Travelling On

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks earthgirl! I have a stack of books that will be no good in the local charity shop, I'm wondering about selling those on Amazon, or just on webuybooks. A decision for next week, I think.

Another mfw achievement last night, thanks to greent: I joined ICE for my mastercard, in the last few hours of the offer, so I'll get the tenner that Martin blagged for mse members, plus ongoing points. Hurray!

Talking of refunds, also had the refunds from the cruise: because of the changes in the itinerary due to the storm, we had four cancellations of day trips, plus I cancelled another one from sheer tiredness. We rebooked the four, though (on my sister's card) so there's lots of money-swaps to be done with my sister once she gets invoiced for the ones we ended up taking. I was impressed that the company never even charged a nominal £5 for cancellation and rebooking.

In the post yesterday, a few finance things: a couple will help me update my net worth, and there's only two French mortgage payments left, plus a third payment thats about a quarter of the normal, to pay off the remaining capital. Since the rental payments *to* me will continue, I need to find some kind of investment account in France thats going to help, mortgage interest won't be claimable any more!

Off to play in London today, going to the Rodin exhibition, I lurve Rodin. I hope everyone has a good day.

We had music magpie and ziffit open on comp and 3 boxes. Bar code into each to see who wanted it and what price then book into either mm box, z box or charity box. Ziffit better prices but pickier, Mm took more but often at 1p and when money came through they took off more for damaged or reasons known only to them however they usually gave better prices for dvds and cds as we popped a few in to fill the box .

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Daisy :) I'm willing to work to sell some stuff, but not endlessly - so this could be a really good alternative. Diarised for next week.

Rodin was brilliant - I'd forgotten that the exhibition was based on his links with Ancient Greece (via the British Museum itself, he never went to Greece) which I love most of all.

Popped over to John Lewis on Oxford Street, to change back Norwegian money - spent about £75 all told, so the inclusivity of the holiday really proved its worth. As a reward, we had a saunter about JL haberdashery, which I've always loved, and still didn't buy anything :D

Today, its catchup day, mostly cleaning of one sort or another :( and gardening :) and sorting a lot of genealogy scans.

I think I'm going to buy a full size dishwasher - it might go underneath the present counter if I take the top off it, like the current one has, but if not, I'll put it *next* to the counter, until I'm ready to get the kitchen redone, and put the kitchen table upstairs for now. And I will get the kitchen redone, since I'm staying here (I'll move if I win the million pound premium bond :) The electrics downstairs aren't wonderful, the plaster is appalling and falling off, the chimney breast deprives me of a lot of space, the oven doesn't work and is too big in any case, the cupboard doors are nice but the plastic finish is falling off, etc, etc. I can get a lot more storage in there.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think that sounds like a sensible plan re the dishwasher. Ooh the luxury of a full-size one! (Ours is slimline and you can never get everything in it! (First world problems ;) )).

Glad you enjoyed Rodin :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Thanks madvix! You have my sympathies for the slimline - I've used them in holiday lets, and I really didn't get on with them. Hey ho. It can be a good thing that our white goods don't last for so long!
  • Karmacat
    Dishwasher ordered, a Kenwood from Currys. Weird, but it has measurements that might just go into the space I've got at the moment. Free delivery on Monday, which means, unless I'm *very* lucky, I won't be able to go on the healthy walk, but I'm running out of patience with dishwashing :) and everything else, it seems - survey at the end promised two questions, gave me 10. I got to the end so that I could tell them I noticed that they were lying liars :D the survey firm, that is.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hope it fits! I'd be totally lost without ours.
    Hope you enjoyed a day of littering and didn't work too hard.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    I'm a bit lost too! I only got one about 7 years ago, but I simply wouldn't be permanently without one now - a lot of stuff has got in the way of buying one, and I can't wait for it to come!

I've had quite a lazy day, to be honest, though I *did* finally get round to planting the three little pots of chives I've made out of a supermarket pot that cost £1.25. Its quite a bit deal - digging this soil is *so* difficult, and just in that little area, I must have put 20 or 30 litres of water. I hope they survive - I do have one clump already, so once they start putting their roots down, they *should* be okay.

Night night all :)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yeah to a new dishwasher! Totally agree with you - how did we ever survive without them?

Today's adventure was that our :mad: boiler packed in mid-shower! A work from home day so I decided to wash my hair & ended up rinsing the suds out with cold water!:eek::eek::eek: Not at all fun! Boiler man has now come and gone - tweaked & fiddled with it & it is now up and running!

Have you had a downpour yet? - Just had a massive thunderstorm here - it was coming down in sheets! The sheep ran for shelter under the trees & the partridges ran into the barn - don't think any of the remembered what water is!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Good for the parched grass and plants thought!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    edited 14 July 2018 at 10:52AM
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Yeah to a new dishwasher! Totally agree with you - how did we ever survive without them?
    :D
    Today's adventure was that our :mad: boiler packed in mid-shower! A work from home day so I decided to wash my hair & ended up rinsing the suds out with cold water!:eek::eek::eek: Not at all fun! Boiler man has now come and gone - tweaked & fiddled with it & it is now up and running!
    Woah! Thats more adventure than I like :eek: sorry to hear this, RT! It really does seem that as soon as one thing goes, everything else gets a snit on :D
    Have you had a downpour yet? - Just had a massive thunderstorm here - it was coming down in sheets! The sheep ran for shelter under the trees & the partridges ran into the barn - don't think any of the remembered what water is!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Good for the parched grass and plants thought!
    Oh my :rotfl: No, it hasn't reached us yet. The clouds look really ominous - well, they did, they've cleared now - and I can just *feel* that its coming. Though I've felt that for the last 3 days :rotfl:

I've been in the garden weeding - seedheads, brambles, stalks of dead sorrel (that goes in the compost bin), the back of the border is now once again overgrown by 3 or 4 layers of brambles :( but its still a lot better than it was this time last year, because then *everything* was under brambles or overgrown hedges or something.

Am also backing up the computer - with all the pictures and notes and scans I've taken recently, it really needs it :)
  • Karmacat
    Morning :) no garden work today, my bad shoulder is killing me, so this morning is scanning/ bit of cleaning/ whatever else I can turn a hand to.

This afternoon: the local horticultural society I just joined has its summer show :j:j:j I didn't realise, but the lady running the Physic Garden trip has said she'll be there with my ticket, so I'm going, and I would anyway, if I'd know :j:o I'll buy some herbs from my list if they have them.

Also preparing for tomorrow (a trip to the waterlilies at a local National Trust Centre, a bus from my town runs directly there on Sundays). And then preparing for Monday morning and the wait for the dishwasher :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure