No such thing as a silly question.

Comments

• I've been considering pretty much this same point. As it stands, I'd take the amount in March and there will be no tax to pay (as it will be within my allowance).

Assuming no additional charges incurred for monthly payments I was thinking there's an argument for going down that route on the basis that taking the whole lot in one go has some of the negatives of trying to time the market, i.e. you could be taking the money out after a very good month or a very bad month.

By taking an equal amount every month you reduce the risk of bad timing; does that make any sense?
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    davidwatts wrote: »
    I've been considering pretty much this same point. As it stands, I'd take the amount in March and there will be no tax to pay (as it will be within my allowance).

Assuming no additional charges incurred for monthly payments I was thinking there's an argument for going down that route on the basis that taking the whole lot in one go has some of the negatives of trying to time the market, i.e. you could be taking the money out after a very good month or a very bad month.

By taking an equal amount every month you reduce the risk of bad timing; does that make any sense?

If you take your first payment from the provider in March you will still pay tax as they won't have a tax code for you from HMRC so will treat it as all taxed.

Would be OK from Year 2 onward as they will have a code for you.

One option might be to take a small amount to trigger the allocation of a code and then take the larger / full amount a couple of months later once all setup correctly.
  • If it were me and I was using the money to live off then I would take it in one go at the start of the year, perhaps even two years worth.

You wouldn't invest money if you wanted to access that money within three years because of volatility risk. The same theory applies on money already invested if you're drawing down a proportion of it.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it were me and I was using the money to live off then I would take it in one go at the start of the year, perhaps even two years worth.

You wouldn't invest money if you wanted to access that money within three years because of volatility risk. The same theory applies on money already invested if you're drawing down a proportion of it.
    I suppose it depends how much is invested and what it's invested in and if there is a cash buffer. If it is a substantial pension pot and the £12k income is coming from dividends, he could just draw out £1,000 from the dividend income each month.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mick-H wrote: »
    I'm going to be drawing down £12000 from my pension pot every year for the next 9 years.
    Should l take all £12000 at the start of the year, the end of the year or £1000 per month?
    Currently taking £1000 per month which seems the most sensible to me at least, or is there a better option?

How much will your provider charge you for each of the available options?
  • fronty
    fronty Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    To avoid all the HMRC shenanigans, can't you just do a "bed-'n'-ISA" then draw it down smoothly or in lumps however you like - payments from an ISA are tax free aren't they?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    Take £100 in month 1 then take the rest a little later once you have a tax code.

As for HMRCs shenanigins, don't get me started. I am looking at a rather large (for me anyway) tax bill in would you believe Jan 2021 because HMRC have decided that a small pension paid in March 2019 is due to be paid every month not every year so they think they can get £2k taxs out of it next year. I should be so lucky.

They refuse to let me do self assessment any longer. They can't get my savings interest anything like correct & I am supposed to trust them to get my tax correct when they can't even get my annual income correct.

The good news is that they can't charge any penalties & the money stays in my accounts gaining me interest. I should (if they would let me do self assessment) be paying them over £1k by the end of Jan. They are not even putting it on this years tax code so by the time they get round to it again I will owe them over £2k.

I did try telling them, but they were their usual selves & told me I was wrong. So whilst interest rates are not good at present I have over £1k for 2 years and over another £1.5k for another year, much better in my bank than their's.

I've told them, they ignored what I said - as far as I am concerned that is their problem, I told them they would not be able to collect enough through their tax code, they told me I was wrong. They can only collect 50% of the income via a tax code no matter how large or small the income no matter how large or small the code. You can only take £1k tax out of a taxable income of £2k no matter what the tax code & they certainly can't take over £2k (larger than the income so a definite no no).

Remember all those tax inspectors they dumped? They are raking it in now as independents/self employed. Who is paying for all this? That would be us - the tax payer, as in those of us who actually pay taxes not those of us who are rich enough not to have to bother.
  • A few wrong assumptions here. A single withdrawal of 12K will be taxed as if it were 144K (so losing personal allowance, savings allowance etc). It won't matter whether it is the first month of the tax year or the last. It is a brain dead system.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    A few wrong assumptions here. A single withdrawal of 12K will be taxed as if it were 144K (so losing personal allowance, savings allowance etc). It won't matter whether it is the first month of the tax year or the last. It is a brain dead system.
    [FONT=&quot]That’s not my experience. Once I had a tax code issued, I haven’t had any tax taken off the one payment from my SIPP that I take towards the end of the tax year. If they had assumed 12 payments, I would have been liable for a significant amount of tax.[/FONT]
  • Mick-H
    Mick-H Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    How much will your provider charge you for each of the available options?

It's a yearly fee of around £680 with pension bee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure