IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

LBC from Trace Debt Recovery on behalf of PCM UK

Hi,

I had a private ticket in January 2018 for parking in a disabled bay without a valid blue badge.

I've been researching through the newbie thread and other threads on MSE since.

I did an IAS appeal which was obviously pointless.

Have had a few letters from PCM UK and now begun receiving letters from Trace Debt Recovery.

Todays letter: 'Final Demand For Payment' from Trace - I'm assuming this is the letter before claim. Can you please advise if it is, and if I should act(following the advice from the newbies thread) or should I keep ignoring it. I think it's the LBC but not sure. They're saying they will be forwarding it to their solicitors if I do not pay then they will pursue court action.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The letter from Trace is a debt collector's letter.
    It is not a Letter Before Claim.
    Debt collectors have no power and cannot issue a LBC.

Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky give comprehensive guidance on how to deal with debt collector's letters.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • larrysfu
    larrysfu Posts: 9 Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    The letter from Trace is a debt collector's letter.
    It is not a Letter Before Claim.
    Debt collectors have no power and cannot issue a LBC.

Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky give comprehensive guidance on how to deal with debt collector's letters.
    Thanks for that. At least my mind has been set to ease. Can their solicitors issue a LBC or is it only the PPC that can do so?
    The_Deep wrote: »
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.

Wow. I've jut watched the whole of that 2nd Reading. I see that it's been passed to a bill committee for now. I will be writing to complain to my MP tonight, but I don't suppose they'd be able to help with my fine in specific would they?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    larrysfu wrote: »
    Can their solicitors issue a LBC or is it only the PPC that can do so?
    The PPC can send a Letter Before Calim if they wish, or they can instruct solicitors to do so on their behalf.

As debt collectors are neither the claimant or the claimant's legal representative, they cannot issue a LBC.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't suppose they'd be able to help with my fine in specific would they?

Yes, some MPs certainly step in to help constituents complain. Plenty at the debate said they had.

But why was the car in a disabled bay, was it because:

- the bay was badly marked/unsigned or unlit, so the driver had no idea?

- an occupant of the car is disabled but for whatever reason no BB was displayed?

or

- the driver chanced it?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I have read this thread plus many others and I think a mix of old and up to date news has got me a bit confused.

I also received a Parking charge from Pcm and ignored it. I am now receiving letters from trace.

I have not contacted PCM or trace at all. I know to ignore the letters from trace as they are to try and scare me to pay (nearly worked) should I now contact PCM or continue to ignore them as well?

No contact has happened apart from the letters to me. I was meant to appeal but missed the dates.

Is it best to still ignore all of them or to contact PCM and try to appeal it now?

I know it's very similar to this but not clear answer for what to do from what u have read.

Thanks in advance.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Felix_old wrote: »

Is it best to still ignore all of them or to contact PCM and try to appeal it now?

I know it's very similar to this but not clear answer for what to do from what u have read.

Thanks in advance.

You chance to appeal is long gone now

Just ignore unless you get real court papers.
    THIS CANNOT COME FROM TRACE ..... POWERLESS BUNCH

Follow what has been said above
  • Thank You, from your experience is it a high chance it will end up in court?

Would this also mean it will end up costing more then £160? I don't want to ruin credit scores or have all the hassle of court (in case I was to loose).

The reason I asked is because in every post I have read the person who is being bombarded with letter has tried to appeal in the first place, where as I have had no contact from day 1.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have you read the newbies thread, and its links through to the PADI database? You can find this info out for yourself.

Court isnt that much of a hassle, and no ruined creidit score unless you lose, and are unbelievably stupid and dont pay up.

Appealing or otherwise is mostly irrelevant in whether they will try court or not> It owuld imply they had briancells to rub together.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Felix_old wrote: »
    Thank You, from your experience is it a high chance it will end up in court?

Would this also mean it will end up costing more then £160? I don't want to ruin credit scores or have all the hassle of court (in case I was to loose).

The reason I asked is because in every post I have read the person who is being bombarded with letter has tried to appeal in the first place, where as I have had no contact from day 1.

It does not mean that it will go to court and if it does, you
    have all the help here.

Please understand that the parking scammers will no
    longer be interested in an appeal. regardless of what you say

Your credit score is 100% safe.

You can only get marks on your credit score if it goes
    to court, you lost, the court orders you pay and then
    you don't pay ..... it's then a CCJ

Currently, you are in the driving seat regarding
    your credit score
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors