Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 22nd Nov 12, 6:08 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    MoneySaving Dads - get the MoneySaving help you need
    • 22nd Nov 12, 6:08 PM
    MoneySaving Dads - get the MoneySaving help you need 22nd Nov 12 at 6:08 PM
    What's the new board for?

Have you just found out you’re going to be a father and have no idea what nappies cost?

Dad of several and don’t know how to afford all the school dinners?

If you’re a dad and a MoneySaver this is the place to discuss your MoneySaving issues.

For general questions not related to MoneySaving please post on the Marriage, Relationships & Families board.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-11-2012 at 9:27 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 23rd Nov 12, 2:41 PM
    • 11,891 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 23rd Nov 12, 2:41 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 2:41 PM
    Good thinking. We can ask other dads what nappies cost or how they afford all the school dinners.

Mums might have the answers to these questions too, though. Shouldn't we ask them, too?
    • Metranil Vavin
    • By Metranil Vavin 23rd Nov 12, 4:19 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 16,556 Thanks
    Metranil Vavin
    • 23rd Nov 12, 4:19 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 4:19 PM
    I can hear the barn doors clanking and the tumbleweed blowing through this board.....
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 23rd Nov 12, 7:18 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 23rd Nov 12, 7:18 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 7:18 PM
    Good thinking. We can ask other dads what nappies cost or how they afford all the school dinners.

Mums might have the answers to these questions too, though. Shouldn't we ask them, too?
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    Good Lord no!

Don't you know that men and women can never be friends?! All that wanton lust and passion building over a little chat about the price of nappies/nipple chaffing? Such a hot bed of lust. No, it's much easier to segregate and keep us all apart, lest we fail to control ourselves.

Think of the children!
    • thehappybutterfly
    • By thehappybutterfly 23rd Nov 12, 8:09 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    thehappybutterfly
    • 23rd Nov 12, 8:09 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 8:09 PM
    Gosh, I feel like I'm having a forum affair coming onto this thread!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 23rd Nov 12, 9:59 PM
    • 23,420 Posts
    • 58,648 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 23rd Nov 12, 9:59 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 9:59 PM
    Why on earth do MS Dads need a separate area from the MS Mums? *confused*
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • jayII
    • By jayII 23rd Nov 12, 11:50 PM
    • 38,158 Posts
    • 107,076 Thanks
    jayII
    • 23rd Nov 12, 11:50 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 11:50 PM
    Seperate boards is a really silly idea! It's divisive and limits/halves the people who will see and respond to a thread.

The 1950's really are long gone, as is Victoriana!
    Fighting the biggest battle of my life. Started 30th January 2018.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 24th Nov 12, 11:11 AM
    • 9,561 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    meer53
    • 24th Nov 12, 11:11 AM
    • 24th Nov 12, 11:11 AM
    Seperate boards is a really silly idea! It's divisive and limits/halves the people who will see and respond to a thread.

Originally posted by jayII
    Too right

Doesn't seem to be too popular anyway does it ? It needs to be all on one board. It's 2012 FGS !
  • Lixi
    • 24th Nov 12, 3:31 PM
    • 24th Nov 12, 3:31 PM
    What's the new board for?

Have you just found out you’re going to be a father and have no idea what nappies cost?

Dad of several and don’t know how to afford all the school dinners?

If you’re a dad and a MoneySaver this is the place to ask your MoneySaving questions.

For general questions not related to MoneySaving please post on the Marriage, Relationships & Families board.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    How utterly ridiculous. Who pray tell is going to hang around on this board to answer? Not us moneysaving Mums as we are quite clearly not wanted.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 24th Nov 12, 5:53 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    SplanK
    So the pregnancy thread is no longer suitable for expecting dads now?! Although few to be dads participate, I have found it very usefull to read "real life" stuff to back up whats been discussed in articals/books! Just spent ages looking for the longer pregnancy thread only to find its been moved into the mums section!
  • quantumleap
    Sorry MSE, I've got to say this...

You've have well and truely messed up with regard these new forums. What a load of utter nonsense these new board titles are!

Now think about it, as a new father (I've got 3 kids so have some history!) who would you ask for advice on nappy prices etc? I certainly wouldn't post it on this board!
    • rpc
    • By rpc 26th Nov 12, 9:48 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 3,505 Thanks
    rpc
    Sorry MSE, I've got to say this...

You've have well and truely messed up with regard these new forums. What a load of utter nonsense these new board titles are!

Now think about it, as a new father (I've got 3 kids so have some history!) who would you ask for advice on nappy prices etc? I certainly wouldn't post it on this board!
    Originally posted by quantumleap
    Quoting this because it is so right!

Much of the advice dads need can come from mums and some advice for mums is best coming from dads. Shame we aren't allowed to talk any more...
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 27th Nov 12, 9:30 AM
    • 11,891 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I think I've slightly changed my opinion on this. Only slightly, but changed nonetheless.
    Was the problem that the old Parents board was dominated by mums? Did dads feel like they didn't belong? Did dads feel intimidated in joining a group that was mainly full of mums?
    [I doubt it, actually, for an online community. Even netmums, despite the name, has a fair few dads on it. But you never know.]
    That's often the case with toddler groups. They are dominated by mums (not surprisingly, as mums form the majority of stay-at-home parents) and dads can feel a little daunted. For that reason I think that it is good when childrens centres run dads groups.

But, despite them running dads groups, dads are still welcome to the other groups.
    So, in summary, I have no objection - if this is the reason - to a dads sub-board of a parenting board. A dad can then decide whether to ask about the price of nappies in the main parenting board (where they are likely to get more answers) or in the dads section (where they are likely to get fewer answers but might help them to feel part of a community that they wouldn't necessarily feel in a group dominated by mums).
    • rpc
    • By rpc 27th Nov 12, 11:22 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 3,505 Thanks
    rpc
    I think there is an issue with groups IRL ("oh, look at the man. How quaint/wierd.") If I'm out with my kids, there are often comments about me "giving mum a break". F**k off, no I'm not, I'm just out with my kids.

Online, there can be a lot of sexism (women can do no wrong, men can do no right) but I've never seen dads rejected by forums. There are often things where dad's opinions are rather sought after by mums. Keeping everyone together gets a broader view of issues.

TAMBA forums have a general forum and a separate dads forum, but the latter is pretty quiet and plenty of the posts in it are from mums.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 27th Nov 12, 11:41 AM
    • 11,891 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    That's my experience, too, rpc.
    The worst "comment" I had wasn't a comment at all, but a look. It was a look of _pity_! [To be fair, I did have the children (3 of them, all in/on the one buggy) because my wife was in hospital, but the woman who looked sorry for me wouldn't have known that.]

I also agree about what you say about online forums. In real life I would choose to go to a dads group over a general group (though, with my confidence built having been to various dads groups I wuold now be happy to go to a general group) but online I wouldn't have any problems with a general group.
    But if other dads do have such a problem then I see no reason _not_ to have a general group and a dads group on here. I'd read both.
    • Mrs.W
    • By Mrs.W 6th Dec 12, 6:29 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Mrs.W

Originally posted by jayII
    Even so there are plenty of folk aound here muttering, "We are not amused!"
    • Samsonite1
    • By Samsonite1 7th Jun 16, 11:20 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Samsonite1
    Holy thread revival, but I do think the segregation of parents on forums is a bit silly. I found the same with Mumsnet. I registered there because it seemed to cover parenting topics quite well with good responses and I found it useful, however - it seems as though I committed a crime by being a dad - it let me register, but the assumption was that I was a mum (ok the name of the site suggests that), but there were no similar sites for dads.
    To err is human, but it is against company policy.
    • Gregory33
    • By Gregory33 4th Jan 17, 1:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Gregory33
    I think there is an issue with groups IRL ("oh, look at the man. How quaint/wierd.") If I'm out with my kids, there are often comments about me "giving mum a break". F**k off, no I'm not, I'm just out with my kids.

Online, there can be a lot of sexism (women can do no wrong, men can do no right) but I've never seen dads rejected by forums. There are often things where dad's opinions are rather sought after by mums. Keeping everyone together gets a broader view of issues.

TAMBA forums have a general forum and a separate dads forum, but the latter is pretty quiet and plenty of the posts in it are from mums.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Plonter
    • By Plonter 19th Dec 18, 10:21 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Plonter
    Hey. This thread should be activated. Lol.
    • Cisser
    • By Cisser 28th Mar 19, 6:20 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cisser
    My dad was the opposite.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,822Users online

Martin's Twitter