NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure if I've posted this month yet, we've had a busy few days decorating our bedroom, going for long walks and cycling. Our laptop is hanging on by a thread at the moment so we bought a replacement on Tuesday, we went for one of the smaller ones, I can't quite remember what they call them, so that had to be set up too - why do Microsoft make everything so hard and try to control how you use your equipement?

Ran last night and cycled this morning and have a long dog walk planned for this evening.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all :wave:
    Please will you have me back? I know I've been awol for months, but today is marking the start of a new chapter in my life and I'm getting back on the budgeting wagon in a big way. I have separated from my husband (very recently) and now need to learn to budget all over again for me and the kids without his income or expenditure. I just know that I'm scared of getting into debt again, and that I need to reassess our lifestyle and I thought that being back on here might help me.
    I know I'm late for this month, and I actually have no idea about our budget, but I would love to tag along if you'll have me. I will aim to keep a spending diary, and to get as many nsd's as I can. I want to spend the next couple of months finding out where I'm at financially.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hellooo ccl! Lovely to have you with us turtles again. Hope things settle down quickly for you. Take care.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome back CCL, glad you are back and I!!!8217;m sure you!!!8217;ll have your finances figured out soon. It took me a month or two to adjust when I came out of my last relationship but you!!!8217;re an ace at budgetting and we!!!8217;re all here to help.

Littleskintdragon sorry to hear about your grandparents, hugs

Not a SFD today as bought snacks for work meeting. I!!!8217;ve wslked the dogs and will go for a swim later (only because I want to use their jacuzzi!)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2018 at 5:13PM
    laurenh1 wrote: »
    Indigo did you get an estimate from Tesco first ?
    Not really I have the app and I monitor it but £68 of it is data. Apparantly they charge 10p for 1mb of data if you go over the allowance. :eek:. I have spoken to them and they have knocked £35 off so thats something.:( I have now capped the contract so I cant go much over now.

I have done my shopping and came under £28 for the week. We will see how we get on with that.
    Had lunch with a friend which was £8.80

I should be set for the week now but we will see.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nipped into the £ shop on the way to work and got a gazillion packs of winders and some school bars and some packs of mixed nuts. I spent £13 and reckon I've saved around £20 compared with buying the same in sainz. I am wearing my smug face!

Today I am grateful fo £ shop finds, for specsav3rs adjusting my specs,for grapes from the f+ v stall, for good times with my y11s, for dh doing as told and staying home when he could, for finding a couple of rings in the ch shop, for the parking machine giving tickets based on money inserted rather than making you pay for whole hours, for the difference pesto makes to dry chicken.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hugs to those in need of them.
    NSD: 3/19 NSD achieved today.
    Donation: Still to do.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Read books at different parts of the day.
    Move: Plenty of walking doing errands in school.
    Activation: This thread at the moment.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this.
    You.
    Grateful for:
    Finally getting home after finishing work at 5.45pm.
    Good bus connections.
    Lovely weather.
    Having a laugh with the ladies at the polling station. Seen them over the years as they have helped with the election work.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,030
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Love reading what everyone's up to and how motivated everyone is :)

Not a lot to report from me, back at Pilates yesterday and back to walking to and from work (3 miles each way) since Monday after being on holiday.

New budgets start tomorrow so will set those. Still no spend free days but it's only 3 May so time to pull some in.

Looking forward to the predicted hot sunny bank holiday weekend :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £218.29/£600 March NSD:3 March Surveys £
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,313
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tip for those with dissapearing posts....Try pressing the back button just once.
    It's happened to me a couple of times, and when I press back my post reappears :D

Move: I ran the London marathon last week,
    And am suffering with bad hips since. I did do Parkrun last Sat but ended up walking some. I'm going to running club tonight to see how I am. There's a local race on Monday and I really want to be well enough to compete, we'll see.

My foot is still hurting from my Brighton marathon the weekend before the london. I'm hoping it's not a hairline fracture! It doesn't hurt enough for my to want to sit for hours up at the hospital. If it's still sore in a few weeks I'll go to the drs and request an x-ray.

[FONT=&quot]Money[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]know your income and outgoings. Last of the DD's came out this morning, budgets updated.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Me[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Look after yourself. Revive an old hobby. Exam practice. Had my lesson today, had a bit of run with some play-along backing cds.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Move[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Trainer had double booked me, so no PT for me today. Took pup for a walk with the bestie.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: What spurs you on to keep on the path? Watching some 'extreme weightloss' on youtube for 'thin'sparation.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yourself [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. No spends today, and a couple of surveys done.
    Planned spends this month - £20 tattoo deposit.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Today I am grateful for a day off and a lie-in with the pup.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    19 NSD: 3/19 NSD Achieved.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Minimalism: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Day Three, 3 items. - An unused powerbank given to a friend (I have a more powerful one), a glass dish and dvd boxset added to a donation pile for the next time I head to a charity shop.
    [/FONT]

Check in every day. Here I am.[/FONT] :D
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £126.70 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    19 NSD: you have 12 days to spend, so use them wisely, 2/19. OH came home with some food, so NSD lost. Took the opportunity to buy a present @ <£5 for a bday this month Also spent £48+ at vets - but that's medicinal :)

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - monthly DD to WWT. Bag of toiletries and small toys donated to shoebox appeal

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - done Also transferred £25 (from another flebay sale + small cashback payout) to 'holding' account ready for next CC stmt

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries. - to do (started - have written in work days, day when collecting DD from uni, DS3's, my mum's, my sister's, my aunt's and bestie's husband's bdays... Am not going to plan food, though).

Check in every day. ok

Today I am grateful for:
    * being offered an online focus group type thing for £50 (2 hours):T
    * another flebay sale overnight - and prompt payer
    * vet apt not being that expensive (was for checking over & treatment for 3 guinea pigs)
    * baking a gorgeous seeded brown loaf
    * having a large stash of (recycled) packaging materials to hand :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport