Eon pushing loyal customers away - is it an April Fool in November???

Peasey1970
Peasey1970 Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary
We've been domestic customers of Eon's for approx. 3 years and business customers for several properties for 5+ years. Until now we've been more than happy with their customer service and communications. HOWEVER, after receiving a bill showing we need to increase our monthly payment from £56 to £112, I wasn't impressed. The person I spoke to on 6/11 said I needed to go on to moneysupermarket or uswitch websites to get their best deal which was on the go online 1year V22 contract. He said I would find deals with standard charges as low as 7p or 8p per day....unheard of in my experience. I was stunned to be told Eon couldn't help me with a better deal there and then and were actively encouraging me to go elsewhere. There are many other companies on the comparison website lists before scrolling down to find Eon's 'best' deal. After sleeping on it, I called Eon back yesterday and asked to speak to a Manager so I could complain about the situation and find out if turning me (and other customers) away was actually Eon's intention. I was told I couldn't take the matter any further as Eon had made a 'business decision' to direct people towards the above-mentioned comparison websites. I was also told I was misinformed as the go online V22 deal was Not their best. So, Eon are looking to lose customers and staff then? OH MY WORD - I'm gobsmacked. So, now I've joined this fab forum, I'll be looking at all the helpful reviews for the likes of Green Network Energy, Bulb, Octopus, SSE, Scottish Power and others on the lists with Money Supermarket and Uswitch who have lower rates than Eon. As an added bonus, we use the Top Cashback website (Highly recommended) where Money Supermarket & USwitch will give us some money too. Win, win :):) I will also look at Pure Planet & Avro Energy as recommended by MSE. Thanks all :)

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    May I suggest that you post this in the correct section - Energy, where you should get the appropriate replies.

This section is for "LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels"

Perhaps the mods could move it for you
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 November 2018 at 2:56PM
    MSE doesn't recommend any supplier.

It recommends you consult a comparison site and find the best deal for you
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/

Eon were not actively encouraging you to go elsewhere as you assert, but were recommending you remain with Eon on their E.ON Go Online 1 Year v22tariff, which is exclusively available through selected comparison sites.

But you've apparently found an even cheaper Eon tariff for you, presumably by following the advice of consulting a comparison site.

There is no cheapest tariff for all - if there were, there would be no requirment for comparison sites, nor indeed the other 70 odd energy suppliers and their multitude of various tariffs.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I must admit I have just switched from Eon at the end of a 1 year fix because the renewal deal they recommended amounted to a 40% price hike over last year.

I didn't find any better Eon deals by using comparison sites.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2018 at 4:25PM
    Peasey1970 wrote: »
    We've been domestic customers of Eon's for approx. 3 years and business customers for several properties for 5+ years. Until now we've been more than happy with their customer service and communications. HOWEVER, after receiving a bill showing we need to increase our monthly payment from £56 to £112, I wasn't impressed. The person I spoke to on 6/11 said I needed to go on to moneysupermarket or uswitch websites to get their best deal which was on the go online 1year V22 contract. He said I would find deals with standard charges as low as 7p or 8p per day....unheard of in my experience. I was stunned to be told Eon couldn't help me with a better deal there and then and were actively encouraging me to go elsewhere. There are many other companies on the comparison website lists before scrolling down to find Eon's 'best' deal. After sleeping on it, I called Eon back yesterday and asked to speak to a Manager so I could complain about the situation and find out if turning me (and other customers) away was actually Eon's intention. I was told I couldn't take the matter any further as Eon had made a 'business decision' to direct people towards the above-mentioned comparison websites. I was also told I was misinformed as the go online V22 deal was Not their best. So, Eon are looking to lose customers and staff then? OH MY WORD - I'm gobsmacked. So, now I've joined this fab forum, I'll be looking at all the helpful reviews for the likes of Green Network Energy, Bulb, Octopus, SSE, Scottish Power and others on the lists with Money Supermarket and Uswitch who have lower rates than Eon. As an added bonus, we use the Top Cashback website (Highly recommended) where Money Supermarket & USwitch will give us some money too. Win, win :):) I will also look at Pure Planet & Avro Energy as recommended by MSE. Thanks all :)

Hello Peasey1970 and welcome to the Forums.

We certainly don't want to turn you or any other customer away. In these changing times we've been looking at different ways to interact with both existing and potentially new customers. Part of this venture has involved using Price Comparison websites (PCW) for existing customers as well as those looking to join us.

We've been offering certain tariffs exclusively through these sites for quite a time now. We suspended this practice for existing customers today. Go Online has been replaced with Fix Online.

Fix Online is still available to new customers exclusively through PCWs and to existing customers only via our website. We're looking to offer more products and services online as we develop our website and the way we use other online services. This is meant to help customers who prefer dealing with us through these channels. Totally understand this doesn't apply to all customers and we're continuing to offer a range of tariffs both through our website and telephone sales channels. As wavelets says, our advisor will have been trying to steer you towards a tariff that they thought best met your needs.

With all such changes, it's best to pop your usage in kWh on to a PCW. This will give a fuller picture of what's available both with us and with the other suppliers.

Just a quick heads up on the increase to your monthly payments. We look to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review. To do this, payments are based on current prices and past usage. A significant change to either will trigger an increase/decrease in the monthly amounts. There's a tool on our website to help you keep on top of this arrangement including being able to change the payments by up to 20 per cent (with readings); or by up to 5 per cent (without readings). This is the Direct Debit manager and it's there to help you react to changing circumstances should your usage move significantly up or down.

I'm sorry we gave you the impression we didn't want your custom Peasey1970. This is definitely not the case.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hello wavelets,
    Thanks for taking the time to post on this.
    I did waffle on a bit so may not have explained myself clearly so...in a nutshell (hopefully)...

I looked at Uswitch and Money Supermarket PCW's to see what alternatives there were to our rates when Eon proposed doubling our monthly payments
    (Now I've discovered MSE I will use their own comparison site in future. Many thanks for letting me know the details).
    I'd rather have stayed with Eon as previously very happy with customer service for several accounts as mentioned.
    Eon told me they could not offer me a better rate either over the phone or via their own website. Full stop.
    Eon misinformed me as the ...V22 online account was not cheaper than what we currently pay.
    Of course I'm aware there is no cheapest tariff for all and there's plenty of competition out there; that's business. I shop around every year for insurance and holidays etc etc
    Eon told me I could not take the matter further with a Manager or the Complaints dept as it is a 'business decision' to direct people to PCW's. They told me they accepted they would lose my business for the above reasons, hence they have indeed pushed me away. On principal I would not have stayed with them and am in the process of switching.
    Thanks again.
    wavelets wrote: »
    MSE doesn't recommend any supplier.

It recommends you consult a comparison site and find the best deal for you
    Eon were not actively encouraging you to go elsewhere as you assert, but were recommending you remain with Eon on their E.ON Go Online 1 Year v22tariff, which is exclusively available through selected comparison sites.

But you've apparently found an even cheaper Eon tariff for you, presumably by following the advice of consulting a comparison site.

There is no cheapest tariff for all - if there were, there would be no requirment for comparison sites, nor indeed the other 70 odd energy suppliers and their multitude of various tariffs.
  • Thanks Mister G for pointing out my mistake in posting under the wrong Forum. I'm a beginner with poor navigation skills.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure