Re mortgage with restrictions

I have been accepted to do a remortgage on my property however my ex husband did not pay a unsecured loan so they put a restriction on the deeds of the house in his name only. Can I do a transfer of equity if he agrees & can I remortgage without having to his debt.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Who currently owns the property?
  • Xyzzy
    Xyzzy Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Im assuming the property is in both names, if there is charge relating to his debt (decree NISI?). There will be a subsequent charge against the property. To take him off the mortgage and remove this charge you would need the permission of the charge holder (debt company). You wont get that without repaying the debt. Even to keep his name on you will need a deed of postponement from the charge holder; an agreement that the new mortgage lender's charge can take precedence over their own.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    This site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    As above, but to simplify it - the loan provider has a valid charge against the property. They have to agree to remove it, which they are not going to do without it being paid. Otherwise anyone who had a charge against the property would just do a transfer of equity.

At the minute, they can not get payment, but they know if you ever sell up they will get payment. Chances are this debt is also accruing interest and potentially at a rate of 8%, so it is probably worth looking at this sooner rather than later.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure