Glow worm cx 30 update ..and questions

Comments

• Engineer went on tues. since last night the heating is on all of the time . If I turn heating off, I have no hot water.
    Spoke to company who served it . They say it could be something else

Spoke to glow worm . They think I need a new diverter valve.
    They will fix problem . Call out plus parts would be expensive .
    However they do offer service plus 6 month maintenance at just under £50 pm for 6 months .
    The gas engineer I used would charge around £270 all in approx .

Decisions decisions . Now looking at homeserve
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Try SSE they do a fixed price repair for £75 if you take out a years cover, it's £17 a month. For you it's well worth it as the £75 will include what you need done now. Just phone them and tell them the problem and nothing else.
    Phone 0345 076 7646
  • bris wrote: »
    Try SSE they do a fixed price repair for £75 if you take out a years cover, it's £17 a month. For you it's well worth it as the £75 will include what you need done now. Just phone them and tell them the problem and nothing else.
    Phone 0345 076 7646

Thanks Bris . Unfortunately , after searching around I spoke to a company called Reactive . They don’t do repairs as such . They do a similar priced policy once I get the boiler working again.
    A nice chap gave me the number of a local Plummer who works for them also. He will charge a callout fee of around £75 and judging by what the lady told me when I phoned that no, it should be a cheaper fix. She did say that the engineer will give me a true assessment of the boiler . The last guy as I mentioned previously never gave me much to go on. So basically I expect to pay around £150 and if he thinks I should take a policy out on it afterwards I will use Reactive for £17.50 a month. Annoying day today :(
  • Engineer came around this morning . He fitted a new diverter valve.
    He will be back tomorrow to put a new heating exchanger in .
    So for the rest of the day I have no water.
    Not sure of final cost , but I did find out a lot more than what the previous engineer from the other company told me.

The boiler is 8+ years old , but it is best to get a maintenance contract with someone . Nice to know . So, tomorrow will be expensive and the last two visits before that were not , but cost is beginning to add up . The engineer did say that the boiler doesn't need to be replaced and that the maintenance contract I take out is the way to go .
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would be a little bit dubious about a service plan that costs £50per month for just 6 months.

You can get on gong cover for £20pm (give or take a couple of pounds) from a lot of places.

You need to think about throwing £300 away over 6 months when in reality now that all this work is done the chances of it breaking down in this six months is slim.

https://www.uswitch.com/boiler-cover/application/ put your postcode into this link for far better options.
  • bris wrote: »
    I would be a little bit dubious about a service plan that costs £50per month for just 6 months.

You can get on gong cover for £20pm (give or take a couple of pounds) from a lot of places.

You need to think about throwing £300 away over 6 months when in reality now that all this work is done the chances of it breaking down in this six months is slim.

https://www.uswitch.com/boiler-cover/application/ put your postcode into this link for far better options.

Thanks bris

With the service plan I found online and spoke to, it will probably be less than £20 a month . I cannot remember the name of them now, but it’s not domestic and general , or homeserve .
    I will sign up to that contract once I’ve paid out for this lot of faults.
  • So, bill this week for diverter valve / heat exchanger / 2 hour labour "..£469.54.

I have now taken out boiler cover for £17.56 per month .

Hopefully , the 2's and3's are out of the way now and the boiler cover will suffice . Finger crossed .
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good job you took bris's advice or you could have paid out more than £500.........

Oh wait
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What kind of 'gas co' calls up and offers to service the boiler because they're 'in the area?
    The guy was simply trying to convince you to buy a new boiler, because no doubt he gets a referral fee. Doing that won't stop your rads leaking...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 April 2018 at 1:18PM
    Thanks again for input . The thread is getting messy now ,and I will just explain the situation I was in one more time .

1) got boiler looked at just before I moved into flat , as surveyor didn't think having the boiler in the small bedroom was safe .

2) local gas co ( who I found via google and have excellent reputation) , checked boiler and basically said to ignore surveyor and buy the flat as the boiler is fine .

As I was impresssed with him , the idea was to have the same company check it annually . As I inherited the boiler from the previous owner, I was not sure about taking out a service agreement from a company or just use the same company annually to check it.

3) a year later I got 2's and 3's as you now know .
    I got the boiler serviced ,and the rest happened . The person I saw from the company I used never filled me with confidence.
    I couldn't get a service contract unless the work that needed doing was complete .

4) in summary, I should have got s maintenance contract out the moment I moved into the flat last year. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :) . I now have a maintenance contact in place .

5) I've learned a lot about boilers in a short time . I've learned a valuable lesson . :)

I was unlucky in this situation . That's life .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure