Time to turn this around

Comments

• Tahlullah wrote: »
    I've been humming The Cranberries songs all evening. Really very sad that she has died and so young.

Read your diary from the beginning and cheering you along. You seem to be doing well but I do understand the blues. I know I am suffering from them at the moment. I can't seem to focus. I'm budgeting well and not overspending, I just don't seem to be able to save any money to pay down the mortgage.

But, every little helps and you are doing fine.

Thanks Tallulah, it really helps to know that someone is cheering me along. I've subscribed to your diary, feeling much more positive today as we're all in this together and it's not as lonely as it feels sometimes. I'm seriously considering telling Mr P about the scale of the debt, I don't think he has a clue. I just worry that he will judge me, but I feel myself pushing him away at the moment and it's really unfair.
    £20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
    In the process of shedding 42lbs
  • I thought I would pop in and cheer you on. This time of year everything seems such a slog but you are doing really well.

Re your wedding dress, if you love it keep it, It wont clear your debt and you will never be able to replace it. If you get to the point where you cant put food on the table it is an option but sell it now and you will probably regret it,

I thought I was doing well this month until the boiler died yesterday. Best quote is £950 to fix so an emergency fund is definitely a priority, We don't have any credit cards so would have been in big trouble and pretty frozen!!

Keep on keeping on and I shall go back to lurking!
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    I must admit I would not be torn about the wedding dress.

I have things that I know I should sell because I believe they would bring in money, but I still haven't. And when I think about it, I feel guilty because its not sentimentality holding me back, its doubt that anyone would want it.

I would guess the tell would be whether you are the sentimental type or not. If you are, then keep it. Get it altered, dyed and re-styled so you can enjoy it again. If you aren't the sentimental type, you have lots of photos. You won't wear it again. You can't guarantee that if you have a daughter, she will want to wear it, so you could get some money out of it and move forward with your plan.

And now the boiler has died. Would selling the dress help towards the cost of the boiler? Dress in a box on top of the wardrobe never to be used again, or pay towards the cost of the boiler repair.

Decisions decisions.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • I thought I would pop in and cheer you on. This time of year everything seems such a slog but you are doing really well.

Re your wedding dress, if you love it keep it, It wont clear your debt and you will never be able to replace it. If you get to the point where you cant put food on the table it is an option but sell it now and you will probably regret it,

I thought I was doing well this month until the boiler died yesterday. Best quote is £950 to fix so an emergency fund is definitely a priority, We don't have any credit cards so would have been in big trouble and pretty frozen!!

Keep on keeping on and I shall go back to lurking!

Sorry to hear about the boiler, these things always seem to break at the worst possible time of year!
  • Last night was my first Weight Watchers session, I like the sound of the new plan and the coach is lovely. Having something other than debt-busting to focus on is essential to my sanity, it can't all be about the debt. I've decided for now to hang on to the wedding dress, I think I would regret selling it. It can be a useful weight loss motivation tool - does it fit again yet? :rotfl:

I've got £39 sat in my PayPal account after my most recent eBaying, I'll wait until the fees have been deducted then send the remainder to the Virgin card. This is due to be paid off in June, that doesn't seem too far away and an achievable milestone. Paying one card off entirely will be really helpful to my mindset.
  • I’ve had £366 deposited in my account by HSBC, but I haven’t made a recent PPI claim. Will wait to get a letter or email confirming this before I send this unexpected windfall to Debt Miuntain....
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wow that is a windfall! Hope it's yours and not an error. If it is yours, what a boost at this time of year.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Not much to report on the debt-busting front, payday is Thursday so I'll make some payments then. Still no word on the PPI refund, which is sitting in my account somewhat confusingly.

Have my first weigh-in at WW tonight, I've stuck to the points so I'm hoping for any kind of loss. I've realised that weight loss and debt-busting are both long-term endeavours, a budget whether it is food points or pounds is needed, you can't expect to cheat on it and get the results you want and progress, although slow, will soon stack up over time.

I managed another zero spend weekend, I have some spends planned for this post-pay-day weekend which are already budgeted out. We have family visiting so I'm going to enjoy myself and not think about Debt Mountain once! :j
  • I called into the bank to enquire about the PPI refund, the lady said that letters are going out soon. Apparently it is the tax that was automatically sent to HMRC when PPI claims were paid out.

So it looks like it is mine, but I'm not going to allocate it until I've received the letter and confirmed.
  • Sounds good though.

I desperately need to lose some weight, it is impacting in a couple of areas of my life and I need it gone. I just find I get so so hungry at work though. I have done weight watchers with good results in the past so may look at going back if I can find a meeting to fit in.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure