Universal cre

At the moment me and my.partner get income support and I get carers allowance. My partner gets pip, enhanced for daily living and standard rate for mobility. Our son gets esa support group and pip enhanced rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility. When we have to change to universal credit do I lose carers allowance.

Comments

• you will change to UC if you have a change in circumstances, like changing from IS to ESA or JSA

at the moment, there is no compulsory migration for your circumstances

when you do change, you will lose carers allowance, but will get an additional amount on UC as a "carers amount"
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Carers allowance can continue, but it would be deducted from any UC claim.

UC has a carers element, if you care for someone disabled for 35 hours a week or more and the disabled person is in receipt of a disability benefit.

As stated, unless you have a change in circumstances that requires a move to UC, then you wait to be contacted by DWP about them migrating you across to UC. You could be waiting a long time.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I take it you have carers for looking after your partner, if yes then?

Your partner should claim Carers for looking after your son, backdated three months its worth an extra £36 weekly in IS and about £500+ in arrears.

If you have carers for looking after your son then he should do the above for looking after his mum again worth the same in ESA and arrears?
  • Liz484
    Liz484 Posts: 59 Forumite
    I get carers allowance for my son. I was just wondering if we would be worse off when we have to claim universal credit and how universal credit works, reading other posts about universal credit and carers allowance sounds confusing.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Liz484 wrote: »
    I get carers allowance for my son. I was just wondering if we would be worse off when we have to claim universal credit and how universal credit works, reading other posts about universal credit and carers allowance sounds confusing.
    Unless you have a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC then you'll stay as you are until at least 2019. Possibly later than that for a lot of people so i wouldn't worry about it yet.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you are forced to move to UC due to a change you will lose a small fortune, if you are asked to move by the DWP in a few years you will remain exactly the same as you are now.

If the son moves now or later he will get more due to being in the SG of ESA.

Even more if he claim and backdates Carers now?
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    Unless you have a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC then you'll stay as you are until at least 2019. Possibly later than that for a lot of people so i wouldn't worry about it yet.
    It's easy to say don't worry about it - 2019 is just around the corner!

As I understand it, my benefit will be reduced to that of a jobseeker - which was never intended to pay enough to be a lifestyle choice. It was meant to tide people over while they looked for a job not to have to survive on for the rest of their lives.
    If tha' brexit, tha' pays for it.
  • Liz484 wrote: »
    At the moment me and my.partner get income support and I get carers allowance. My partner gets pip, enhanced for daily living and standard rate for mobility. Our son gets esa support group and pip enhanced rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility. When we have to change to universal credit do I lose carers allowance.

Your carer's allowance reduces income support pound for pound (but they add a carer's premium).

On UC your carer's allowance reduces UC pound for pound (but they add a carer's element).

Both benefits treat carer's allowance in the same way.

When you apply for UC your partner needs to have a work capability assessment. If he is awarded LCWRA (equivalent of ESA support group) then he will be entitled to extra money.

If you move to UC as part of managed migration (not starting until 2020 for most people) you are guaranteed not to be financially worse off. However it's likely that once your partner has LCWRA you would actually be better off on UC anyway.

It's almost certain that your son would already be better off on UC.

His UC entitlement would be £646.14 a month if over 25 years old, and £580.09 if under 25. You can compare that with the ESA is he is currently getting. Obviously he still gets his PIP on top.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's easy to say don't worry about it - 2019 is just around the corner!

As I understand it, my benefit will be reduced to that of a jobseeker - which was never intended to pay enough to be a lifestyle choice. It was meant to tide people over while they looked for a job not to have to survive on for the rest of their lives.
    That's because you're not understanding it at all. As previously explained to you on your other thread here. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5925773

When managed migration starts you won't be worse off and certainly won't have your benefits reduced to that of JSA.
  • Liz484
    Liz484 Posts: 59 Forumite
    My son would be better off on universal credit. My partner just gets pip at the moment. We are on a joint income support claim now. He used to get esa but we were advised that we would be better off on a joint income support claim. I was confused about carers allowance under universal credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure