Tax Credits Please Help.

I have just been on the phone to tax credits as I noticed my payment differed to what I was expecting.
He asked if I was receiving any state benefits I said no. I did receive carers allowance between jan-mar 2017 however I called to end this when I informed them of my new employment and childcare.
He said that although I wasn't as showing an income from carers allowance their was a marker ticked showing I was in receipt of it (incorrectly) for the whole of the last financial year and without this marker I probably will not have been entitled and therefore will probably have a £0 claim going forward and a very large overpayment.
Please can someone help me?

myself, husband and 3 children on the claim. eldest child in receipt of DLA higher care component and low rate mobility.

My details are as follows.

2016/2017

husband worked 37 hours and earned £32292

I worked 20 hours up until 31/12/16
01/01/17-27/03/17 claimed carers allowance (run on until 16/04/17)

income £12304
taxable social security £932

2017/2018

husband worked 37 hours and earned £30802
plus was made redundant and received £5800 pay (not redundancy)

I worked 22 hours earned £13023 plus run on of carers allowance approx. £130

Childcare 06/04-21/07- average costs £213pw

22/07-01/09 -160pw

02/09-29/11-£123pw

from 30th November no childcare costs.

I estimated £48000 income so am (was) expecting an overpayment.

This financial year 2018/19

estimated husband £34000

myself £13720

Childcare started on 18/04 £52 per week.

can someone tell me without the carer marker would we still be entitled last year and will we be entitled this year?

Agent said because of marker I was showed as incapacitated and therefore entitled to childcare and without it would have no entitlement.

I 100% called and told them about stop in childcare at the same time as informing them I would be starting employment and have call details.

Thank you I am soo worried.

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    How long was your husband not working? What were the dates of his gap between jobs?

IQ
  • Racheloa85
    Racheloa85 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There was no gap between jobs. He finished one job on the Friday 20th jan 2017 and started new job on the Monday 23rd Jan

Thank you.
  • Icequeen99
    Racheloa85 wrote: »
    There was no gap between jobs. He finished one job on the Friday 20th jan 2017 and started new job on the Monday 23rd Jan

Thank you.

In that case, I can't see that the carer's marker has any relevance at all on your claim.

If I have understood what you have said, at all times that you claimed childcare costs you were both working at least 16 hours. The carer marker would only be relevant if your husband was working 16 to 24 hours and you were receiving carer's allowance.

I don't understand how this could related to the fact your payments dropped. It sounds like the marker was still set when he checked the system and so that wouldn't account for the reduction in payments (for recovery of an overpayment) even if it were incorrectly applied.

IQ
  • Racheloa85
    Thank you.

I think possibly my payments have dropped because our Real time wages have been added when the renewals were issued and they saw I had under estimated which I wasn't aware of until today. However the person on the phone was very that removing the carer marker would make a huge difference as our income would count us out of tax credits.

Thank you for your reassurance.
  • Racheloa85
    Also childcare costs were never claimed for whilst the claim the carers allowance was active except for the slight run on.
  • Icequeen99
    Thank you.

I think possibly my payments have dropped because our Real time wages have been added when the renewals were issued and they saw I had under estimated which I wasn't aware of until today. However the person on the phone was very that removing the carer marker would make a huge difference as our income would count us out of tax credits.

Thank you for your reassurance.

If it is definitely the carer's marker then it doesn't impact income - it is relevant only to how many hours you need to work to qualify for WTC (including the childcare element).

If it is one of the other markers (such as Income based jobseeker's) that would cause an overpayment if incorrectly applied because when it is marked, any income figures provided are ignored by the system.

IQ
  • Racheloa85
    it was definitely carers. no other benefits have ever been claimed.
    Thank you again. I have been crying at the thought of a considerable overpayment,
  • Icequeen99
    it was definitely carers. no other benefits have ever been claimed.
    Thank you again. I have been crying at the thought of a considerable overpayment,

If there is an overpayment there must be something else wrong. Wait for your next award notices and come back with a post and we can try and help understand it.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport