Where do I stand with my notice period?

Hi all,

I have a cleaning job at a local school that I started in January 3028. I sed to work it in the evening but in the middle of October 2019 I transferred to a morning position.

On October 16th, I was sent my P45 and told that I had been removed from payroll and all other company systems and then re-enrolled on them.

I now want to leave this job as I've been offered a new job. My contract says that employees who have worked at the company for under a year only have to give one week notice. Since I was removed from the systems and sent my P45, I believe that I only have to give a week notice since this employment only started on October 17th but my manager says I have to give 4 weeks notice as I've worked there over a year.

So, do any of you know whether I have to give one or four weeks notice?

Thanks,
Jordan.

Comments

• Jordan33 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a cleaning job at a local school that I started in January 3028. I sed to work it in the evening but in the middle of October 2019 I transferred to a morning position.

On October 16th, I was sent my P45 and told that I had been removed from payroll and all other company systems and then re-enrolled on them.

I now want to leave this job as I've been offered a new job. My contract says that employees who have worked at the company for under a year only have to give one week notice. Since I was removed from the systems and sent my P45, I believe that I only have to give a week notice since this employment only started on October 17th but my manager says I have to give 4 weeks notice as I've worked there over a year.

So, do any of you know whether I have to give one or four weeks notice?

Thanks,
    Jordan.

You need to give 4 weeks. The removal and putting you back on to payroll was an admin error and doesn't break your service.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I agree with the above. Your service has been continuous, you have simply been moved from one system to another. It does look like poor operational practice if you have a P45 issued due to a system change.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As the other two posters above me have touched upon - it's generally based on 'continuous' service of which it's clear to see this is. Four weeks would be the appropriate notice.
    Know what you don't
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

Was there any gap between the contracts?
    date of termination on P45 and new start date

How were you paid?
    if weekly was there a full week without any pay.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What notice dies it say on your contract. In the absence of a contract
    statotory notice from employee to employer is just one week no matter how many years you have worked

Statutory notice from employer to employee is 1 week for each full year
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport