PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Magimix 5200XL Premium - Mistake ?

Was at the Good Food Show yesterday, have wanted a food processor for a while. Had a large Moulineaux one years agombutmgave it away, it was one of those double ones, big bowl and blender on the side.

Anyway saw the Magimix at the show and my friend was looking at one because she was considering a Kitchenaid for Xmas but decided to go with the Magimix.

As I said I have had need of a food processor on several occasions and even bought one of those magic bullets which was pretty useless.
So I too went ahead and purchased it (however JL were price matching and so got the show to price match at the show so paid £333 instead of £370).

In the cold light of day now though I am wondering whether it has been a wise purchase. I already own a Kitchenaid, Kitchenaid ice cream attachment, bamix, handmixer, Lakeland chipping gadget, bread maker, blender. These are all machines that they say a Magimix can replicate.

Your thoughts please, should I cancel my order or do you think the Magimix was a good investment.
£2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz

Comments

• mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    I would cancel because it's £30+ cheaper on Amazon.

Actually, ignore me - that's not the Premium :)
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • ellawood
    ellawood Posts: 222 Forumite
    do you think you will use it or will it be like mine safe in a cupboard as it takes so much room out on the worktop I dont use mine very often
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    How many of you have both. I use my Kitchenaid for cakes, meringues, ice cream and mashed potatoes and that is pretty much it.

Oh and whipping cream but having said that I don't think my cakes are as good with the Kitchenaid as they are with the handmixer probably because I have a tendency to watch it in fascination and the batter gets over beaten. I also use the paddle which they suggest for cakes which always surprises me as hand mixers have whisk attachments.

• mmmsnow
    To be fair, I have a Magimix 4200 and a KitchenAid stand mixer and I use them all the time. I have them both out on my counter top which helps.
  • kazd
    I think I would keep it out (I ordered cream so it would match my Kitchenaid and Nespresso machine, quite fancy the see through matching toaster as well!)

• kazd
    I do still want a food processor and was considering a Magimix and just wondering have I gone over the top with the premium. It comes with a large and small feed Shute, doughmaking and baking bowl, smoothie kit, mashing and pur!e kit, three different size bowls, egg whisk, creative kit (different shape veggies), variety of other slicing discs, juicer and a dice and French fry kit.

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have an older Magimix that I have had for quite a few years (4200 I think). I bought it when they brought them out in duck egg blue :D

I can honestly say it has been great - I keep it out on the worktop and have used it loads. I also have an elderly Kenwood Chef and a stick blender thingy. They all do different jobs IYSWIM.

The 5200 ones are bigger and more expensive, almost like a professional machine - but if you are always cooking or have a big family it might be more useful (?)

Magimix appliances are really robust and it is easy to get spares and extra attachments.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 15,524 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've got both the small 3200 magimix and the kitchen aid mixer and use them both. I think the thing is if you can keep them out on your kitchen work top. They are both heavy and if I had to keep putting them away I wouldn't use them half as much. The 3200 is plenty big enough for me but if I'd still got a large family around I'd have had a bigger size.

Only you can judge how much you cook and the quantities you cook but as a brand I'm very happy with the magimix and if it ever expired I get another.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • plum2002
    plum2002 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    I LOVE my magimix - i've had a number of food processors over the years and burnt out the motor on every one!! I always put off getting a magimix because of the price, false economy! You won't regret buying it, it's a fantastic machine, my magimix and kenwood chef live out on the counter and I use them both pretty much daily.
    Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own canoe.

“Don’t have children if you can’t afford them” is the “Let them eat cake” of the 21st century. It doesn’t matter how children got here, they need and deserve to be fed.
  • mmmsnow
    kazd wrote: »
    It comes with a large and small feed Shute, doughmaking and baking bowl, smoothie kit, mashing and pur!e kit, three different size bowls, egg whisk, creative kit (different shape veggies), variety of other slicing discs, juicer and a dice and French fry kit.

The 4200 came with most of that stuff (the creative kit was free but I had to mail a coupon to Magimix so I'm not sure if the offer is still going) and was a hundred and odd pounds cheaper.

If you don't need the extra size, I would consider the model down or the 5200 (not premium). You aren't going to use half this stuff in reality. I've used the juicer about twice in two years (and it's a pig to clean :D).

This is the one I've got:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230878170/Product.aspx

Although, if I remember correctly, I waited on Amazon for them to restock and jumped when the price came down (I do this a lot, it's very sad, I know) to £189.99. You can price track using Camel Camel Camel - just put in the URL to the Amazon product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport