Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 10th Aug 18, 3:59 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Wowos
    Deposit/pay-in to someone elseís Lloyds account
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:59 AM
    Deposit/pay-in to someone elseís Lloyds account 10th Aug 18 at 3:59 AM
    Hello everyone.
    Is it possible to pay-in money to someone elseís account at Lloyds Bank?
    I do not have an account in the UK but I need to transfer some money to a Lloydsí client.
    I did TransferWise in the past but it so happens that I will have a 13h lay-over in London next week so instead of paying the transfer fee I would like to deposit cash at a branch.

Is it possible?

How do I do it?

Thanks in advance for all your answers!
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    Unfortunately it is no longer possible, in general, to deposit cash into the bank account of another person in UK. If it's a company account, that's different.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 10th Aug 18, 7:27 AM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 28,119 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:27 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:27 AM
    Some Lloyds branches still have immediate deposit machines which unless they have updated them you can use by entering the sort number/account number on the screen (it gives you the optoon to use the card for the account or the account details) . This then gives you the option to deposit cash or cheques.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 10th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    Lloyds bank used to provide paying-in books some 10 years ago. It might be the case the account holder still have one and might be able to send you a slip. Then you can pay in any post office.

TSB bank still uses paying-in books, so it's not true that you can't pay money into someone else's account in UK.
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 10th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wowos
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    Thanks to everyone who answered my question.
    To add to the confusion I just called Lloyds Bank and I was told that "it should not be a problem if you have an account number and a sort code of that person". But the lady I spoke to did not have confidence in her voice. She sounded as if she was guessing.

I guess I will have to find out next week at a branch.
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 10th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wowos
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    Unfortunately that Lloyds Bank client can not send me the paying in slip because it would not arrive here by the time I leave.
    Last edited by Wowos; 10-08-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    realgonekid
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    It depends on the branch and the teller. As others have said use the self service instant deposit machine. I paid it at a Lloyds branch for someone week with no issue
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 25,313 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    How much do you want to pay in?
    A few hundred should not be a problem but if it is over a thousand quid questions will be asked which might get the receiving account blocked pending ''investigations''?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 10th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wowos
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    I have been thinking about this. I need to transfer 2500 but I can actually pay in twice since I will have a lay-over on my return a few days later as well. If you think more than a 1000 is too much then I can make two deposits of 1000 and the rest can go via TransferWise.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Aug 18, 9:24 PM
    • 25,313 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    If you have a legitimate reason for paying in cash then why split the transactions?
    If asked just tell the truth - then no drama.
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 10th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wowos
    I do have a good reason which is paying the money back. I thought this was your suggestion not to pay above a thousand. I do not have a problem doing it at once but since you suggested it may cause trouble, why cause trouble?
    I transfer via TransferWise no problems but it looks like the banks in the UK do not like to receive money from strangers.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 15,143 Thanks
    Westie983
    The Immediate Deposit Machines (IDM) in Lloyds that you can use without a card with just the sort code and account number will only allow 50 notes per paying in, so £1000 in £20 - £500 in £5, so you will need to pay in more then once if using the IDM.

The other option could be the Envelope Paying In system (EPI), which you could use to put in the total amount, writing the sort code and account number on the paying in slip and using the drop box system (not all branches still have these as the IDM, is used more as its immediate and doesn't require a cashier to pay the money in, some branches are removing cashiers and only have paying in machines)

Without knowing the branch, its hard to know which option would be more suitable, but the IDM machines are in every branch, but will need to split the deposits in to two or more payments.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (£16000)+£0/£12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (£450)+£1/£500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total (£165)+£0/£365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£1300)+£0/£1000 = 0.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1030)+£0/£2000 = 0.0%

Total £1.00/£15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 11th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 25,313 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    I do have a good reason which is paying the money back. I thought this was your suggestion not to pay above a thousand. I do not have a problem doing it at once but since you suggested it may cause trouble, why cause trouble?
    I transfer via TransferWise no problems but it looks like the banks in the UK do not like to receive money from strangers.
    Originally posted by Wowos
    I only said that some branches would ask you some questions for a grand or more - my local branch does not have one of those deposit machines so you would in that instance have to go to a cashier to pay in.
    Other banks will not let you pay in to somebody else's account.
    • Wowos
    • By Wowos 11th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wowos
    The Immediate Deposit Machines (IDM) in Lloyds that you can use without a card with just the sort code and account number will only allow 50 notes per paying in, so £1000 in £20 - £500 in £5, so you will need to pay in more then once if using the IDM.

The other option could be the Envelope Paying In system (EPI), which you could use to put in the total amount, writing the sort code and account number on the paying in slip and using the drop box system (not all branches still have these as the IDM, is used more as its immediate and doesn't require a cashier to pay the money in, some branches are removing cashiers and only have paying in machines)

Without knowing the branch, its hard to know which option would be more suitable, but the IDM machines are in every branch, but will need to split the deposits in to two or more payments.

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983

Thanks for that info. Looks like this is my best option especially if those Instant Deposit Machines are accessible 24/7. I land close to 4pm and by the time I go through passport control and change USD to GBP banks may be closed.

I have one more question out of topic.

I am going to exchange my USD at Thomas Exchange Global. Are they known for fair rates or shall I go somewhere else?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 21,416 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I would just continue to use Transferwise (or some other electronic payment method), changing cash will always get you a worse rate than the best electronic payments, and as you've previously found you can do it without any hassle.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 25,313 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Thanks for that info. Looks like this is my best option especially if those Instant Deposit Machines are accessible 24/7. I land close to 4pm and by the time I go through passport control and change USD to GBP banks may be closed.

I have one more question out of topic.

I am going to exchange my USD at Thomas Exchange Global. Are they known for fair rates or shall I go somewhere else?
    Originally posted by Wowos
    I thought ATM 's were open 24/7 but the immediate deposits I have seen are inside the branch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,906Posts Today

9,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin