Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • David_e
    • By David_e 26th Jun 14, 12:54 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    David_e
    • 26th Jun 14, 12:54 AM
    • 26th Jun 14, 12:54 AM
    Ideas ???
    Originally posted by princesmum264
    Have a look at the thread "Flight Delay Compensation Important Info - Please check before posting"

Not sure, but I think there might also be a US and Canadian Airlines thread.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 27th Jun 14, 5:25 PM
    • 5,537 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 27th Jun 14, 5:25 PM
    • 27th Jun 14, 5:25 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 30th Jun 14, 1:23 AM
    • 12,448 Posts
    • 8,111 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 30th Jun 14, 1:23 AM
    • 30th Jun 14, 1:23 AM
    EU compensation does not apply to Ashcloud as you will see from the FAQs. The airline is not held responsible for this however, if the flight was departing from the EU and not the US then you should be reimbursed for your hotel expenses and meals whilst you were waiting under the duty of care...is this what you are trying to get reimbursed?
    Have you tried to claim from your travel insurance
  • princesmum264
    • 10th Jul 14, 2:10 PM
    ASHCloud Compensation
    • 10th Jul 14, 2:10 PM
    Yes originally did depart from UK with return ticket from US so that's covered I think but still the Insurance Co wont consider our claim they are unwritten by a Southern Ireland Insurance group so have got out of any claims this way so have been told.
    all want is money towards enforced stay in USA whilst waiting for a return flight back to UK and some food/drink money many others on same flight had to sleep at Airport with children as no money left for anything. All totalling aprox 500 not massive amount to ask for 6 days worth and Insurance was a good policy not cheapest by anymeans So Madening Insurance Co take your money then by any means possible wont pay up.
    Princesmum
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 10th Jul 14, 5:55 PM
    • 12,448 Posts
    • 8,111 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 10th Jul 14, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 14, 5:55 PM
    Your affected flight was on a non EU airline departing from outside of the EU (it does not matter that your outbound flight left from the EU) This means that the airline does not need to reimburse under EU regulations so your travel insurance would be the only route to reclaim expenses. There is no claim from AA
    Have the the insurance company directed you to the part of the policy that confirms that they will not cover you in these circumstances?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 15th Aug 14, 5:56 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 15th Aug 14, 5:56 PM
    • 15th Aug 14, 5:56 PM
    The insurance ombudsman took action against Europassist who refused to pay out due to weather delays during the ash cloud. If your cover included delays due to weather, you may well have a claim notwithstanding the policy was issued in Ireland, as the High Court supported the ombudsman. You will need to look at the policy to see the procedure for making a formal complaint, your biggest problem may be the fact that it is now more than 4 years since the event and time for complaining under the policy may have expired
  • princesmum264
    • 20th Aug 14, 10:56 PM
    Long time YES FOUR YEARS
    • 20th Aug 14, 10:56 PM
    But not our fault its been a process that has been followed up by Insurance Company denial Airline denial then Ombudsman and in a que for help all this time buy all parties never have we been at fault always waiting for next step legal presidence and decisions of courts awaiting outcome to set next step even the ombudsman went nearly two years before they realised it should have been dealing with their Southern Irish Division incompetence of one of their officers so after all this we are at our witts end and are throwing in the towel so just hoping for another window to go to so insurance co have won as usual so so sad act of god ASH CLOUD and all that so many families left like us with debits and bad taste in our mouths that's really sad bought best policy as advised not cheapest All to no avail Insurance Companies win again
    • raddy59
    • By raddy59 21st Aug 14, 4:15 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    raddy59
    • 21st Aug 14, 4:15 PM
    • 21st Aug 14, 4:15 PM
    I am going on holiday to Europe soon - Easyjet

So, if an ashcloud covers Europe and I am stuck in Germany because flights are cancelled - will my family be covered by the currennt EU regs for accommodations and expenses, or do I have to take out additional cover?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

487Posts Today

5,709Users online

Martin's Twitter