PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What encouraged you to save for a house deposit?

My children have all finished their studies and will be in full time employment. I want to encourage them to save for their futures. What encouraged you to save for your first house?
:j:£12,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
Retirement date planned May 2023

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Simply that I wanted to buy a house! I started saving around 22/22, moved out at 30!
  • Seven years to save is a long time, I want to keep them focused and not give up and splash out on holidays and cars.
    :j:£12,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Always been a saver at a young age, bought on my own at 25.

You could try showing them the cost of buying a house, mortgage calculators etc
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Shoe them how they will be paying someone else's mortgage if they rent. It worked for me eventually once debt was paid off after uni
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Always been a saver at a young age, bought on my own at 25.

You could try showing them the cost of buying a house, mortgage calculators etc

Dont do that they would give before they start!
  • That's my concern, we have looked at calculators and I have done a budget spreadsheet for them. Very tight budget, even on the cheapest houses in the cheapest areas.
    They will need to a save a good sized deposit.
    Are the 30-35 year mortgages any good? Thinking this might help them. I am wary of help to buy schemes,should I be?
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's kind of something they'll have to figure out for themselves, but showing them how much a monthly mortgage repayment would be compared to rent could help.
    It can be really hard for young people for whom it might take 5-7 years of saving for a deposit to take the first step as the challenge seems so great. Getting into a regular savings habit from the off is the best bet.
  • I moved out at 18, so for me it was to have security. I saved from 18 to 27 when I bought and got a 30 year mortgage. I paid rent the whole time and wasn't on the highest wage. I bought in the south east. It can be done by anyone I think if it is a priority.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    I've saved for as long as I can remember and only buying now in early 30s

My 1 goal as a teen was to buy my own house. After uni I rented with a friend. Then lived on my own for 5 years. Still saving but watching the house market boom.

Decided to buy a car. Figured I was never going to be able to afford a house so put some of my savings into a car I needed for work.

Continued saving and have done ever since. But have rented for the last 13 years (inc uni) .

I've not scrimped on holidays although I'm not overly extravagant either & I've had new cars.

I wouldn't have done anything different but my aim was always to buy my own place regardless of how long it took me.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    If they are living at home you charge them a commercial rent and the put it away in a saving account so that they can't get at it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure