Bear market

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But then why not hold out for the crash? Same stock cheaper price., or am I missing something?

If you only buy when there's a crash can you tell me when you will sell? If I had a crystal ball I could work out how to maximize my returns, but I don't and only fools believe that they can consistently make money timing the market.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Treesie
    Treesie Posts: 53 Forumite
    But then why not hold out for the crash? Same stock cheaper price., or am I missing something?

You could ... if you knew when it was and which stocks were the right stocks. There is no easy way to become rich on the stock market.
  • sixpence.
    sixpence. Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    While I agree with the comments here, I also empathise with the OP.

I am about to stick 3K in a fund (because the money has come available to me now). I know I should stick it in straight away, but it is tempting to wait, even 6 weeks or so, for that fund to drop a few percent. Right now it's almost the highest it's ever been and that feels intimidating.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 12:14PM
    sixpence. wrote: »

I am about to stick 3K in a fund (because the money has come available to me now). I know I should stick it in straight away, but it is tempting to wait, even 6 weeks or so, for that fund to drop a few percent. Right now it's almost the highest it's ever been and that feels intimidating.

Agreed, its impossible to judge. In february I added 10K to my Scottish Mortgage holding after a 5% drop. In the next couple of days it dropped another 7%. From the lowest point it is now up 20% however I am up about 13%. Around this time in february there were commentators saying that this was the begining of the crash.

It is guesswork trying to find the bottom (I wasn't really trying but the opportunity came up much like you). Had I not taken the risk then I wouldn't be currently £1300 better off just from this one investment. It could all go terribly wrong tomorrow. I plan on keeping this for 15 more years so that worry about a 7% difference will be irrelevent soon
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite

It could rise a few percent in those six weeks too. The whole point is that you don't know and, over time, the ups and downs of the market are likely to even out. You are better off putting the money in now, if you are going to keep the investment for a decent length of time.
  • sixpence.
    Yeah I think the solution is to hold investments for a long time (10-15 years at least) and that way the unpredictable fluctuations of the market will be less significant.
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    It could rise a few percent in those six weeks too. The whole point is that you don't know and, over time, the ups and downs of the market are likely to even out. You are better off putting the money in now, if you are going to keep the investment for a decent length of time.

Yeah but it was also be so great if the market dropped 5% in that time. Like you say though, it is impossible to know.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm new to investing and was wondering; why would someone invest today when tomorrow the same investment might be a fraction of today price?

All the sound bites I'm reading; there is a 40% correction on the horizon?

thanks
    You're absolutely correct, a 40% correction is coming, so best to wait............

hang on a mo, it's a year on and it hasn't happened, but.......

I think I'll just wait a bit longer..........

10 years later the 40% crash happens, so pile your devalued money in right away......

That feels really good, I saved loads didn't I?

Well no, in those past 10 years the FTSE100 has risen 81.5% with divis reinvested - happy days, but then all us experts on MSE know this and just stay in the market through thick and thin to build huge portfolios. Good luck
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite

I'd suggest you "drip feed".

Invest 1k now (or tomorrow as it's Sunday today!)
    Another 1k in 6 weeks
    remaining 1k 6 weeks later.

I'ts easier to take baby steps this way and you know effects of any price fluctuations will be reduced
  • sixpence.
    I'd suggest you "drip feed".

Invest 1k now (or tomorrow as it's Sunday today!)
    Another 1k in 6 weeks
    remaining 1k 6 weeks later.

I'ts easier to take baby steps this way and you know effects of any price fluctuations will be reduced

Yeah I think I'll do this. I had 9K to put in my VLS in January and I'm so glad I drip fed it because the fund dropped about 5%.

But, of course drip feeding doesn't actually make tactical sense and is mostly psychological, right?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Yeah I think I'll do this. I had 9K to put in my VLS in January and I'm so glad I drip fed it because the fund dropped about 5%.

But, of course drip feeding doesn't actually make tactical sense and is mostly psychological, right?

Yes, it is psychological. Lump sums are likely to outperform drip-feeding.

All those losses on VLS have now recovered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure