Faulty meter ?

Comments

• Thanks for your reply, yes it does feel like they are fobbing me off so far.
    I have a small 3 bedroom house with the heating generally set at 17° during the day and 15° at night
    My average usage last winter was only 2.67 units per day, summer was 4.44 ! Which was what made me start checking my usage.
    Readings over past 12 days
    It seems to be an intermittent problem which worries me if i get the meter tested as it may not show up on that day
  • Gerry1 wrote: »
    Meters CAN go wrong...

In other beaking news, it is being reported that the sun WILL rise tomorrow morning and set again later in the day :cool:
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Eye_Wash wrote: »
    In other beaking news, it is being reported that the sun WILL rise tomorrow morning and set again later in the day :cool:
    Well, at least I can spell 'breaking', and my link added relevant evidence to the debate. :mad:
  • The readings you have taken clearly show an issue with a battery issue/fault being a definite possibility.

This could mean that there is a delay with the display on your meter changing the reading making it look like you have used more over a particular period of time than you actually did but this also means it didn't show enough usage used prior to this point.

For example, from the readings you gave from 6679 to 6685 you only used 6 metric units of gas over 6 days which is very low for the time of year and then you used 52 metric units over 4 days which is very high. However, the average over the 10 day period is 58 metric units, which on average is approximately 60 to 65 kWh per day (not too excessive for a winter month).

Therefore, if it is a battery fault then you may not be necessarily overcharged as the meter is still EVENTUALLY showing the right usage.

However, let us know what the readings are today, tomorrow and Monday for further help and clues.

Out of curiousity, do you have two ACTUAL not estimated readings from this time last year? Say a reading in November, December, January and February
  • Ok that actually makes quite a bit of sense because those days that it registered 0 usage we did have heating on, cooked and had showers.

Desperately looking for last years readings now
  • Gerry1
    Another Libra 310p meter that went wrong...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5408017
  • Thanks gerry i was just reading through that link
  • Could that also be why after i switched gas mains off the meter continued to rise ?
  • Gerry1
    Matthaus73 wrote: »
    Could that also be why after i switched gas mains off the meter continued to rise ?
    It may be that the 'B' symbol denotes a failing battery, but that they've failed to replace it and hence the meter is malfunctioning.

Take a video of the meter incrementing when the supply has been turned off and keep it for evidence. Conduct all future communication in writing so that you have an audit trail.

Send a written request headed COMPLAINT: LETTER BEFORE ACTION asking for a deadlock letter so that you can go to the Ombudsman. Then do so upon receipt, or after eight weeks if they don't send it.
  • Matthaus73 wrote: »
    Could that also be why after i switched gas mains off the meter continued to rise ?

Yes this could possibly be the reason in regards to a battery fault.

But faulty meters in regards to a fault whereby the meter is not recording the actual usage accurately and is over recording or under recording every day can also do the same thing.

As you explained the issue appears to be intermittent and on review of the average usage over the 10 day period in my previous post, this makes me lean towards the issue just being a battery fault rather than a fault where the meter is recording the usage inaccurately and will continue to do so.

Either way, I would want the meter to be changed even if its just a battery fault but do not have the meter changed without being tested (IF) you think the meter is faulty in regards to overrecording your usage meaning you are being overcharged. If you think you are being overcharged due to any fault then you should request a meter accuracy test.

If you do have actual readings from last winter that would be useful for further clues.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback