SC Security Clearance with defaults and previous casual work

Options
Hello

I'm looking for some advice regarding SC security clearance.

I've been offered a job abroad with the civil service, its an amazing opportunity and I'm so excited by it but I'm now terribly worried because of the security clearance needed and whether my past mistakes will stop me from getting the job.

For the SC clearance you have to declare defaults and ccjs. I have 12 defaults in total - they don't add up to a lot of money and many of them were due to a dispute with my old flatmate and him refusing to pay. The couple of large ones are from when I took out overdrafts 10 years as a student and fell into difficulty. The CCJ being from when I had to leave a course early and I'm now repaying it.

I will declare them all but are my chances now slim due to this poor history?

The other thing I worry about is my most recent job. Over the past 6 years I worked casually for my dads family run business, just working in the office. It was just a causual job whilst I was at university and he paid me in cash. I've listed this job on my CV and application - will the fact its casual be an issue?

Also they need a reference from a supervisor and my Dad was the man who ran it and he passed away in July this year. So I'm struggling with that also.

I'm probably worrying myself over nothing but any help would be appreciated.

Thanykou

Comments

• Floop
    Floop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Each case is determined on its individual merits so it’s impossible to say how your defaults would be viewed. Generally with finances they want to see if you’ve been irresponsible, and also how you are dealing with the debt. You say you’re paying the CCJ but what about the other debts? What are the rest of your finances like?

The job being casual I wouldn’t worry about. Re the supervisor reference, call the NSV and ask what to put.

To be honest I’d be concerned about your financial history, it doesn’t sound great
  • techwatcher
    Options
    Agree with everything Floop said, and would add that the financial checks are partly see if you may be vulnerable to undue 'influence' due to your financial situation. Owing money isn't necessarily a barrier to SC clearance, however owing money and not having a plan to pay it back may well be.

My advice would be to be completely honest and transparent when completing the forms.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say in another post that you've started work as a teacher. Presumably your school will need to be one of your referees?
  • Big4_Consultant
    Options
    I recently obtained SC clearance at work to support a client.

It's about honestly and integrity. Past financial issues, CCjs etc are fine and will not be a reason to decline clearance. They need to be satisfied that you are not a risk to things such as bribes and illegal activities, hence if you are completely honest you'll clear.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They may blink a bit at the casual work for dad, but bereavement (my condolences) may well excuse that.

If the new job requires scrupulous adherence to financial propriety, they may be more curious about the details of past irregularities but honesty and not being open to pressure via the other traditional routes (sex & drugs & rock & roll) - wanting power is considered normal!

Just don't claim to have been in some pizza joint when the photos suggest otherwise. The clearance team will have worn out their sense of humour on that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure