Worth restarting old small business?

A couple of years ago, I ran a small jewellery business which I did as a sole trader side job as I was also working full time.
I registered with HMRC, paid what I needed to and after a years trial, finished on a profit - and that was without me putting too much effort into it.

I have just given birth, I am now on maternity leave with SMP but because of childcare, we are deciding whether to return to my old job or find a part-time job .

I however would love to bring back the business, I've had a year break and was looking into what I needed to restart it again .
However, I have seen the Autumn budget has now changed things for self employed.

Basically, I am planning on being in a part time job, at present, we earn too much for benefits and the only one we get is Child Tax Credit but I was wondering if it's worthwhile trying my business again.
I didn't make masses of money as a lot of it was pumped back I to stocks as I used my own money to start it and never took out any loans but in the end i had came out on a profit.

I'm afraid I'm not the best understanding business legalities so unsure how this might hamper us.

Thanks

Comments

• Denbyas
    Denbyas Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry it's child benefit at £20 we get not child tax credit ��
  • If it turned a profit. Explore the options
    To make money work for me
    To save and do great things with the family
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    If it’s something you’re passionate about, it’s worth looking into.

I went part time about 10 years ago to pursue what’s now a full-time business, making the money up by cabbing for ghe first few years due to 5e flexibility required at the time. It was the best decision I made.

Had I hated what I was looking to do, I definitely wouldn’t have given up a job I enjoyed for it.
    💙💛 💔
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Denbyas wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, I ran a small jewellery business which I did as a sole trader side job as I was also working full time.
    I registered with HMRC, paid what I needed to and after a years trial, finished on a profit - and that was without me putting too much effort into it.

I have just given birth, I am now on maternity leave with SMP but because of childcare, we are deciding whether to return to my old job or find a part-time job .

I however would love to bring back the business, I've had a year break and was looking into what I needed to restart it again .
    However, I have seen the Autumn budget has now changed things for self employed.

Basically, I am planning on being in a part time job, at present, we earn too much for benefits and the only one we get is Child Tax Credit but I was wondering if it's worthwhile trying my business again.
    I didn't make masses of money as a lot of it was pumped back I to stocks as I used my own money to start it and never took out any loans but in the end i had came out on a profit.

I'm afraid I'm not the best understanding business legalities so unsure how this might hamper us.

Thanks

I would urge you to seek the advice of an accountant as you appear to fail to understand what profit really is ;)

The simple purchase of stock alone has no effect on profit.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Aquamania wrote: »
    I would urge you to seek the advice of an accountant as you appear to fail to understand what profit really is ;)

The simple purchase of stock alone has no effect on profit.

I think OP is referring to the cashflow element, which is how I read it.

Theoretically though, you are correct.
    💙💛 💔
  • Denbyas
    :)
    I ran the company for fun for s year to see if I could do.it and came out with some profit without including any excess stock I had left.
    I originally started using £50 of my own funds to buy some silver and rotated the money in and out on materials but at the end I think I finished on a few hundred and that was just selling loosely on easy and with out advertising / stalls etc so i called it a win for a new hobby I learned a few months earlier.

The concern I have is if I leave my job and temporary take on a part time job and pursue this as a side venture again until I feel ready to do this full time, would it put me in a bad position Moneywise - I've just went on Maternity Leave and just my husbands wage alone (without even counting my Ft wage) just puts us over the threshold for benefits so the only one we could claim was child benefit which is about £20 - it's not a lot of money but it's something extra.

I had seen in the autumn budget they had changed something for self employed people where they no longer paid a lower level of tax if their business was not a high earner, which mines never was.

I would love to pursue this again and this time do it properly but I'm concerned if I do, if I get s Pt job AND run this venture that it will dent us financially by either stopping the Cb or requesting additional tax despite not selling much, at a time when we pretty much need extra money for the baby.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm babbling - I'm terrible understanding finances at times :undecided
  • Denbyas
    (sorry for a lot of the mis-spells, new phone,)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not your joint income which affects your child benefit, it's if either partner earns about the threshhold for claiming, so unless your partner is near that limit, what you decide to do is unlikely to make any difference.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport