no claims discount

I assume that when you move home you can transfer you no claims discount to the new property.

Is that correct or does a NCD have to be built up on the property being insured?

Comments

• G-M - what sort of policy are you talking about?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry -good point.

Buildings & contents.
  • Is there even such a thing as NCB on house insurance?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Some insurers do refer to NCB for house insurance - and let you protect it!

Though not universal and a bit of a gimmic to tie you in for years!
  • G_M
    I always get asked how long I've held policies for whether I've made any claims in the last 5/7 years and just assumed that affects the premium.

So my question was around whether policies held on a different property could be quoted/referredto in answering these questions.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes. It's the policyholder(s) rather than the risk address (although that will influence the premium).

Though we just amended the address/type of building/number of bedrooms etc.,. on our house/contents insurance when we moved.
    (With a small premium difference to pay iirc.)

We have protected NCD and had a fairly big water escape claim almost 13 months ago. The NCD is still mentioned on the policy schedule.

Fairly sure the Low Society forms ask about Insurance Claims of the sellers? which might be relevant as you come to exchange contracts.
  • G_M
    Ah! Good point about claims made by the previous owners. But woud I have to declare them? The application question tends to be along the lines of 'Have you made any iny claims in the last.....?' rather than 'Have any claims be made against the property in the last.....?'
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    Ah! Good point about claims made by the previous owners. But woud I have to declare them? The application question tends to be along the lines of 'Have you made any iny claims in the last.....?' rather than 'Have any claims be made against the property in the last.....?'
    Dunno. My insurers ask the following when you fill in a quote online:
    Has your home, or the land belonging to it, been flooded in the last five years?
    How many claims have you, or any of your family made in the last five years?
    How many claim free years have you had Buildings Insurance for?
    How many claim free years have you had Contents Insurance for?

So the flood risk bit would pertain to the home... which info would likely need to come from the Law Soc form?
    All others are risk of the persons occupying said home.

Other insurers may have different questions?

Subsidence, even repaired, is a risk that you'd have to call my insurers about rather than use the online form as it's assumed 'none' on their eligibility requirements (as is bankruptcy, holiday home and other bits).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure