£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Hi TOPM I just wanted to pop in and add my support. I have been where you are, working full time with young children and feeling swamped. When I felt like this I used to take a deep breath and lift my head above the water and try and look practically at everything I "needed "to do.

Often the things we think we "need" to do aren't actually that essential. They are things that we put pressure on ourselves to do, to be that perfect Mother we think we should be. I would suggest looking critically at everything you do and start prioritising the things that are actually essential.

Give yourself a break - no one will ring Social Services if your kid's PE kit is a bit crumpled and the kids won't be malnourished if you feed them fish fingers now and again. You could also give your clients a chocolate hobnob rather than feeling like you need to make homemade biscuits, I doubt anyone would complain : )

With regard to your debt would it help to think about it in 3 parts ?

There is the £20k debt to your parent. They don't seem desperate for it back and so I would just put this to one side and forget about it for now. You can always come back to it if they decide they need it back.

You also have the £21k loan with a high interest rate. If your remortgage comes off, then that will be addressed. If not, you probably need to think of another way of reducing the interest rate - maybe moving it to a cheaper loan or credit card and then, because this will have the higher interest rate focus on paying this off first.

This would then leave you with £16k debt on the credit cards which you can focus on, if the remortgage comes off or just make minimum payments if it doesn't (see above) and focus on the more expensive loan

It might feel more manageable if you can think about it in smaller chunks, rather than the big total figure.

It might also help you feel back in control if you can get back on top of your food budget in the run up to Christmas. You could allow yourself a little extra in the budget to start buying food for Christmas, to spread it across a few weeks. This would also help from a time point of view too - the week before Christmas is manic enough normally.

And finally, every penny you spend on Christmas needs to be a very conscious choice, as essentially everything that you spend will be more money that you are borrowing. I am not suggesting you have a miserable Christmas, but try and have a thoughtful and smart Christmas that costs less. I am confident that you can spend far less than £1000.

I hope you have a relaxing weekend and just be kind to yourself.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Just chipping in - goose is quite an expensive meat and you don’t get an enormous amount of meat on it. Have you considered doing a chicken but with all the trimmings? I know it isn’t as “special” but goose and duck are expensive and erm, turkey is frankly yucky.

Can I make a vote in favour of turkey??

Most turkeys in the supermarket (except the very, very expensive ones) are barn reared or if reared outside only have a very small area to roam in hence they taste of not much at all.

If you could find a local supplier nearby you could get a tastier turkey for the same or even cheaper than the supermarket.

I rear turkeys and sell to family and friends, my turkeys roam over 2.5 acres for 8 months (most supermarket turkeys are about 5-6mths old) before they are slaughtered and plucked by hand.

I have been told that our turkey meat is very flavoursome and the best a lot of people have tasted. One person, who usually ate supermarket turkey actually said our turkey meat had such a strong flavour she didn't actually like it - I was disappointed but you cant win them all.

TOPM - If your family want goose for Xmas then I think they should have it, could you find a small local supplier who might be the same or cheaper than the supermarkets?
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,176 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Eager Elephant you beat me to it. When we are hosting Christmas we always buy a free range bird from a local farm, it really does taste completely different. At the same time I buy several packs of thighs for my freezer, (my favourite part, and the farmer always winks at me and says “That’s the best bit”). They have mountains of them because so many people want a crown, so are really cheap. This year we’re with family so I’ll just be buying half a dozen packs for the freezer. One Christmas it worked out that all the family were with their in laws so it was just the two of us, I cooked two thighs and all the trimmings, best Christmas dinner ever!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,176 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PS, don’t forget to add all the extra debt you would have accrued if you hadn’t had your LBM to how much you have reduced the debt by!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 40: Day 7

Oh my goodness. Drove to ILs' and got here at midnight, I then slept till 11:30am! I think I may have been a little bit tired. Can't have helped the feelings of overwhelm this week.

I have been reading and nodding along with all your lovely posts, and taking bits and bobs from all of them, so thank you for posting with thoughts and ideas, I really do appreciate it.

We only eat free range meat, one of the reasons we eat so little! Will investigate the turkey legs + goose combo.

The big news for today is.... Apparently we have our mortgage offer! The mortgage broker emailed to say the offer had been issued and we should have some legal paperwork through the post soon. So barring disasters with that it seems like we might be getting that money! No idea how it works with the extra money borrowed to pay off the loan, will have to ask the broker. Assuming the numbers are as the broker said, we will then have the saving of the £377pm on the Tesco loan and about a tenner a month on the mortgage. I think we'll probably cut my earning requirements by £50 to take the pressure off a little, and then split the remaining £335 between perhaps £100pm debt overpayment and £235 to a regular saver account. Then in a year we can see whether it makes more sense to pay an extra chunk off the mortgage or just put it directly towards the extension. I need to research the extension a little more and play with the numbers on the snowball calculator a bit, but that's the vague sums I'm thinking of - no point massively overpaying the debt if having savings would make the extension more manageable, and vice versa.

Not bothering with any lists today, not going to achieve anything anyway! Need to finish my contract work but will be this evening/tomorrow.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend. Thrilled for you regarding the mortgage offer. Congratulations. Real progress. Fantastic!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So pleased for you that your mortgage has come through :) Bet you feel as though a weight has been lifted.

Try and relax and enjoy the weekend, you can look at all the brilliant ideas given and think about which will work for you on Monday! XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news on the mortgage offer. You must have needed that sleep!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Excellent news that your mortgage offer has come through. I hope you're having a thoroughly relaxing weekend.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    To do this week
    1. declutter and tidy utility room - it is such a dumping ground.
    2. put advent calendar together.
    3. do some Christmas shopping.
    4. Christmas knitting.
    5. pull out the Christmas decorations and see what we need - I have a vague recollection that we are totally lacking in house decorations, although we have some lovely tree decs. We are going to get a smaller tree this year though, so maybe I'll just use tree baubles throughout the house so they get used. Done, we're actually doing better than I expected.

You posted that you were going to cut down on the to-do list and then this was your weekly list! I reckon of this list, only 3 and 5 are at all necessary and only then because it makes life easier in a few weeks from now. You're overloaded and it's almost Christmas, this is a ridiculous time to decide you need to declutter the utility room!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport