Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    VixxAnn
    Edinburgh attractions and things to do (merged)
    • 7th Mar 05, 2:59 PM
    Edinburgh attractions and things to do (merged) 7th Mar 05 at 2:59 PM
    We are off to Edinburgh for a week at Easter - self catering apartment in the city centre (old town)
    Have three kids (11, 9 & 3)
    Its about 8 yrs since we last went but we did the castle and a natural history museum.

Would like to take them to lots of interesting places but don't want to get ripped off on lots of entry fees etc. Any ideas?

My hubbies birthday is while we are away so I'm going to send the older ones off with him one night on a ghost walk as he's always wanted to do one - any suggestions as to best?

Also any family friendly fun eating places to recommend to me?

thanks

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 01-08-2006 at 4:39 PM.
Page 11
    • mallada
    • By mallada 7th Nov 10, 1:43 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mallada
    Got a cheap deal for Edinburgh on 16th - 19th november. Never been before so will obviously visit the castle.

Probably go to a Mary kings close tour. But i also have a bunch of reward tokens we exchanged and never used them all (when some family visited).

Has anyone been to the scotch whisky experience, or been on auld reekie tours?

http://www.auldreekietours.com/
    http://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

And do they impose any restrictions you are aware of on tesco reward users? such as only silver tour at the whisky experience (i would expect this really but would be nice if not).

Not a big shopper but would like to look around some shops that you dont see anywhere else, is there a good unique shopping area here?

Thanks
    • gamma
    • By gamma 26th Nov 10, 2:20 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    gamma
    If you're looking for a constant update of things to do in Edinburgh then have a look at twitter as well
    Last edited by gamma; 11-12-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    • ILoveChocolate
    • By ILoveChocolate 4th Feb 11, 10:46 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    ILoveChocolate
    Hi

Also have a look at www.scotlandcityguide.com
    Have fun in Edinburgh so much to see and do
    2012 wins; ladybird trunki and ladybird books, three mascaras.

Sending you all the comping fairy dust in 2012 and sprinkling some on myself too
  • alison74
    If you're looking for a constant update of things to do in Edinburgh then have a look at www.facebook.com/LoveEdinburgh and on twitter as well www.twitter.com/LoveEdinburgh
    Originally posted by gamma

I clicked on these links to see what was being said about my city. Seems the owner has used MY photos without permission

Has not been updated since Nov 2010 so not an up to date guide.
  • Lottiebeth
    Easter Sunday
    If you are looking for somewhere cheap to go for lunch in the city centre, that will keep the kids entertained, the Ghillie Dhu are having an Easter Sunday fun day.

I've been there a few times now, and the place is STUNNING!!! You should check it out
  • maggiesoop
    Edinburgh Zoo - free parking!!!
    Altrhough we live in Edinburgh, haven't been to the Zoo in years so decided to take bored teenager for trip down memory lane.

Horrified to see they charge 4 to park in their car park. Swiftly drove back out & found a free parking place 5 mins walk away for zilch.
    TAKE NOTE ... there are many side streets where you can park absolutely free.

Also be aware they INCLUDE the cost of a 10% donation - you have to tell them you would prefer not and then they deduct it !!! Bit cheeky I thought.

We loved the visit but at around 45 for a family of 4, it aint cheap !
    • Turkishdreamer
    • By Turkishdreamer 5th Feb 12, 11:51 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Turkishdreamer
    I know this is an old thread, but relates to my query.

Recently moved to Scotland would like to spend a long weekend in Edinburgh. I have a good Rail deal,which is valid until end of March, but not sure where and when would be the best time to go.

I know there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels, b&b's but would be looking for reasonably priced attractions for 4 X 40/50 year old adults.

Is there a brewery that offers tours, are there any good free/cheap Museums, as there are in Glasgow.

Any ideas and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Feb 12, 12:24 PM
    • 34,971 Posts
    • 29,629 Thanks
    custardy
    the national museum on Chambers street (or dinosaur museum, as its known to my boy)is free
    recently opened after a large refurb
    • vfish
    • By vfish 5th Feb 12, 4:52 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    vfish
    I know this is an old thread, but relates to my query.

Is there a brewery that offers tours, are there any good free/cheap Museums, as there are in Glasgow.
    Originally posted by Turkishdreamer
    The Old Royal and National Museums merged in 2007 - they're free and next door to each other in Chambers Street. The council have 3 free museums on the Royal Mile - Museum of Childhood, People's Story and Museum of Edinburgh (sometimes known as Huntly House, where you can see Greyfriars' Bobby's collar).

As far as I know you can't tour the brewery unless you bring a bigger group (at least 8 I think). You can go to the Whisky Experience which is a fake distillery.
    • oxters
    • By oxters 13th Mar 12, 10:34 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Looking for some experience on the Pandas please? We've been looking on the webcam and I can't say it's very exciting. We are taking our grandchildren 10 and 8 to Edinburgh during the easter hols and we are planning lots to do including Chambers Street and dynamic earth etc etc. Loads to do and there's a science fair as well.

The zoo is not a cheap visit - (thanks for the parking advice above) and the penguins are farmed out during repairs. Is the zoo a worthwhile attraction? I know we should visit after 11am for the best activity but will we just see what's on the webcam? It looks like a room with a bed and some bamboo to eat!

Thank you for any advice.
    • vfish
    • By vfish 13th Mar 12, 5:59 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    vfish
    I've been a couple of times - but I'm a member so I go a lot!

I can send you a PM with a link to the video I took - the pandas aren't terribly active animals - I saw 2 pandas the first time and one the second and they ate all the time - but all the kids who have been there when I have seemed to be really enjoying seeing them. There are loads of other animals to see - it's not all about pandas and penguins!
    • oxters
    • By oxters 13th Mar 12, 7:17 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    I've been a couple of times - but I'm a member so I go a lot!

I can send you a PM with a link to the video I took - the pandas aren't terribly active animals - I saw 2 pandas the first time and one the second and they ate all the time - but all the kids who have been there when I have seemed to be really enjoying seeing them. There are loads of other animals to see - it's not all about pandas and penguins!
    Originally posted by vfish
    Yes thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure there's lots to see at the zoo but the pandas are a big attraction meantime especially for kids meantime. I'm sure we will give it a go and we will have to book times soon. The visit will be an expensive trip all the same and out of the question for a lot of families.
    • oxters
    • By oxters 24th Mar 12, 5:13 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Taking grandchildren to Dynamic earth on 2 or 3 April. Does anyone know of any discounts other than the "book online" offer?
  • sw-nw
    15 voucher (when you spend 40) at Bayofbengal Indian Restaurant
    The owner asked me for help. I think it is worth mentioning here as the restaurant is located in High Street Edinburgh, near Edinburgh Castle and other main tourist attractions. It can be found on Winter Offer 15 page on website. (www.bayofbengaledinburgh.com/offers.php)

15 voucher when you spend 40 or more
    One voucher can be used per table or group.
    Valid until March 2013, cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.
    Excluding public holiday, new year and Christmas days.
    The voucher (1.8MB in PDF format) will be opened in a new window.
    Please print it and give to staff with order
    I am web designer and love coding, ok sort of.
    • oxters
    • By oxters 18th Oct 12, 6:27 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Kids free at Dynamic Earth with Adult ticket bought
    http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/visitors/whatson

This October Our Dynamic Earth presents the Earth shattering offer of the year. We are offering 1 FREE Kid's Annual Explorer Pass for every adult ticket bought before the end of October. To claim this offer and buy your adult ticket online click here or you can download your voucher by clicking here.
    • angel00079
    • By angel00079 26th Oct 12, 9:47 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    angel00079
    Edinburgh Castle
    We have made a last minute decision to go to the castle and Mary Close. I am trying to find some sort of discounts but not having much joy as I keep losing phone signal. I thought about joining heritage for the castle but not sure I would get the best out of it for 40 each. I thought I read that English heritage offers a discount but can't find it. Does anyone know any deals please? Many thanks.
    • Clairog
    • By Clairog 6th Nov 12, 10:59 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Clairog
    Anyone know anywhere to get a discount code for the Real Mary Kings Close in Edinburgh? Taking my DD and her frends for a birthday treat and saw theres a space on the site for a code but can't find any???
    Also does anyone know if your allowed to take a picnic inside at the Botanic Gardens? Trying to think of somewhere we can go if its raining????
    Thanks in advance
    Claire
    Saving Money Is Gemme!
    • oxters
    • By oxters 7th Nov 12, 12:06 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Anyone know anywhere to get a discount code for the Real Mary Kings Close in Edinburgh? Taking my DD and her frends for a birthday treat and saw theres a space on the site for a code but can't find any???
    Also does anyone know if your allowed to take a picnic inside at the Botanic Gardens? Trying to think of somewhere we can go if its raining????
    Thanks in advance
    Claire
    Originally posted by Clairog
    The Chambers Street Museum and Museum of Scotland combined is a fantastic visit and free. Plenty interactive stuff for kids and specially good if raining. There's an area for having your packed lunch there (ask an attendant) I'm pretty sure a packed lunch would be ok at the botanic gardens too but can't be certain. Museum of Childhood on the High Street/Canongate is also free and well worth a visit for kids and adults on memory lane. Can't help with a code - sorry
    • gothrockchic1
    • By gothrockchic1 25th Nov 12, 10:32 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 5,744 Thanks
    gothrockchic1
    Craigmillar Castle and Edinburgh Castle free to get into but you need to book online

http://www.ticketgiveaway.co.uk/
    Make 2018 in 2018 No.11 325.34 /2018
    • oxters
    • By oxters 25th Nov 12, 10:47 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Craigmillar Castle and Edinburgh Castle free to get into but you need to book online

http://www.ticketgiveaway.co.uk/
    Originally posted by gothrockchic1
    Looks like Edinburgh Castle is sold out for 2 December but good spot for the rest of HS Sites
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter