How do you eat yours?

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Porridge should only be eaten cold after it has solidified (or in biscuit form using my mums recipe)
    You forgot to mention the national trend for water and salt instead of milk :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    kathrynha wrote: »
    Yorkshire through and through and never known anyone put jam on a Yorkshire pudding. Golden syrup is normal sweet topping for a Yorkshire pud
    My Grandad was Derbyshire born, bred and buried and he had jam on his batter puddings (he refused to call them Yorkshire puddings :rotfl:).
    He also had batter puddings with gravy as a starter.
  • PLRFD wrote: »
    That's nothing here in Yorkshire we have jam on Yorkshire pudding.
    I could totally get on board with this!
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the national trend for water and salt instead of milk :D

just to correct you, I in no way forgot about that, I don't care one way or the other as my mum made porridge both ways when I were a lad and I still had it cold in my lunch box.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 March 2018 at 8:06PM
    My Cornish mother served cream splits yesterday - and laid out jam and cream for people to do as they deemed fit.

One son was hauled off for a brief word after just applying a finger thick layer of cream and biting in. Duly chastened, he added a teaspoonful of jam to the top and carried on. For his second (& subsequent) splits, he went notably lighter on the cream but continued to put jam on top.

Granny observed with a bright smile.
    I look forward to the reading of the will in years to come...

As for pasties, tea and the ever so famous fry up - if we don't sit at a table, then the odds of making the Will drop like a rock. (Granny has Standards.)
    She makes her pasties with a crimped edge along the top (& skips the jam in on end idea.) Tea is served alongside another vessel of boiling water so those who do not wish to drink a strong brew can dilute to taste. The ever so famous fry up (as we practice it) is concealed from Granny who as a retired GP remains an active member of the Nazi Health Police & the exuberant calories might trigger a heart attack just Observing.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh I so want those cream splits.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Long rivalry between Devon and Cornwall. It’s more natural to put cream on top. If you had fruit salad, pie or anything else that needs cream, you wouldn’t put a layer of cream first then the pie etc :D

Having lived in Devon for 14 years, we’ve just moved to the Dorset/Somerset border so we’re looking for a different way for our cream teas:rotfl:
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Long rivalry between Devon and Cornwall. It’s more natural to put cream on top. If you had fruit salad, pie or anything else that needs cream, you wouldn’t put a layer of cream first then the pie etc

I've always understood that the (clotted) cream on a scone took the place of butter, so it was "more natural" to put it under the jam. I can see that if people are using whipped cream (perish the thought!) it wouldn't support the weight of the jam so would have to go on top.

I'm a native Devononian - now living in Surrey - whose Father ate bread spread with clotted cream for his breakfast.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm English but wouldn't consider a fry-up breakfast to include hash browns (but I very rarely eat breakfast 'out' so am going on what we used to have for Sunday breakfast at home - which I left over 45 years ago when hash browns probably didn't exist).

And replace the toast with fried bread.
    And add fried mushrooms.
    Hold the beans.

I've not had a breakfast as described above for a lot of years though.

I don't think I could hold the beans or the hash browns... :rotfl:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tea: Slice of lemon in the cup, tea poured over it (I keep sliced lemon in the freezer specially for this.)

My DH on the other hand, even has milk in Earl Grey tea! :eek:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure