The "Save 12k in 2018" Thread!

Comments

• denmjd
    denmjd Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jessy-eve wrote: »
    no. 22 updating for January - have managed £525, more than I thought so very pleased!
    well done!!:T:T:T:T Did you find some good savings accounts? Such a boost when you can save more than planned:j:j:j
    Hi No. 105 January savings £350
    £250 in N/w Flex reg saver
    also opened an s&s Orbis Isa with £100
  • #113 - Saved £542.25 this month which was a pleasant surprise! Will hopefully do better in February :o
    Save 12K 2019 #37 - £3,512.97 / £6,000 (July)
    [STRIKE]Save 12K 2018 #113 £7,755.49 / £7,500 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Save £12k 2017 #186 £8,507.30 / £10,000[/STRIKE]
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I'm 007 :) and I've saved exactly £1k in January.
  • £1000 for January, better than I was expecting. I spent £1200 on a new Tempur mattress in the sales but I don't like it, so that was an expensive mistake!

My S&S ISA is up and down like a bride's nightie (:D) so I can't be exact about the amount I have. But a grand saved this month is approx. right.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    My S&S ISA is up and down like a bride's nightie (:D) so I can't be exact about the amount I have. But a grand saved this month is approx. right.

Literally made me laugh out loud :D Well done WTDW and all other savers for making it through the first month :)

A bit of a disappointing start to the year for me with £1,006.12 saved for January. I don't have the excuse of a five week month or anything like that, but it has been unusual because of an overrun of Christmas stuff, a couple of last-minute trips, the falling through of my third house purchase (maybe not that unusual now!!!), paying twice for storage because it's 4-weekly, a minor mistake on my new car insurance that incurred a £50 admin fee (!!), more friends getting engaged meaning extra categories in my budget (I'm saving for each wedding individually to make it less of a hit when they each arrive with presents, travel etc) and various other things. So hopefully I'll do better next month as I really need to be averaging £1,200 per month...

Good things this month though (positive bobobski today!): I have increased my pension contribution at work to the maximum matched amount (as house purchase falling through means I can now effectively reduce my salary) - in reality this is like a pay rise and is better future planning and is now half my age in total percentage terms, I got train tickets for literally 20% of their usual price by bagging some advance tickets, cashback for my breakdown cover cleared and is in my account, my credit file is improving after the mortgage rejection last summer (not my fault - structural issues with the house leading to £0 valuation - big impact on my file) and on a more personal front my boyfriend and I have started talking about long term plans which is all looking pretty positive :)

So February's aims: eat out less (£275 this month is unforgiveable!!) and continue being frugal with weekly shop (this has halved over the last six months - probably because I'm eating out more?!?!). The boyfriend and I are looking at a mini-getaway at the end of March so perhaps savings won't be amazing but in theory I should be able to average a lot more than £1,200 per month so maybe £14k is still feasible?!

Anyway, good luck for all those yet to report, and SF I hope all is ok with you and the little ones.
  • brizza
    brizza Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning! Can I have a number please? Can I have a target of £12,000 and can I also declare £3,040 for this month (bit of a freak month with lots of overdue commission paid, won't be repeated, but off it goes onto deposit/pension as appropriate).
  • Hello everyone

BBH 14 declaring £ 484 for January due in the main to unexpected car repairs.

I cannot open the update link though #sadface
  • letiss7
    letiss7 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Some great savings stories. I will declare £674 for Jan which is not a great start but things are looking better for the next couple of months so hope to make up the deficit.
    I'm #27 in the spreadsheet.
    No. 5 in the 'Save 12k for 2021' thread.
    £4250/£12000
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Slowlyfading - thank you for adding me to the spreadsheet.

I sent £500 to my final debt this month which means I can start my savings :). #121 - £150/£6000
  • fIIsion
    fIIsion Posts: 19 Forumite
    Declaring £916.70 for January. A little over £80 under the amount I wanted to save for this month, however will be able to make this up hopefully next month.
    House deposit..............£30000 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport