Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pentech
    • By Pentech 26th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Pentech
    Pentech Bangor/Systems
    • 26th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    Pentech Bangor/Systems 26th Sep 18 at 5:40 PM
    My father usually asks me for I.T help but he was worried he was bothering me too much and so he took his laptop to Pentech, in Bangor High Street.

My father told me later that the internet was a bit slow. There was nothing actually wrong with the laptop itself.

The owner of the shop; however, claimed that there was a "virus stealing all my father's data" and requested my father to pay 25 to fix it.

The owner later that afternoon called my father and asked him for more money otherwise, "the virus would destroy his data and his banks would be hacked." My father suspecting something was wrong contacted me.

We went into the shop to request the owner to stop all work and to return the laptop. I think that the owner on seeing that I am near 60 assumed that I wouldn't know much about laptops and continued speaking gibberish claiming that a virus was right now frying my father's motherboard and that we needed to pay 100 to avoid it. I said I didn't belive him, to leave the supposed virus, and to return the laptop immediately.

The owner then claimed that he'd already deleted the virus and so he wanted his 100. Eventually, we agreed to pay as I strongly suspected that if we had to wait for the police to arrive (if they did) the owner would destroy the laptop and I didn't want my father to be further upset.

On taking the laptop back I found that the shop owner had gone through all my father's files and internet history and had even removed a ram card! My father's laptop came with two 2GB ram cards and seeing that the screws on the laptop had been touched I had a look inside to find only one ram card.

I reported all this to the police but despite recording the conversation in the shop with the owner and being able to prove the laptop had parts stolen they said it was a civil matter.
    Last edited by Pentech; 26-01-2019 at 8:49 PM.
Page 2
    • Pentech
    • By Pentech 22nd Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pentech
    Karma maybe? I wish I and all the helpful members of this site could say we hand in it, but as you can imagine the police and trading standards take time to get round to these sort of things and they did tell me that they hadn't even got round to contacting him yet! Although trading standards had hinted that they'd received several reports about Pentech.

What is worrying though is Mr John Mccrea (the owner) seems to be continuing "repairing computers" even without the shop so please advise anyone in Bangor especially the vulnerable about his little tricks.

Here he is insulting a customer: imgur.com/a/Vgw1X1E
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 25th Jan 19, 8:33 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    Seems this was his last day as he had a closing down sale
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • Pentech
    • By Pentech 26th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pentech
    Seems this was his last day as he had a closing down sale
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    Unfortunately he's still working just not out of the shop. Hopefully, the police and trading standards will catch up with him soon.
    • Leading_Fun4
    • By Leading_Fun4 8th Mar 19, 9:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leading_Fun4
    Sad to hear that crook is still at it. He's a bit of a reputation here so amazed he's still in business but then I suppose he targets the elderly.
    • ClaireSavings
    • By ClaireSavings 8th Aug 19, 8:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ClaireSavings
    Did the police ever confront him?
    • thekittenofwallstreet
    • By thekittenofwallstreet 2nd Sep 19, 11:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thekittenofwallstreet
    I doubt it. Been going on for years.
    Don't know how he got away with it and still does - clearly!

Drives about in a lovely Jag....

Probably throwing money at any questions or issues to make them disappear. That's the only thing I can think of. That or friends in high places....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,742Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter