council debt

tontoe
tontoe Posts: 9 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 19 November 2018 at 2:19PM in Debt-free wannabe
my wife and I are both pensioners we got our state pensions going into our joint account which we have had for years recently my wife who is registered blind,
got Parkinson`s disease and spent a lot of time in hospital her pension still going into our joint account she always paid for the food and household cleaning things, I paid the mortgage and bills.

The way it used to go was she would tell me to take money out the account to do the shopping and if she wanted money for something else I would give it her from our joint account.So we were used to living like this we had a routine and managed well. She got a social worker who got her admitted to a nursing home with my approval she lost her attendance allowance then a few months later she got pension credit this going into our joint account as well she was on national health care which the took her off it after a few months so the social worker told me I had to apply for council care allowance she said that would pay for her care but I might have to pay something out my wife's benefits.

So she was awarded I think it was £250 a week from the council to pay for her care I have lost the letter so it may have been more or less. This happened in January 17 So I just carried on as before come may I had heard nothing further so I assumed the money the council paid was enough now in November I got a letter saying a council worker and a social worker would be coming to my house to do a care assessment and a means test for my wife.

they asked me what I had done with the benefits and state pension of Doreen I said I asked around and nobody could tell me what to do with this money. I looked online and found a site which had case studies and there was one with a similar problem as mine and he had sought advice and been told he could spend the pension so that's what he did. I spent a bit of it on food like I always did over the years but I also had a savings account and put the rest in there.

The social worker apologized to me she said it had taken this long because she had forgot to put my wifes case on the computer. the council worker said I would have to pay £138 per week and £24.90 to the home for my wifes personal spending. then she told me £6000 had been spent by me and how much would I be able to pay back a month I said £100 a month which I thought I might be able to afford she accepted this but said but she might have to look into this amount after speaking to her boss.

I have been told to expect a phone call from one of her colleagues. I thought a £100 a month was quite a good offer seeing as if the social worker had done her job properly I would'nt be in this fix should I up my offer when her colleague phones me or dig my heels in. Thanks for any help received. I myself have personal problems as well having had 3 strokes years ago which has left me with right side weakness and a very bad memory. Also 2 heart attacks

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apologies if I have misunderstood but if the money is in a savings account can you not pay it off?

Before doing anything though I would request a full breakdown of all costs and payments so you can see where the bill has been incurred
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Find your local councillor and ask for their help. It sounds like the calculation may have been done incorrectly 22 months ago and there is an argument that (if so) you should not pay for that error.

https://www.writetothem.com/

I had a similar thing with mother-in-law a few years back. The social worker had used the Alzheimer's rate, which is higher than the standard rate. MIL was in care but did not have Alzheimers. I was asked to pay the extra amount after the reassessment a year or so later but was never asked to pay for their error.

On a more serious battle with them, my local councillor proved invaluable and I am friends with him still. I am well aware of how stressful this can be.
  • I did open a savings account and I suppose that's where the rest of the money is in it. But there is other money there from my betting activity there is not enough to pay the whole sum They are asking for, I could offer them some of it.But I have some of it earmarked for other things with Christmas coming ther up, I don't know whats mine and whats theirs.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In theory it is all your wifes (not theirs).

If you have received (example) 5k in her benefits/ pension then offset that value against the savings as thats her money. (If you choose to go down this route once you know if you are liable to pay it)

Ask them for a full breakdown so you know exactly what it is they want and why. Then follow fatbellys advice above. I wouldcrecommend getting in writing from them what they are asking for 1st.
  • Fatbellies advice seems the best see my local councillor whoever that is,seems i'll
    have to start with citizans advice they'll know who my councillor is. I don't want to give them money out my savings I thought £25 a week was adequate seeing as this is not all my fault I was only doing what I was used to doing. Thanks for all advice received guys.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    You just put your postcode in on the link I posted earlier

It gives you the contact details for your councillor
  • Thanks I may do that tomorrow when I have been told to phone the council worker who is going to try and get me to up my offer. Ill see how that goes first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure