PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    After a slightly non- keeping track of things May and June I'm back on track (hopefully) for July.

Started the month with a freezer thawing disaster but on the plus side, now that I've had to clear it out, it can be properly organised, and I actually know what's in it for a change :D

Target for July is £250 x
  • Snorky6
    Snorky6 Posts: 4 Newbie
    So far i have managed to not spend anymore money so far this week. I even made a cake yesterday to stop the OH from buying snacks like he normally does after running club. Getting loads of tips from you all. I might try getting some of next week's shop in aldi but might struggle OH is a bit of a brand addict and a snob when it comes to his food. Does anyone else have this issue?

Total £70.39/£300
    £229.61 left
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Clocked up a whopping £6.29 yesterday on ingredients for a chocolate cake for my sister's birthday :eek: - a luxury Mary Berry chocolate cake, what she requested, but hopefully it won't melt!

She definitely deserves it, but it put a dent in my new, smaller budget!

Some of it was store cupboard, as I had to buy a whole new tin of cocoa powder, which will last me for years, and a pack of self raising, but the dark chocolate and double cream were a one-off expense :rotfl:
  • Snorky6 wrote: »
    So far i have managed to not spend anymore money so far this week. I even made a cake yesterday to stop the OH from buying snacks like he normally does after running club. Getting loads of tips from you all. I might try getting some of next week's shop in aldi but might struggle OH is a bit of a brand addict and a snob when it comes to his food. Does anyone else have this issue?

Total £70.39/£300
    £229.61 left

My husband was the same - it's what he knew all his life. He's now a true convert. Most of the things in Aldi are the same, or actually better than the brands. Just make a deal to give it a try one week and then only get the brands that he really can't live without after that. He'll probably be positively surprised!
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Hey, I'd like to join if I may.

My budget for the month is £200 for myself, plus my other half 3 evenings and one day a week (so 4 meals + 1 breakfast a week.) I've already spent £84.60 on a big home delivery - but that's got me a very well stocked cupboard, plus enough alcohol to last the entire month. (Yay, 25% off 6 bottles of wine at Tesco again!). I tend to do my weekly shop online, at just over £40 a week, plus one 'double' week, when I buy all the booze for the month and top up basics. I find it difficult to get to the shops and the minimum order for most deliveries is £40, so going beneath that isn't an option. I'd ideally like to get it to £160 for the month, without cutting out too much alcohol!

I only have a small chest freezer, so batch cooking or stocking up on fresh meat bargains etc is difficult. To top it all off, I'm a vegetarian and my partner is a meat eater, so I tend to find myself cooking properly for him and bunging in a quorn fillet or similar for myself about once a week, which works out quite expensive!

I'd love to hear any easy meals that can be made meaty or vegetarian. I tend to do stir fry (I cook his meat separate) and fajitas (meat for him, beans for me) a lot, as they're easy to do both ways. He also quite likes veggie tortellini/raviolis, though I sometimes fry off some pancetta to top his off.

This week, my goal is to make a whole bunch of fajita/taco seasoning, instead of buying packets. I've been putting it off as spending £4-5 on spices seems more expensive than 50p for a packet - but I know I can make a large batch so it'll be cheaper overall, and we do eat them a lot. Hopefully I can work that into my budget!
  • SilverBird_2
    SilverBird_2 Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GC budget will be £180 for the month of June.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,760 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NSD for me today grocery wise. The garden kindly gave me a courgette, some rhubarb which I stewed and froze in "add to yogurt" sized lumps and a handful of peas.

K80 what about home made pizza? Jack Monroe's basic pizza dough is so easy to make (and freezes really well incidentally). The recipe if you search for it is for penny pizzas but I make the same dough and use it to make individual pizzas for myself and the House Troll. I like spicy tomato puree and plenty of veg on mine and he doesn't. Special fried rice is another one - add veg, beansprouts etc and just put his meat in at the end like you do for stir fries.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    K80 what about home made pizza? Jack Monroe's basic pizza dough is so easy to make (and freezes really well incidentally). The recipe if you search for it is for penny pizzas but I make the same dough and use it to make individual pizzas for myself and the House Troll. I like spicy tomato puree and plenty of veg on mine and he doesn't. Special fried rice is another one - add veg, beansprouts etc and just put his meat in at the end like you do for stir fries.

Yeah, I've done pizzas a few times. I actually used to be a pizza chef - maybe that's why I begrudge making them, it feels like work!

Fried rice is a great idea, thanks!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £33 today mainly on F&V, fresh stuff and some bits for son staying & bbq at the weekend. Total so far £48/£150
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    £11.50/£100 at the minute... £4.50 of that is laundrette costs for my winter duvet.

I need to go shopping but I can't face the thought of cooking - too hot!! Jacket potatoes in the microwave and salad are about my limit at the minute. Have also had quite a few days out that are coming out of a different budget as well.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure