Great What to Buy in Duty Free Hunt

Comments

• maryink
    maryink Posts: 12 Forumite
    3 or so weeks ago there was a massive Pimm's promotion in duty free - 2 litres for £15. A week earlier I'd bought 1 litre at Tesco on special for £11.99 so realized it was quite a good deal. I can't remember (I wonder why...) if it was World Duty Free or some other shop but the same offer was on at Heathrow and Gatwick. Good deal if it is still on.

More generally, I'd say browse around the supermarket sites before you go so you have an idea of current prices and offers. Then you'll know what's a bargain.

As for me, I'd rather be shot in the square than drink Pimm's ever again...
  • JONNYQUANGO
    JONNYQUANGO Posts: 10 Forumite
    if you are changing planes or leaving singapore be sure to but your dury free ciggies there . brand names retail at 75p per 20 (compared to over £2 elsewhere) . i was in transit there returning from new zealand and this knowledge meant i resisted buying stuff at auckland airport and waited . saving over £20 !!!!
    if i had known then what i know now
  • myk_2
    myk_2 Posts: 117 Forumite
    We are off to Florida in a few weeks time.

So I thought I would ask for advice for great bargains in Florida compared to the UK.

Interested in anything really....as long as its a lot cheaper over there than here! ;)

TIA
  • jmcateer wrote:
    Anyone know the situation with duty free in Prague?

Now EU so no more duty free...

Switzerland however :j :beer:
    LBM: Nov 2004 Debt Apr06: £19,273.46 (Highest)
    Debt 2006: Jul:£18,552.06|Aug:£17,615.14|Sep:£16,297.98|Oct:£15,961|Nov:£15,760.66|Dec:£13,204.37
    Debt 2007: Jan:£13,183.71|Feb:£13,851.03|Mar:£13,349.15|April:£12,997.33 | May: £12,300.00 | June: £12,000 | July: £9,894.44 |Aug:£0
    Debt Free Date: 31 August 2007
    The £2 Coin Savers Club = £72
    Reclaiming my bank charges - £105 reclaimed
    My Diary: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=230561
  • tsar76
    tsar76 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    but confused with this. But if I buy a camera at dixon duty free to go on holiday to the usa, when I return is the camera part of the stuff I have bought while awhile, so if all my purchases go over £145 I have to declare them? Or is the camera excluded and I can show them my receipt and they are happy that I bought it in the UK.
  • caroline.
    caroline. Posts: 54 Forumite
    Bristol Airport

just to let you know, there is a superdrug in the departure lounge at bristol airport, and all their prices are the same as in their high street stores!
  • eggey
    eggey Posts: 156 Forumite
    I got back from Croatia on Monday, and to be precise, Rijerka airport. As I'm aware Croatia is out of the EU. Peering around their shops and stuff there wasn't that much that can eb found for too much cheaper than at home. Obviously the local spirits such as sljivovjica are cheaper, but not much else. As a vodka drinker 2 things did stand out to me though. 1 litre of Absolut vodka I paid 10 euros (£6.84 according to xe.com) which is less than half its price here (generally about £14ish) and a half litre botle of smirnoff vodka was 5 euros or £3.42 which is pretty good considering you'd struggle to find a 33cl bottle for less than a fiver! I was very happy with this, but not many other bargains I have to say. Chocolate and electricals were much more expensive.
  • tummy_tank
    tummy_tank Posts: 219 Forumite
    visaria wrote:
    If you're looking to buy gold (be it jewellery, coins etc) then you're better off buying in the Dubai government airport shops than spending hours haggling in the the gold souks. Everything is fixed price, so no haggling but you will not be ripped off. Only downside is there's far more variety in the souk market.

I'm sure last time i came through dubai duty free the Gin (gordon's) was about £6.50 a litre, Bombay was a bit more expensive, you can also buy in the way in! at a wee shop after passport control on the way to baggage collection
  • I am no expert on VAT & Duty Free, and have little experience of countries beyond the Eastern edge of the EU, but here are a few pointers.

- Duty Free started because in the days of sailing ships passengers took items for the voyage (eg edible food) BUT nobody knew how long the passage would take under wind power; So to avoid punch ups in customs on arrival, the concept of "Duty Free" was invented for the excess.

Small items, such as CD's can be ordered over the internet and shipped into UK VAT & Duty free from the anomaly places, such as The Channel Islands. (Tesco is getting a bad press from the governement for exploiting this loop hole) - I buy replacement "button" batteries this way.

Perhaps someone can give us the details on the following list of
    asomaly countries, that are sort-of part of Europe:

N.Cyprus
    Andorra
    Liechenstein
    Monaco
    San Marino
    Isle of Man
    Channel Islands
    Canary Islands
    Ceuta
    Switzerland
    etc.

I have been to these over the years and all offered anomaly bargains in one way or another, but it is a shifting scene.
    (They should be able to offer offer "pop over the border" savings on tobacco, alcohol & road fuel.)

Inside mainstream European Union each country has different rates of duty and VAT. Somewhere like Estonia has gone for simple low taxes in the hope that Scandinavian money will make it rich.

Cigarettes are relatively cheap in Luxumbourg and Belgium, to name places within easy reach of UK (drive north up the coastal motorway from Calais (with its confusing numbering system) and turn towards the coast,just inside Belgium, to find Aardenkerke;
    a small town dedicated to selling tobacco products).

I will be on holiday in central Europe in September (destination Slovakia), the Mondeo car will need 4 new tyres and litres of diesel: Anybody know of a web site giving comparative prices for these in European countries ?

(It looks like the Mondeo will be getting new 205/55 R 16 Tyres from China at
    about 40 GBP fitted)
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Bargains in florida - for myk

Try the out of town shopping outlets for designer goods, there are tours you can go on to the best places.

high end skincare & cosmetics are much cheaper (clinique, estee lauder etc.) a face wash that is £12 here will be $12 there.

all you can eat breakfasts for $4 are an experience!, 10 different flavours of jelly for breakfast - why?

Florida is wonderful and you will really enjoy it, look out for the 4pm thunderstorns, you can set your watch by them.

lol
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure