come have a look at the cars oil and tyres etc to make sure it was safe.
    After 5 mins he comes in and tells me the cars basically f***ed!
    He said the water tank and pipes are full of oil, that the head gasket has gone.
    Seller isn’t answering the phone or replying to messages.
    He was very quick to answer messaging when I was buying!

Please, please any advice? Where do I start.
    Last edited by smnb08; 08-09-2019 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    sealed pot challenge member #920
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    Does your daughter's father know what he's talking about? Worth checking before you go back to the garage. If he does, then you need to get it to the garage to reject it, which will mean taxing and insuring it unless they are prepared to come and collect it.

It's a Sunday. Try them again tomorrow and see what they say.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 8th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    You bought a £600 car with out even seeing it? Ballsy.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 8th Sep 19, 6:34 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    • 8th Sep 19, 6:34 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 6:34 PM
    You bought a £600 car with out even seeing it? Ballsy.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As thatís deffo how I feel....however had I of seen it I would of still bought it as I wouldnít of known what I was looking at under the bonnet.
    Yes daughters dads best friend is a mechanic and he labours for him quite often.
    Yes I can get the car sorted by him but itís the principle....wouldnít of bought a car in that condition.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Sep 19, 10:30 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Sep 19, 10:30 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 10:30 PM
    At £600 you'll not get a car in much of a condition anyway, unless you're lucky or know what to look for. At that price it's a lottery.

Contact the garage tomorrow and see what they say. They are entitled to ask you to take it back to them for them to look at, so be prepared to arrange for it to be towed there or risk taxing and insuring it to drive it there.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    • 17,771 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As that’s deffo how I feel....however had I of seen it I would of still bought it as I wouldn’t of known what I was looking at under the bonnet.
    Yes daughters dads best friend is a mechanic and he labours for him quite often.
    Yes I can get the car sorted by him but it’s the principle....wouldn’t of bought a car in that condition.
    Originally posted by smnb08
    I wouldn't know what I am looking for if I bought a second hand car either, but that's exactly the reason I wouldn't buy one without help.
    I once had a work colleague try to sell me a car- he seemed shocked when I told him a friend of my boss was a royal marine mechanic and he was going to look it over for me..yes you've guessed it, it was a £6000 heap of rubbish which he didn't think I'd spot ( this was a long time ago)
    Fact is, you did buy the car in that condition, also you did a bank transfer?!!
    Please learn from this. Not all people are fair or nice.
    Last edited by hollydays; 08-09-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 12:58 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:58 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:58 AM
    Thatís the thing....we werenít expecting much, as I said, a little run around to learn to drive in.

Thereís hundreds of cars out there for £600 and less that are older but in driveable condition!

Thatís the thing, yes itís a lesson to learn....having said that, I thought I was safe buying a car from a garage with several cars for sale advertised on auto trader.

I will get something done, donít know what or how but Iíll be like a dog with a bone until this is sorted!

Thanks everyone for replies, really appreciate everyoneís thoughts and advice x
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Sep 19, 2:08 AM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 12,907 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Sep 19, 2:08 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 2:08 AM
    Seller isnít answering the phone or replying to messages.
    Are you phoning from the same number each time?
    If so, he may well recognise it which is why he won't answer.
    If so, try a different phone and if he has other cars for sale, he may well pick up.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Sep 19, 7:00 AM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 7,583 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Sep 19, 7:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 7:00 AM
    If your daughters father knows about cars and was checking over whatever car you bought after purchase anyway why didn't you just get him to help you find a suitable car in the first place?

Legally you may have rights to a refund but chasing that on a £600 car from a possible rogue dealer could be a complete nightmare, plus you'd need more that just "my ex said it's no good" you'd need an actual qualified mechanic not just someone who helps a mate and dabbles to give a report on what's wrong.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Sep 19, 7:14 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    worried jim
    I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As thatís deffo how I feel...
    No, very brave!
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,707 Thanks
    macman
    So how was the condition of the car described to you, or in the ad? Has it got a full 12m MOT? Service history? Why couldn't your friend inspect it before you purchased it?
    Make, model, mileage and age?
    Given that a garage is going to need to make maybe £250 on it just to cover their overheads, It's unlikely that it's worth more than £350 as a trade in. The insurance alone is going to be 3 times the value of the car.
    PS: if it's parked on your drive without tax or insurance, then you need to SORN it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 12:25 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    Erm without sounding rude, I already know Iíve been silly....itís not very helpful saying ďwhy didnít I do this & why didnít I do thatĒ I am where I am, itís already done!

Just on here really for advice as to if there is anything I can do about this, if not then Iíll accept it and get the car fixed myself.

Thanks.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 9th Sep 19, 1:16 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    At £600 you'll not get a car in much of a condition anyway, unless you're lucky or know what to look for. At that price it's a lottery.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Well no, not quite. Regardless of the price, if it's advertised as having no faults then you will be buying it on that basis, whether it's £60 or £6,000,000.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Sep 19, 2:04 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Well no, not quite. Regardless of the price, if it's advertised as having no faults then you will be buying it on that basis, whether it's £60 or £6,000,000.
    Originally posted by Potbellypig
    I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards. That's why it's a lottery.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 3:04 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    Are you phoning from the same number each time?
    If so, he may well recognise it which is why he won't answer.
    If so, try a different phone and if he has other cars for sale, he may well pick up.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Thank you.
    He answered when I rang from a different number!
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards. That's why it's a lottery.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    So you think that on the basis that I only paid £600 for a car that was advertised as having no faults that itís acceptable to deliver a car with the head gasket gone?

Iím sorry but youíre wrong....iv just done a quick search on auto trader, cars nationwide for under £500....thereís 8119 listed for sale and thatís just cars under £500!
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Sep 19, 3:15 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    waamo
    So you think that on the basis that I only paid £600 for a car that was advertised as having no faults that itís acceptable to deliver a car with the head gasket gone?

Iím sorry but youíre wrong....iv just done a quick search on auto trader, cars nationwide for under £500....thereís 8119 listed for sale and thatís just cars under £500!
    Nobody said it was acceptable. Unless you have a very good crystal ball how do you know those cars won't develop faults soon after purchase?
    This space for hire.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 9th Sep 19, 4:17 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    Nobody said it was acceptable. Unless you have a very good crystal ball how do you know those cars won't develop faults soon after purchase?
    Originally posted by waamo
    Unless I'm reading a different thread, I believe it says that the car was faulty when delivered. It didn't develop the fault soon after.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Sep 19, 4:24 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    waamo
    Unless I'm reading a different thread, I believe it says that the car was faulty when delivered. It didn't develop the fault soon after.
    Originally posted by Potbellypig
    If you read what Aylesbury Duck said it refers to cars breaking shortly after receiving them which was what the op quoted. I'm merely responding to their response.
    This space for hire.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Sep 19, 4:27 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck

Not at all. You've completely misunderstood the point I made. My point was that at £600, it's unlikely that a car is going to remain trouble-free for long. That's not a comment on your rights in your situation, it was a more general comment. If the car was sold to you as 'fault-free', you have a case to reject it.

Why am I wrong? Just because there are 8,119 cars for sale under £500 doesn't mean they're all in good condition and going to last for a long time. When you buy a car for several hundred pounds, you have to budget for expected problems that you probably have less need to budget for on a car priced at several thousand pounds. What's 'wrong' about that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

7,342Users online

Martin's Twitter