Who pays for social care ?

Options

Comments

• 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was in this very same position with my Mom.
    My Dads share of the house was left to myself and my Brother and as soon as it was obvious my Mom needed to go into care i spoke to 2 estate agents and had the house valued and asked for the figure to be based on what is achievable and not a starting figure price.

Both my Brother and myself ended up buying Moms share and we now let the property out.

This enabled Mom to live in care home of our choice to make sure we were happy with her care.
    Without the self funding option the LA would find a limited amount of care homes to choose from and you're choise would be very limited

Like you also, the house was the family house. Myself and my Brother were actually born in the house so yes there are lots of emotional ties to the house but it was a home purchased by my parents and while it stuck in the throat to use their lifesaving of care when other who have never saved a penny got the same care eventually we realised that this was my Moms money and if it helped her in her later years then so be it and it no longer eats away at us.

We now have the piece of mind knowing that Mom has the 24 hour care when its required.

My Moms care home was approx £800 per week so it didnt take too long to fall down to the £23250 limit and now she is part funded by the LA with her pension, etc making up the rest leaving her with her personal allowance of approx £25 per week

Feel free to ask any questions on here or with a PM
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can certainly buy you mums share out but it will need to be purchased at the full market value not some knocked down rate, as that would be deemed to be deliberate depreciation of assets. If you cannot do that then the house will need to be sold.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Options
    Something else to bear in mind before making drastic decisions, is that, and I am sad to be so blunt, the length of stay in a care home is unpredictable. My mum lived just 7months after moving into a care home, though it has to be said that six of those she was very well and happy, without the worry of where the next meal was coming from and with companionship whenever she wanted it.
    With hindsight, we were glad we had not made any long term drastic decisions. She was self-funding from the outset, and only after she had clearly settled did we put the house on the market. Sadly she died before the sale went through.
    If it seems likely that someone may live a long time a care needs annuity may be a good idea. Sorry, this does not answer your question, though others have; it just gives another angle.
  • Stevietee
    Stevietee Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone in a similar position and they rent out the home to contribute to the care home fees. I don't know the ins and outs of any tax implications, I suspect that technically it is income your mother is receiving and any tax implication would be dependent on any other income she has. Most certainly an option worth exploring. Good luck.
  • beattiesman
    beattiesman Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my mum has decided it may be time to go in a home,my brother bought the flat for her over 20 years ago. 2 years ago the local council have put in a wet room & a ramp outside & arranged care workers to come in of a morning to wash & dress her & back of a night to undress her,what is the procedure do I get in touch with her local council & ask for a social worker
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    In the absence of any other replies i thought i would reply with our family situation

Mu Mom had to go into hospital and during her stay it was obvious she wouldnt be able to look after herself at home.
    Being as she was in the hospital i think it was easier to get the relevant departments involved

The 1st step was for the council social care department to assign a social worker to my Moms case and then a few visits to see my Mom followed by an assessment

If i were you my 1st port of call would be to the local social care team and let them know what you are looking at and they will advise the correct procedure.

Good luck and just remember some of the social workers out there can be hard to deal with
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does she have the means to pay for residential care? If not she will need to be assessed by social services, but be aware It is not easy to get approval for LA funded residential care.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 8:39PM
    Options
    If she has the money she can move into a care home whenever she likes, if they assess they can meet her needs. However if she chooses an expensive one then she will have to move when she stops being able to self fund unless family are willing and able to pay the difference. Which can be hundreds a month.

If she is looking for the local authority to fund her (I'm presuming not the level of nursing needs that would qualify her for health funding) then her starting point would be to request an updated care needs assessment from the local authority. If she doesn't actually need residential care then they will be reluctant to agree it as (funding aside) most people do better in their own homes. But if her needs have changed this could identify any new needs she has that currently aren't being met, and offer more support.

Why does she want to go into care? Does she need more help, is she lonely does she want to feel more secure, has she considered the half way options such as housing with care? (Own flat but staff on hand when needed.) More daytime activities?

Was there any agreement when the wet room etc were put in about finances if she needed to move on?
    Has mum been to look at homes at the level she can afford to get a feeling for what they offer?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 May 2018 at 2:46AM
    Options
    If the local authority have already put care visits in place twice a day (whether or not she is self funding for it - paying via the Council), then she's already been assigned to a social worker, call Adult Social Services & ask who it is.

That was the case with my late FiL.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • beattiesman
    beattiesman Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for your answers so far, the situation is complicated as my brother lives with my mum & he has took equity release on the flat so as I understand there wont be any money or not a lot if the flat is sold,she has very little savings so couldn't fund herself ,even though he lives with her he does very little to help she is in a wheelchair & has very limited mobility she cant cook anything or make a cup of tea .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure