Hoist Data Protection Issue GDPR

Hi All

I recently started getting a whole load of letters from Hoist number 1 2 and whatever, it seems they own or acquired Robinson Way and now own the right to continue to harass me for my aged debts, well good luck to them on that.

Then they wrote saying they had failed to send me statements for 5 years but were doing so now, again a letter for each debt.

Then they wrote again saying my debt in not with Hoist but Hoist number 3 or 2 or 1 or just a different one to the previous one they advised. These companies all exist at Companies House so I am guess some sort of tax avoidance or VAT avoidance.

The reason for the post is I got another letter from them, just one this time, I opened it up and noticed the debt was for under £100 which is far to low for me, my debts are in thousands .

Then I noticed that the letter was not addressed to me, the name was not known to me.

As it happens I live in a property that is relatively new build, I have all the names of former tenants and this person has never lived here. Nor have I ever had anything addressed to this person, while I do get a lot of mail for previous tenants.

So that got me thinking whether Hoist have screwed up by sending the debt of another person to my address?

This is very easily done with a poorly managed database import.

Now whilst the letter was not addressed to me I opened it without noticing the name of the addressee was different.

I was wondering if anyone else, particularly Hoist debtors have received letters for other debtors and if so whether we should report this to the ICO?

I am sure that Carol X is not very happy that I know about her debt but I am also concerned that they are sending details of my debt to other people.

Comments

• At present, you have no reason to suspect that they have sent your details to anyone else.

If you're concerned, ask them to confirm the details they hold for you.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Many years ago i had a catalogue account with Littlewoods, they sent statements on a monthly basis, this one time, they sent me my own statement, plus an additional one for some bloke in Northampton.

Obviously an error, but a breach of data protection non the less.

If you just want to cause trouble for hoist, then go ahead and complain about it, the more the merrier as far as i`m concerned, you may even get some compensation for your trouble.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    At present, you have no reason to suspect that they have sent your details to anyone else.

If you're concerned, ask them to confirm the details they hold for you.

I think I do, I have a catalogue of C O C K ups and mail sent to someone who has never lived here.

Really if you have nothing positive to post it is better you don't post unless you are one of these people that collects posts as if it gives you some sort of authority.
  • BadDebtor
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Many years ago i had a catalogue account with Littlewoods, they sent statements on a monthly basis, this one time, they sent me my own statement, plus an additional one for some bloke in Northampton.

Obviously an error, but a breach of data protection non the less.

If you just want to cause trouble for hoist, then go ahead and complain about it, the more the merrier as far as i`m concerned, you may even get some compensation for your trouble.

Thanks Sourcrates

Not really looking for compensation as it would probably go towards the debt, I am not keen to ack the debt as close to going off statute.

My feeling was that if other people report similar then I should report to ICO.but if it is just me then I will let it go, maybe track down the person who should have got it.
  • Or just reseal the envelope and send it back to them not known a this address.....?
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If the only name is not yours then I am not sure you have a case. I had this with Lloyds - someone elses' bank statement to my address. Lloyds did nothing to sort it so I complained about data protection but did not hear back. Its quite likely you will be wasting your time.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • BadDebtor wrote: »
    Thanks Sourcrates

Not really looking for compensation as it would probably go towards the debt, I am not keen to ack the debt as close to going off statute.

My feeling was that if other people report similar then I should report to ICO.but if it is just me then I will let it go, maybe track down the person who should have got it.

If you report to the ICO chances are nothing will happen other than a small warning to the firm. They aren't required to report breaches to the ICO unless they could having severe consequences or damages to the parties involved. (Much to interpretation on that) and sending a statement to a wrong address would fall quite low on the ICO's radar I imagine.

None the less it's easy to report to the ICO but could make Hoist review your file which you might not want if your trying to avoid acknowledging due to statue.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • BadDebtor
    edited 9 November 2018 at 11:17AM
    Or just reseal the envelope and send it back to them not known a this address.....?

They get those all the time by people trying to avoid debt so they will not take it seriously

In fact it could be a tactic of theirs and work against me.

If they send a load of letters to me and never get a response, then send a letter that is sent to a fictitious name for a fake debt but the letter comes back return to sender they can propose that the original person does live there because they got no RTS.

Considering these debt collectors invented firms of solicitors nothing is beyond them.
  • Karonher wrote: »
    If the only name is not yours then I am not sure you have a case. I had this with Lloyds - someone elses' bank statement to my address. Lloyds did nothing to sort it so I complained about data protection but did not hear back. Its quite likely you will be wasting your time.

My only concern is that this is a big c o c k up and that a lot of people are having their debt shared with complete strangers at another address, if there were loads of people saying "yes that happened to me too" then I would report it, otherwise might as well just shred it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure