Lloyds cc £1,265.32 mostly 0 % but 357.75 @17.9%
    Overdraft £2,000 0%
    Santander cc £3,267.29 0%
    Halifax cc £3,135 0%
    Barclaycard cc £4,064.46 0% but £2,326.10 @ 16.9%
    MBNA cc £5,339.47 0%

Total £19,788.95

Debt reduced by £1,439.13

I will be looking for an overpayment of £61 in the new budget to get another section of the thermometer coloured in, another £500 chunk paid off.

Progress!! :j:j:j:j
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Progress indeed. Well done. Good idea to build personal spends into the budget and fingers crossed for a new client.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • We have another chunk of the thermometer coloured in and are on track for yet another one once next month's minimums have come out. :j:j:j More progress! I hate to say it but some of this was a mistake and we have overpaid more than we were really able to. All that cash juggling took it's toll and I think my brain blew a fuse. Never mind though, it feels good to have smaller balances and heading towards under £19k. ;) I've been reading elsewhere that some people work with smaller emergency funds. We have never needed the full £800 we have saved so maybe I will reduce it permanently to £500 and see how we get on.

Time to post the new totals.
    Debtfree!
  • Hitachi loan £675.20 0%
    Lloyds cc £1,245.32 mostly 0 % but 337.75 @17.9%
    Overdraft £2,000 0%
    Santander cc £3,232.29 0%
    Halifax cc £3,100 0%
    Barclaycard cc £3775.83 0% but £1,978.25 @ 16.9%
    MBNA cc £5,422.27 0%

Total £19,450.91

Debt reduced by £1,777.16

All of the extra payments have gone towards the interest bearing Barclaycard. For motivation I really want to get rid of the Hitachi loan. The payment comes out the day before pay day which is really annoying. We'll see.
    Debtfree!
  • Got the Barclaycard statement today. Managed to knock £5 off the interest for next month, still sitting at £30 though. As per usual I have been obsessing about changing my strategy in debt repayment. Barclaycard and MBNA are in OH's name, and we need him to be in good shape for the mortgage renewal (or changing to another bank?) early next year. Using 50% of your available credit is apparently ok and can be helpful in showing you can handle credit. No point in moving balance from Barclaycard to MBNA, MBNA going up way over 50% and Barclaycard way under. Really if they could both be around 50% that would do, then I could get on with knocking out the small debts. Hitachi, for example.

Maybe none of this matters at all. Maybe I'm just needlessly obsessing for no reason. Maybe I need him to apply for a balance transfer card, bad idea so close to a mortgage application.

It's all moving so slowly I can hardly stand it. Thinking hat on for good ideas.
    Debtfree!
  • You comments in an earlier post suggested that you do not need the £800 EF. I think since you overpaid ie more than you could really afford it would be ok not to add to it prior to January you could even take a bit out if you were short. The reason I suggest this is because the EF should really be for circumstances such as loss of job or ill health - it can of course also help out for repairs and replacements. It is usually suggested that 3 - 6 months of basic income should eventually be saved into the EF. It seemed to me that you saw it merely as the repairs or replacement fund but for long term financial health it needs to be larger. However, don't drive yourself mad trying to do it just keep adding some each month.
  • My understanding about the baby steps is that a small emergency fund of $1,000 is baby step 1. This is to be used for all those extra things that crop up that we haven't thought of yet, that might previously have been put on a credit card, including unexpected things like repairs and replacements. It can stay small throughout baby step 2, paying off the debt. Baby step 3 then is saving up 3-6 months of expenses in the emergency fund.

I don't really understand your post Savertobe. You seem to be suggesting I should make it smaller as I don't need it, then saying that actually it needs to be much larger. For the duration of babystep 2 it might not need to be so big.

When I first saved my emergency fund it took all of my focus. In my opinion there is no point sticking £50 in it every month until it's useful because in the meantime, emergencies, repairs and replacements are not covered and I would need to keep using the cards. Much more satisfying to achieve it quickly and experience the safety of having some back up.

Having an emergency fund has been a real revelation to me. It is key to changing behaviour. I know it's unpopular because everyone seems to want to pay off their debt as fast as possible however, it has worked for me.
    Debtfree!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 November 2018 at 9:46AM
    I agree with you about the emergency fund and would keep it. I certainly would not get rid of it as it is there for you to use rather than borrowing on a card should an emergency occur. Saver to be is right that 3-6 months outgoings is a long term aim to help in circumstances like job loss or sickness but the caveat to that is if you have debt get rid of that first and just keep £1000 as an emergency repairs fund. 3-6 months should be an aim once the debt is gone especially as you are paying £30 a month in interest.

If you stick with the same mortgage provider (TSB isn't it?) when your deal expires they won't credit search you so credit utilisation doesn't matter. Just get the best deal they can give you as moving providers can be expensive with product fees, revaluations, legal costs etc. It would have to be a drastic cut in interest to make that worthwhile. I know they have had their problems re IT etc recently but they do good deals in savings and mortgages.

Given that Barclaycard is your only interest charging debt I think continuing to target that is best.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks for that enthusiastic saver, that's helpful.

Yes our mortgage is with the TSB and during the IT crisis of earlier in the year they were unable to offer new deals to customers whose fixed rate was ending. This went on for several months I believe. There were all kinds of knock on effects from that situation (such as me having to move my business account from the TSB to elsewhere, which was tedious and took weeks as I had outstanding invoices with the TSB details on, and ended up with double book keeping across 2 accounts for more than 2 months) I know I am probably worrying unnecessarily, but I can't seem to help it. I really want us to move to another bank but I know it's likely impossible. And I have no experience of staying with the same bank at the end of a mortgage deal. Is it really so straightforward? I keep trying to find information from other people who have mortgages with them on here, but nothing is being said about it now. Maybe that's a good sign that all is well? I'm worried that we are going to lose our home and that's pretty serious.

I don't plan to get rid of the emergency fund, just constantly thinking about how much it should be. I've noticed you recommend to others that maybe £500 is enough while paying off debt. £1,000 seems like a lot when we don't own a car but being house owners perhaps we do need such a big one.

My head just goes round in circles with it all. Constantly. Staying up so late probably doesn't help.

My Lloyds card is also accruing some interest, around £5 per month, so that is also a priority to pay down. The remaining balance is 0% until November 2020. A £500 chunk of the barclaycard is due to start earning interest in March 2019 so we will need to just keep going with that one. It all just seems to be rushing at me at once. If we knew our mortgage situation was going to be straightforward I could get OH to apply for a balance transfer card. It is just SO hard to know what to do for the best sometimes.

Thanks for listening.
    Debtfree!
  • BabyStepper
    BabyStepper Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 November 2018 at 4:47AM
    It looks like I won't be getting much sleep tonight. Figured I may as well make use of the time and relist my debts in order of paying them off and note when the 0% deals run out.

Barclaycard cc £3775.83 0% but £1,978.25 @ 16.9% £517.12 0% until March 2019 Remainder 0% til Feb 2020
    Lloyds cc £1,245.32 mostly 0 % but 337.75 @17.9% Remainder 0% til Nov 2020
    Santander cc £3,232.29 0% Dec 2019
    MBNA cc £5,422.27 0% Feb 2020
    Hitachi loan £675.20 0% March 2020
    Overdraft £2,000 0% Sept 2020
    Halifax cc £3,100 0% Oct 2020

Total £19,450.91

If I try to change this order please someone slap me around the head.
    Debtfree!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business