PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Comments

• Mrsburg
    Mrsburg Posts: 22 Forumite
    That is a valid point.

Being from the area of the country I'm from - stuff like "management fees" literally doesnt cross my mind. I assume everything (anywhere in the country is "normal"- ie no management fees/ all roads adopted/etc/etc).

But - it is clear that these days and (for some areas of the country) this isnt the norm/hasnt been the norm ever - and I would say it's necessary to make the point "All is normal...." - because of just how many houses aren't in that position.:eek:

Admits to being shocked/horrified that one even has to "ask the question"....

EDIT: Leasehold - !!!!!!????? That ain't "normal"....it's "literally doesnt cross the mind of many of us"!!!

Is there any way to get the house from "leasehold" to "normal"?? I know I just looked at the house through "It's normal" glasses - and wouldnt have clicked it isnt/thought didnt cross my mind. That may be where the problem lies - ie if it ain't "normal" - its "leasehold".

I can understand why someone would take the house as being "normal" on the face of it and I was certainly taking that for granted personally - then investigate further and think "WTH???? Next please". So, in your position, if it aint "normal" - what can you do to make it "normal" (ie not leasehold)??

Sorry not totally sure of the point you're making. Leasehold is fairly normal for where we are.
  • Mrsburg
    phill99 wrote: »
    I think you need to adjust your expectations.

The two best times to sell houses are Easter to June and Mid September to mid November.

The summer is always a difficult time as people are focused on Holidays, especially if they have children.

Three weeks is nothing and it seems you have succumbed to the Estate Agents sale patter. Remember these people are the lowest form of life that exists on Earth, have no morals and are blatant liars.

They have promised you the earth and delivered nothing. Welcome to the shady world of Estate Agency

Thanks you I think you are probably right there.
  • Mrsburg
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    That is not a double driveway that is allocated parking. A driveway goes up to the house so that you can unload your shopping outside the garage or your front door. The description of a double drive way implies that the drive going down the side of the house is two cars wide and that you could possibly put in a double garage. Your allocated parking spaces are no better than on street parking where you have a small front garden which is exactly what it looks like.

Someone who wants a house with a drive is not going to buy yours because it doesn't have one. You have allocated parking. It can be either in front of the house or somewhere else but it will be on your deeds. It is not a driveway.

I can assure you it is a driveway and not allocated parking. It is on our deeds and we could fence / gate it if we wished.
  • Mrsburg
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I don't think a leasehold house with allocated parking has gone up £30k from new in under 5 years in an undesirable area in the Manchester area. New houses have a premium on them so when you paid £160 for it the second hand price then for a new leasehold house was probably around £150k. You are now asking offers in excess of £190k that is an increase of £40k and I just can't see it not in that area and leasehold. It isn't near a station so although Manchester town centre is not far away most people will want a station. Most people don't want new leasehold houses. I would say that it is extremely overpriced. If houses are selling and yours isn't then it is going to be the price. Leasehold knocks about £10k off the price compared to freehold. So unless you can get £200k for a freehold 3 bed semi with no drive and a small back garden on the edge of a rough area yours is overpriced.

The price point is based on other sales on the same estate including the next door house which sold for 190 2 months ago. You seem to think you're an expert but I'd hazard a guess that you're not. Thanks for the constructive feedback, I think you've offered all that we need from you.
  • Mrsburg
    Mrsburg, 3 weeks is not long. You are brave to post a link to your property here because you are at the mercy of an army of armchair housedoctors, many of whom probably never even owned their own home.

You are looking for support but following your link, you will just get a stream of "declutter" and "cut the grass" posts. Do you honestly think a trimmed lawn would make the difference between a sale or not?

Thanks very much, think you're right about the armchair house doctors hehe.
    The secret is pricing, not necessarily being the cheapest but value for money, ie ready to move into. A good agent is worth their money in marketing your property to their audience. Most unfortunately are shiny suited chancers who didn't sit at the back of the class at school and think "one day I will be an estate agent".

Present your house in the nicest way you can, price it competitively and keep pushing your agent.

Next time you sell, do your due diligence on the agent before you appoint them.

Thanks very much, think you're right about the arm chair house doctors, hehe.
  • Mrsburg
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope

Salford is in Greater Manchester and thanks but I won't be paying you to buy it. Carry on.
  • Mrsburg
    Only 3 miles to Strangeways :) It's a shame as the house itself is nice
    :beer:

What point are you trying to make ? 3 miles is pretty far, there's way more valuable houses much closer to the prison.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mrsburg wrote: »
    I can assure you it is a driveway and not allocated parking. It is on our deeds and we could fence / gate it if we wished.

Allocated parking is always on the deeds. We have a rental house with parking a bit like this and it certainly isn't a driveway. The parking spaces for our house are on the deeds too. That is what allocated parking is. Sometimes you can have allocated parking that is on the deeds that is not right next to the house. What you have there is allocated parking the whole estate has it.

A driveway runs through the front garden over a dropped kerb. The dropped kerb would be the width required to get one car over it. for your house to have a driveway both cars would have to access the parking spaces from one dropped kerb on one side so you would have to drive over one of the spaces to get to the other space. The other difference between allocated spaces and driveways is that with a driveway you can build a garage. There is no way that you can build a garage on one of your allocated parking spaces.

Buyers aren't stupid they aren't going to pay more for your house because you call allocated parking spaces a driveway.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would think that the house on the corner would have more appeal because getting out of the allocated parking spaces could be easier because if people park on the other side of the road they won't block the cars in also the back garden is better because it doesn't back onto the side of a garage.

People think that everyone who posts on here has no experience of buying houses. Some of us do. I am a landlord so have bought several houses. The reasons why I wouldn't buy yours to let is because I don't like the parking arrangement. If I buy a 3 bed semi I need to have a drive that goes up the side of the house in case I want to add a garage and because I know that people prefer to have a private drive rather than allocated parking spaces. I can also buy a house in train commuting distance of Manchester centre close to a station, in a very nice area and for a lot less than £190k.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Mrsburg wrote: »
    Sorry not totally sure of the point you're making. Leasehold is fairly normal for where we are.

Over the last year or two there has been quite a bit of press coverage of the problems with leasehold houses. People are now more aware of this issue and will be less likely to buy a leasehold house. There is some talk of making it illegal for developers to sell houses that would normally be freehold as leasehold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure