We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing an neglected garden

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done! Exciting times :):beer:
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,010 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Fence is finished. :j Larch panels from local trees are much better than the old pallet slats.

Complete_1.jpg Complete_2.jpg

Gate is still to be done once the better weather comes back.

Another large step done to bring this back into use. Bark is coming this week and will be spread on Sunday.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Gers wrote: »
    Fence is finished. :j Larch panels from local trees are much better than the old pallet slats. G

True, but I'm rather fond of pallets which form the basis of my wood stores and my kindling supplies..

Looking good though!:)
  • Gers
    True, but I'm rather fond of pallets which form the basis of my wood stores and my kindling supplies..

Looking good though!:)

Pallets have their place, as you can see the old fence was pallets but you can also see how much they had detoriated in about 30 years. They served well, now the larch has a chance to serve equally well.
  • Gers
    Next stage done - the delivery of six 'dumpy' bags of bark today.

TP2.jpg

TP_1.jpg

Driver reckons I'll need two more, that's better than not needing it all. It'll be spread on Sunday if the weather holds.

:j:j
  • Gers
    edited 27 May 2018 at 6:43PM
    Bark is down! :j I really am jumping for joy (in my head!). The six dumpy bags were sufficient, perhaps a topping to be added next year if it all settles down.

Bark_1.jpg Bark_2.jpg

It's been such a roller coaster since last July - and well worth the wait. Now it needs the 'nice' stuff doing to it. Seats, bench, table, perennials, gin and tonic!

Thanks so much to those who advised me and supported me through stupid questions and general ignorance. Giving freely of advice and suggestions has been wonderful. I'll add more photos as and when more stuff is added, for now the main work has finished.

Now I'm going back out to stand in it for a wee while. :o
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Oh Gers thats lovely. Such a difference to the original tangled mess that was there before the cleanup started. :)
  • Gers
    Judi wrote: »
    Oh Gers thats lovely. Such a difference to the original tangled mess that was there before the cleanup started. :)

Thanks, I am very chuffed so far. Have to confess my involvement was paying the bills and offering hot / cold drinks.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Have you pinned the edges? Just checking, because I solve some of my gardening problems with landscape fabric, so I know how easily it can take off!

Looking good anyway. :T Half a dozen squash plants and you'll soon have it greened-up! :rotfl:
  • Gers
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Have you pinned the edges? Just checking, because I solve some of my gardening problems with landscape fabric, so I know how easily it can take off!

Looking good anyway. :T Half a dozen squash plants and you'll soon have it greened-up! :rotfl:

All pinned, though I'll check with the bloke who did it.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport