Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 7th Aug 19, 10:41 PM
    • 3,413Posts
    • 1,749Thanks
    Cotta
    Wedding Favours - Friends of Cancer
    • 7th Aug 19, 10:41 PM
    Wedding Favours - Friends of Cancer 7th Aug 19 at 10:41 PM
    Hi All,

I am looking into wedding favours at present and I want to make a contribution towards "Friends of Cancer". They have mentioned that they can provide some small cards to go at the table for each of the guests, however my partner is not a fan of having 100 cards across the tables and furthermore she is not a fan of the three sample cards shown.

Has anyone else used "Friends of Cancer" or a similar charity in the past for weddomg favours and if so how did you incorporate it into your wedding?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 8th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    74jax
    • 8th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 8th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    We did a donation to a cancer charity and just said rather than table favors we had made a donation instead.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 9th Aug 19, 12:26 AM
    • 3,413 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 9th Aug 19, 12:26 AM
    • 9th Aug 19, 12:26 AM
    We did a donation to a cancer charity and just said rather than table favors we had made a donation instead.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    Did you have a card on the table to this effect?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Aug 19, 8:06 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 12,369 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Aug 19, 8:06 AM
    • 9th Aug 19, 8:06 AM
    I went to a wedding once where there were no favours (tbh I didn't even notice they weren't there until it was mentioned) but the bride, who also said a few words, said that instead of favours a donation was made to a particular charity.

IMO there's no need for a card on the table, let alone individual cards......
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 9th Aug 19, 8:42 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    74jax
    • 9th Aug 19, 8:42 PM
    • 9th Aug 19, 8:42 PM
    Did you have a card on the table to this effect?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    No. But I didn't feel the need. I guess you could though. To be honest I'm trying to think of favors of the last weddings I've been to and really can't remember any.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Aug 19, 9:09 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Aug 19, 9:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 19, 9:09 PM
    I take it that wedding favo(u)rs are another stupid import from merica, just like baby showers.

Bribing the attendees with little gifts like the whites gave to the indians
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Aug 19, 9:23 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 36,315 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 9th Aug 19, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 19, 9:23 PM
    my partner is not a fan of having 100 cards across the tables and furthermore she is not a fan of the three sample cards shown.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    Hunker down & enjoy the peace. If you want to make a cancer charity donation, splendid. Using a third party? Why bother? Herself has the right of it - if she's not on board, abandon the idea. It may not be the missed opportunity you think!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 12,369 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 10th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    I take it that wedding favo(u)rs are another stupid import from merica, just like baby showers.

Bribing the attendees with little gifts like the whites gave to the indians
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Didn't think of wedding favours as being particularly American.

Personally I view wedding favours as being another unnecessary expense which the wedding industry has made a must have.

However if a couple, like the OP, wishes to donate to a charity that buy their guests 'gifts' then where's the harm?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Aug 19, 5:16 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Aug 19, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 19, 5:16 PM
    Charities are switched on.newlyweds donate to them and put cards on the table. It is just another marketing ploy to try to get extra income. No different to all the envelopes that come through the door.

If the couple want to donate then fine - do it. But why dress the donation up as something it's not. All you are doing by putting the cards on the table is spamming your guests.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Aug 19, 7:20 AM
    • 23,859 Posts
    • 64,234 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Didn't think of wedding favours as being particularly American.

Personally I view wedding favours as being another unnecessary expense which the wedding industry has made a must have.

However if a couple, like the OP, wishes to donate to a charity that buy their guests 'gifts' then where's the harm?
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I had to Google 'wedding favours'.
    OMG!
    I think if I was a wedding guest I'd prefer the bride & groom to either save their money or donate to a charity instead of providing what looks like tat that would be dumped in the nearest bin.

Do wedding guests really expect 'wedding favours'.

OP:
    Can't you just announce that instead of providing
    tat wedding favours, you are making a donation to xxx charity?
    Last edited by Pollycat; 11-08-2019 at 7:24 AM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 19th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    DD265
    We didn't do favours at all. We had sparklers (photo props really) and did a pick and mix table which went down really well. Between those, an open bar, the cake and the meal itself, I don't think anybody noticed/cared.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £6600/£8000 paid off - 82.5%
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 20th Aug 19, 12:44 AM
    • 6,579 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Where I work we've had Bridal couples requesting that we put a note along the lines of "Donation made to xx charity in place of favours" fairly regularly. Another currently popular option is buying pin badges from charities. But on the whole favours unless personalised tend to be left behind by guests - in a recent clear out of our wedding storage space we threw out almost 800 small drawstring bags which had a mix of random rubbish given out as favours - badges, seeds, hangoverkits being the most common.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

798Posts Today

7,033Users online

Martin's Twitter