MSE News discussion. Nationwide kills cheap overseas spending

Comments

• Olipro wrote: »
    well, here's the possibilities

1) as it's early in the month they might still get them out in time

2) they're planning a full or partial U-turn and are going to revise it.

3) they're postponing the date for introducing the charges
    The branch staff say the letters are going out in batches but I've not seen anyone here say they've recieved one yet.

Robert
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there a minimum one needs in Nationwide to get a vote?

Robert

The ballot papers are fixed so it makes it easier for people to agree with what nationwide wants.

Therefore if you want to start a campaign you need to start it now. People need to know who you are and what you are standing for. You also need to be able deal with the dirt that will be dug up on you and claims about your lack of experience.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Petition here. Lets see how many names we can get. 'We call upon Nationwide Building Society to reinstate the previous policy of allowing its members free access to their money...'
    A relative was charge £10 by Nationwide this week for withdrawing money from a savings account in the form of a branch cheque. I then paid said cheque into my Nationwide account.

Had she been aware of this scam and the alternatives she could have asked me for my account number and had it paid direct so I've subsequently learned.

BTW how much does it cost to print a cheque? 'Please be aware that no gold leaf was used in the making of this cheque'.

Robert
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there a minimum one needs in Nationwide to get a vote?

Robert

£100, the same as you need to benefit from a demutualisation windfall.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A relative was charge £10 by Nationwide this week for withdrawing money from a savings account in the form of a branch cheque. I then paid said cheque into my Nationwide account.

Had she been aware of this scam and the alternatives she could have asked me for my account number and had it paid direct so I've subsequently learned.

BTW how much does it cost to print a cheque? 'Please be aware that no gold leaf was used in the making of this cheque'.

Robert

Unfortunately all banks and building societies are there to make money.

They have no regard nowadays of helping a customer to spend less.

It's up to the customer to ask for information and to record that information in case they have been given dude advice. :(
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • jonesjw
    jonesjw Posts: 201 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2010 at 11:19PM
    olly300 wrote: »
    The ballot papers are fixed so it makes it easier for people to agree with what nationwide wants.

Therefore if you want to start a campaign you need to start it now. People need to know who you are and what you are standing for. You also need to be able deal with the dirt that will be dug up on you and claims about your lack of experience.

You are quite right. However, if there is a good enough external campaign, that should overcome the Nationwide propaganda.

By the way, don't close your accounts!!! Just move all your money elsewhere and retain your right to vote against the incumbent management next year.

Also, slightly less significantly, there's an internal poll. USE YOUR VOTE to highlight your disgust with the Nationwide. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35340765#post35340765
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite

Robert

Presumably she was told of the charge at the time? If not, then that's not on. If so, then she could have refused or asked whether there were any alternatives (to be honest, the idea that someone in this day and age might not have heard of bank transfers seems unlikely).
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Robert
    I've just noticed that Nationwide have renamed a "Counter Cheque" a "Counter draft" and now charge £10 each time, see here http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/charges.htm

I've never received any notification of this change, so I'm not a happy bunny (again!) as I need a "Counter Cheque" in a few days time.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    I always thought Nationwide was there for it's members, it's almost as bad as any bank now!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • ViolaLass wrote: »
    Presumably she was told of the charge at the time? If not, then that's not on. If so, then she could have refused or asked whether there were any alternatives (to be honest, the idea that someone in this day and age might not have heard of bank transfers seems unlikely).
    She was told at the time, but it was too late then. In this particular case she may well have been unaware of bank transfers. Does it really cost £10 to produce a cheque?

Robert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport