Amex unauthorised charge

Options
My business is a Ltd company which is a seperate entity from myself.

Over the past few months cash has been tight in the business and we’ve been behind on some payments.

There is a company that we owe around £2,000 to.

Earlier this month after speaking to them, I agreed to make a payment on behalf of the business to them for £1,000 from my personal Amex card. I absolutely did not have to do this as I personally am not liable for the debt, but I felt it would be a good thing to do.

Anyhow — it turns out that they have taken the £1,000 and subsequently 7 days later taken another £1,000.

This extra £1,000 that they have taken is owed by the business, but it is absolutely not owed by me and I never authorised them to make that transaction.

I actually have emails where they have asked if I would authorise it to which I did not respond.

My question is as to where I stand from a legal perspective around this unauthorised transaction. As my own money is tight right now, I really cannot afford this extra money that they have taken and feel pretty annoyed as I was under no obligation to help them out from my personal funds in the first place.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is more of a credit card issue than a fees and charges one, so you may be better posting on a more appropriate board.

But if you dispute the charge, raise a chargeback with Amex.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Adamscot92 wrote: »
    I actually have emails where they have asked if I would authorise it to which I did not respond.
    It would surely have been wiser to respond to them that you did not agree any authorisation? Why did you not respond at all?

Regardless, only appraising your credit card provider of the situation can help you now..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure