• redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey :wave:

I'm here waving you on :)

You will do awesome, I have complete faith in you

Try not to feel deflated, you have done so much already :) xx

Thank You :beer:. I'll be trying my best to sort myself out. I honestly can't believe this debt has racked up so much!

Lydia42 wrote: »
    Don't feel deflated. You're doing great. Write a list of the things you want to get done, and pick off a few easy ones to start with. That will help get you motivated and you'll be able to see things getting crossed off the list. My 'to do' list seems to keep growing but i can actually see i have achieved something when i look back, instead of panicking over what i haven't got done.
    Just a quick suggestion about your council tax - have you spread this over 12 months? It's not something they seem to tell people, but if you call them they do offer this as an option instead of over 10 months. It gave us a bit more breathing space each month. Little things soon add up.
    Hope you have a good day :-)

Good luck with the gym by the way. I went back to slimming world this morning - summer holidays have definitely caused tighter trouser syndrome hahahaha

Thanks. I had hoped to get a free 12wk SW membership, but my gp surgery stopped it earlier this year and only offer the gym/swimming membership. Given we got whacked with £105 NHS fine a few weeks ago, I'll take anything I can get off them lol. Good luck with SW. I am pondering joining back up myself, but will try just cutting back on junk along with the gym for now.

Unfortunately the council debt in my list is a housing benefit overpayment from when dh and I were both out of work earlier this year. When he got back into work we left it a couple of weeks to tell them as he had to work 2wks before he got any wages. We do pay our council tax over 12 months, although that is higher than it should be again, due to the switch over between council tax benefit and going back to paying it all... it is about £35pm higher for the rest of the year! Maybe one day I will be able to pay it all off at the beginning of the year and not have to worry about it monthly ;)
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    Options
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    Thank You :beer:. I'll be trying my best to sort myself out. I honestly can't believe this debt has racked up so much!

It’s soooooo easy to do, ours has gone up as well. But I’m happy with where we are in life if that makes sense.
    Don’t beat yourself up, you got this xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Afternoon, Diary :A

Yesterday turned out a pretty busy day! My eldest son bought a motorbike, so I had to take him to work, then collect him at lunch time to go to the bank, then take him back to work. In between that I took younger two to trampoline centre (we had bought the summer passes) and buy last minute school bits inc lunch boxes! I then had to get in the attic to dig out all the husband's motorbike clobber. Dh got home at 4pm then we picked Ds1 up at 5pm and set off to get the bike. The M6 was rammed yesterday evening and it took forever. We also had to stop for some food on the way back as we were starving, having had no dinner. We finally arrived home with the bike at 10pm! I feel shattered today.

Anyway, because of the hectic day yesterday there was nothing done on the dfw plan, but today I decided to go through our statements for the last 3 months to ascertain why we are always short for the bills (this month we are short £350) I am embarrassed to post what I discovered, but here goes:

On a mixture of clothes, the pub, takeaways/fastfood, holiday (in August), and random other stuff like Amazon/ebay/Wilko/B&M types spends, plus NHS fines and car repairs... We spent:

June: £489:(
    July: £646:mad:
    August: £906:eek: :mad:

There are other random cash withdrawals that I have no idea what they were for so haven't listed them. Also in August I have spent about £200 on DS1's birthday (which is in November) So that will be on top of the August figure. Just the pub and takeaways/fastfood comes to around £200 in July and August and £150 in June, but most of that was for my brother's wedding (daytime meal and evening drinks), so slightly more justified :cool:

I need to work out some way of separating the money, so we don't spend what we shouldn't. June is when DH started work, which is why it is the lower figure. But when he was out of work we didn't have a penny spare each month, everything was (should have been) accounted for... Then in July and August we had (I have just worked out) £240 per month as 'spare spends' not taking into account saving for Christmas, birthday, or car repairs. So really we may have had about £50 to spend on treats... No wonder we are up the creek without a paddle :(

I am going to get DH to sit down tonight and show him the figures. I'm not going to lie and blame it all on him, although he is slightly more frivolous than I am, but we are both to blame... we both spent the money and we both need to stop.

I feel like this diary is like a non-religious confessional :p Although I'm not sure if I feel better or worse for my outpourings. At the moment it stings. I feel stupid, useless and deluded. Like, how on earth could I not see this. I did keep saying to DH that we were spending too much, but I never actually checked PROPERLY and worked out HOW much we were overspending.

I hope we can come up with a plan to cut this ridiculous spending habit of ours.
  • redmel1621
    edited 1 September 2018 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Wow, Wow, Wow! I don't even know what to say. Today I sat dh down and went through everything... how much we have been overspending, how much we owe, how much our income/outgoings are etc etc... I also told him we needed to transfer £300 from his account to the joint account, in order to cover the rent and bills.
    His account has £500 (down from £1000) that was a tax rebate and he was trying to save it to buy a motorbike. This would then be his main way of travelling to work and would avoid tunnel/bridge fees, as well as be cheaper to run than a 2nd car...
    Anyway, he said he understood and is more than happy to cut back on visits to the pub, takeaways/fast food and is completely on board with trying to stick within our £240 spending budget for this month... That was 10am-12pm,,, fast forward to the 1.30pm in the afternoon and e informs me that as we need to use pretty much all the money from the savings account to pay the bills this month we are never going to get the motorbike fund back up to be able to afford a bike... so he is going to look at trading in our 2nd car (only worth about £400 as it was his dads little 04 Yaris that he gave to us when he bought a new car) and get the bike on finance for the rest of it. Okaaaayyyy.... Fast forward to 2.05 and he tells me that he has taken out a personal loan instead and will buy a bike then when we sell the car we can pay off the credit union, that along with not paying car ins and car tax on the 2nd car will pretty much cover the monthly loan payment. The only thing is the credit union loan has 6mths to run, the bike loan is over 36mths.- liiiitle bit of a difference there.

I'm not as annoyed as I probably should be because as long as we are both working we will be fine. We will still be able to work towards paying things off. Plus I know that the bike will be cheaper to run than the 2nd car is.

BUT that is it.... No more! Time to pay it off and clear it once and for all. 4yrs until we are debt free.
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Err... at least he is on board with cutting down on spending? Not sure what those thought processes of his are! Would it be worth crunching the numbers on loan interest rates to see how much the bike will cost? What if his contract isn't renewed?

Re the overspending, remember the Librarian's adage: Knowledge = Power. You know what is happening now, so you have the power to do something about it.
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Err... at least he is on board with cutting down on spending? Not sure what those thought processes of his are! Would it be worth crunching the numbers on loan interest rates to see how much the bike will cost? What if his contract isn't renewed?

Re the overspending, remember the Librarian's adage: Knowledge = Power. You know what is happening now, so you have the power to do something about it.

I know, right! :(
    I know he was probably thinking about the takeaways/pub visits etc and, from what he has said, in his mind he thinks that by getting the bike this way it will save us a bit of money on running costs and selling the car will pay off one of the smaller debts, plus he did add on at the end that if he finds a bike he like for a bit less he will use the leftover money to pay off one of the other small debts... His logic is different to mine.

Whilst I have had my LBM and want to clear our debts, not add to them, he clearly hasn't. He says he is on board, but then gets a loan. In all honesty I'm not sure what he is thinking... I just hope he is right about still being in work after this contract ends. We will be able to scrape by if he isn't, but won't be able to overpay anything (will probably have to cut payments) and will have no spare money at all. If he is in work, we will be fine...

Unfortunately he got a call last night to say his dad has been taken to A&E with intense stomach pain and needs to have an operation to remove some intestine, then a week later we will get the results.. they aren't sure if it is cancer, or something like cysts... So I am not going to get n his case about money right now.
  • redmel1621
    Options
    I have updated the figures as some regular monthly payments are going out in the morning, but I am at work all day tomorrow so might not get a chance to do it.

I am also starting a spending diary, so every penny we spend this month is recorded....
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    It is a great thing to have a spending diary to track where every £££ is going. It really helps to watch every penny, to reduce unnecessary spending from your monthly budget :)

Good luck on your journey...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • redmel1621
    Options
    It is a great thing to have a spending diary to track where every £££ is going. It really helps to watch every penny, to reduce unnecessary spending from your monthly budget :)

Good luck on your journey...

Thanks. I have started it from yesterday....
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    I think a lot of us have partners with a rather different idea of money management! At the end of the day you can only change yourself, but hopefully if you are consistent he will get there too :). And it sounds like he's moving in the right direction in any case.

Hope you get some good news about your FIL.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback