How many solars? Price as well

TamsinC
TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
edited 16 November 2018 at 11:38PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Well after a lucky escape after a Project Solar quote. We have now had another one from a different company.

14 x 300 Perlight panels
3600 w Solis inverter. All installation etc £5,953.34 + vat [at 5 percent]

A: is this a reasonable deal?
B: should I get another quote - is there time before the FIT window runs out?
C: should I go for more panels. I do have more roof space on a large barn but finding a structural surveyor to tell me its fine to put solars n the roof is proving very hard.

the red areas - SSE facing- on the photo are where we have asked for the panels to be put - SolarEdge would be needed here apparently due to the dormers. The barn on the very left could have westish facing panels on as well if I can get the roof approved.

Any advice? https://ibb.co/kqD0Zf
“Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Well after a lucky escape after a Project Solar quote. We have now had another one from a different company.

14 x 300 Perlight panels

A: is this a reasonable deal?
    B: should I get another quote - is there time before the FIT window runs out?
    C: should I go for more panels. I do have more roof space on a large barn but finding a structural surveyor to tell me its fine to put solars n the roof is proving very hard.

the red areas - SSE facing- on the photo are where we have asked for the panels to be put - SolarEdge would be needed here apparently due to the dormers. The barn on the very left could have westish facing panels on as well if I can get the roof approved.

Hiya, my thoughts / ideas.

Firstly congrats, anyone escaping from Project Solar deserves a round of applause.

Secondly, looking at the picture I think Solaredge is essential, there will be lots of shading through the day impacting different panels, but with Solaredge, overall gen will be fine. Also, hard to tell, but the rooves to the left and right might have different pitches to the main long roof, which is also not ideal for a standard set up.

Thirdly, price, I don't think it's a good price given the basic nature of the offer (not Solaredge). Looks like a lot of work cutting rails and fitting in the gaps etc, but still a bit too high.

Fourthly, definitely get more quotes, you have time, the FiT ends at the end of Mch, so you need to be on the ball, but not rushing (yet).

Fifthly, 4.2kWp is a good size, but I'd always suggest going bigger within reason. Looking at the 'barn' to the left I'd actually suggest some East and West panels to give you a nice boost in the morning and evening. Is the inside of the roof accessible? If so then reinforcing it with some purlings shouldn't be a difficult nor expensive job. Let's say you really went for it and added 6 panels on each side, then that would only be about 120kg per side, spread thinly, not much more than a beefy roofer, and a fraction of the point loading.

Sixthly, beautiful house, so I'd suggest being careful with the layout of the panels especially between the dormers to make sure the number of panels and spacing looks even. I don't think panels are particularly ugly, but if the layout is a bit uneven and random looking, it can be a little 'iffy' looking.

Best of luck.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • TamsinC
    Thank you Martyn.

A:It was thanks to this forum that we became alerted to PS. We were already dubious but further research on here helped greatly.

B: the roof to the left and the main house are the same, the roof to the right is a bit steeper. The installer has said we would need SolarEdge at an extra 1000. Plus iBoost if we want it for another 360.

C: ta

D: will do thank you

E: The inside of the barn roof is accessible - it is basically plaster boarded out but they can come down if needed. It looks like this https://ibb.co/i35zAL

F: Our main concern - so it will need to be done well.
  • TamsinC wrote: »

Hi Tamsin, having followed Mart's suggestions earlier in the year, we now have a roof full of panels plus two on a gable end making 30 in all and jolly glad we did too. It may have been producing far more energy in the summer than we could use but at this time of year it is barely sufficient for our needs. We'll address the summer excess in the years ahead. Our main roof is SSE facing also.

With regard strength of the barn roof then your chosen supplier should assess the strengths of all rooves before commencing installation. So while a good idea to get an independent assessment it is perhaps not essential if difficult to source.

SolarEdge is great at showing the output of each panel so, in the very unlikely event of one going down, you'll know it's identity immediately and not have to guess at it as may otherwise be the case.

I wish you every success in arriving at a successful conclusion. Please keep us in touch with progress.

PS. What a smashing residence, do you cater for B & B!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    14 x 300 Perlight panels

Too expensive:

Panels £115.20

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/perlight-monocrystalline-solar-panels/300WBlack.html

Inverter £400.91

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solis-inverters/solis-dual-3600-4g

So 2K approx, for the panels and inverter.

Iboost £248.40

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solar-immersion-controller/iboost-plus.html

If you changed to SolarEdge then 14x £40 for micro optimisers and another £330 for a SolarEdge 3680W 1ph Inverter HD-Wave.

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/SolarEdge/solaredge-3680-hdwave.html

The website says login or register to get trade discounts even adding on VAT the cost would be less than shown to the installer.

I noticed from another thread you said you would have problems with your EPC? Have you solved this problem for the FIT?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• TamsinC
    Hi Tamsin, having followed Mart's suggestions earlier in the year, we now have a roof full of panels plus two on a gable end making 30 in all and jolly glad we did too. It may have been producing far more energy in the summer than we could use but at this time of year it is barely sufficient for our needs. We'll address the summer excess in the years ahead. Our main roof is SSE facing also.

With regard strength of the barn roof then your chosen supplier should assess the strengths of all rooves before commencing installation. So while a good idea to get an independent assessment it is perhaps not essential if difficult to source.

SolarEdge is great at showing the output of each panel so, in the very unlikely event of one going down, you'll know it's identity immediately and not have to guess at it as may otherwise be the case.

I wish you every success in arriving at a successful conclusion. Please keep us in touch with progress.

PS. What a smashing residence, do you cater for B & B!
    Thank you - we have a 'just happens to be' local man coming round this afternoon to have a look as well. So will see how that goes.

First quote specifically said they didn't assess the roof, hence me trying to find someone to do so. And failing completely - big firms are turning down such a small job and small firms are all out of business now it seems.

In response to your P.S. There is a one bed flat attached to the house. It has previously [before we bought it] been used as a holiday let. What we are going to do with it is up for debate at the moment. :rotfl:
  • TamsinC
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    Too expensive:

Panels £115.20

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/perlight-monocrystalline-solar-panels/300WBlack.html

Inverter £400.91

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solis-inverters/solis-dual-3600-4g

So 2K approx, for the panels and inverter.

Iboost £248.40

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solar-immersion-controller/iboost-plus.html

If you changed to SolarEdge then 14x £40 for micro optimisers and another £330 for a SolarEdge 3680W 1ph Inverter HD-Wave.

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/SolarEdge/solaredge-3680-hdwave.html

The website says login or register to get trade discounts even adding on VAT the cost would be less than shown to the installer.

I noticed from another thread you said you would have problems with your EPC? Have you solved this problem for the FIT?

Thanks Merlin,

Not solved the EPC problem - no way to do it - so will just have to take the crAppy feed in tariff.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Most past epc's were basically made up. We jumped 11 points on an EPC just by getting a Commercial epc inspector who actually knew how to do it properly. F to an E. But you may be right 15 points is a big leap. Unless you want to buy an expensive condensing boiler...
  • TamsinC
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    Most past epc's were basically made up. We jumped 11 points on an EPC just by getting a Commercial epc inspector who actually knew how to do it properly. F to an E. But you may be right 15 points is a big leap. Unless you want to buy an expensive condensing boiler...

The Rayburn boiler is A rated anyway [heating, cooker and water], and would be loathed to have to replace it.

We know the roof is insulated but no way to prove it without pulling down ceilings. The EPC says the house is timber framed but it's solid stone external walls with timber internally only. Not sure if that would make any difference. I really don't see what else we can do to make it a D. We need twenty six point to get to a D.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The Rayburn boiler is A rated anyway [heating, cooker and water], and would be loathed to have to replace it.

We know the roof is insulated but no way to prove it without pulling down ceilings. The EPC says the house is timber framed but it's solid stone external walls with timber internally only. Not sure if that would make any difference. I really don't see what else we can do to make it a D. We need twenty six point to get to a D.

The PV should give a nice uplift to the EPC, but I don't know how much or what all the rules are now. In fact, I think the EPC has to be before commissioning the PV system, so I'm not sure if it gets counted or not? Bit of a pain.

Anywhere 'discreet' and hidden where you could open the ceiling a bit for an inspection?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • TamsinC
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    The PV should give a nice uplift to the EPC, but I don't know how much or what all the rules are now. In fact, I think the EPC has to be before commissioning the PV system, so I'm not sure if it gets counted or not? Bit of a pain.

Anywhere 'discreet' and hidden where you could open the ceiling a bit for an inspection?

Yes EPC has to be before commissioning .

Hmm, maybe in the airing cupboard - I will investigate at some point soon. [Been working in the garden all day and knackered now]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family