Debt Payments, Next Step Please

My very first post after following advice to others on this forum. Had credit card debt of £37,000. I have now reduced it to £21,220. I have a mortgage of £42,000 on endowment with 5 years to go. House is worth £225,000. My wife will not condone a re-mortgage hence this is out of the question. My cards are as follows;

Halifax 1 £10,607 int £0 pcm 0% 'till 6 June 2005
Cap-1 £5,478 int £18 pcm 3.9% for life
Barclay £3376 int £0 pcm 0% till paid off but have to spend £25 pcm
Barclay £909 int £5 pcm 6.9% till paid off
Barclay £850 int £11 pcm 14.9% and growing by £25 plus interest pcm

TOTAL £21,220 £34 pcm

My total payments are £488 pcm. I can afford to pay an extra £120 pcm off my cards. I also have £4,000 credit in my Abbey account (which I would like to pay towards one of my cards). I will have to move my Halifax balance in May. I thought of taking an Abbey 0% nine month card out, as it is my bank. My problem is, how much will they offer on Balance transfer? I have been with Abbey for 9 years and have not had any problems.My salary of £2,000 pcm is paid into my account. What advice can you offer please?
Don't waste your words I don't need,
Anything from you.
I don't care where you've been or,
What you plan to do.

Comments

• It seems to me the biggest danger is that you will not be able to balance transfer to cover all of your Halifax One, and that everything needs to be used to make sure you aren't going to get hit with high interest on that.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would want to use that £4K towards the Halifax, if necessary. But you don't want to use it YET, because Halifax is still at 0%. So if you haven't used a cash ISA this year, I would put £3K into an Abbey Postal ISA, and the rest in another Abbey savings account. You'll use it before long, but might as well get some good interest on it until you do, and by having Abbey accounts you may get a better credit limit when you try for an Abbey card. I don't KNOW that they'll look at that, but it can't hurt. Add your extra available to that savings every month.

If Abbey gives you a high enough limit to take the whole Halifax debt, then you have deferred that crisis for another 9 months, but the 0% offers may dry up for you, so you need to keep an eye on that one all the time, and probably reserve/build your savings towards the end of that 9 months. If not, then the remaining Halifax debt is priority #1, and you need to use your savings and anything extra you can pay to clear it ASAP.

I'm not clear on your Barclaycard situation re: the 6.9%. Is that on the same card that you have the 0% and the 14.9%, or is it a separate debt? If the same, your net rate on that card is about 3.5%, so this is still pretty low priority. If separate, the 6.9% becomes your second highest priority (after the Halifax/Abbey debt), and you might even consider clearing it now, since that might help your credit rating when you apply for a new card.

Not right now, but later, you need to watch the 0% Barclaycard. The net rate you owe on that debt is increasing all the time, but it is still pretty low. The problem is, by paying extra on it, you are paying off 0% debt, which is useless to you, because that is where payments are applied first. So it NEVER makes sense to pay extra on it until those extra payments are cutting into the higher interest debt. If you paid an extra £100 today on Barclaycard, it wouldn't save you any interest at all until years from now!

So again, when it comes time to tackle Barclaycard, you want to start putting the extra payments into savings until you have more than enough to pay all of the 0% debt. The time to take it out of savings and pay it on the card is when the amount of interest you will save on the card exceeds the amount of interest you are earning on savings. Interest on savings is simply the AER times the amount in savings. Savings on the card will be determined by taking total savings, subtracting the outstanding 0% balance, and multiplying the amount that is left by the rate on the card.

Hope that all makes sense....
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • simonleblank
    simonleblank Posts: 369 Forumite
    Cheers for the advice Digger, I have changed my Abbey current a/c to one that pays 2% interest, hoping it will bear well when I apply for a Credit Card, will let u know in May
    Don't waste your words I don't need,
    Anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or,
    What you plan to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business