Zoom Telecom advice please

124»

Comments

• My mother has also received a telephone call from Guaranteed Telecom in December saying they would stop nuisance calls and I believe she gave them her bank details over the phone (she has dementia) as when I checked her account I notice amount coming out from Guaranteed Telecom which I didn't recognise and when I did further investigation found out who they were! . I have instructed her bank to cancel this . I intend to report them to ofcom as I'm appalled by these low life extracting money from a 80 year old women with Dementia!!!! When I read the posts above I can't believe they are still getting away with it!!!!
  • I've had a similar problem with my elderly parents. Direct debits of £19.99 to Guaranteed Telecom appeared in their bank statements, although they had no memory of signing up for anything. We cancelled the DD and the bank refunded the money but they are now getting bills. Apparently my mother signed up for 2 years and it costs £588 to terminate the contract. She has not accessed the broadband that she's 'signed up' for and has no idea that she signed a verbal contract.
  • I've reported them to Ofcom, who were great. They said they would be able to do more if more people reported Zoom/Guaranteed Telecom to them.

The latest is that we were all set up to move to a different provider and Zoom prevented the connection. That is a second offence that Ofcom were very interested in.
  • My elderly grandfather had a recorded letter from zoom telecoms with an overdue payment demand of £89 (he doesn’t do direct debits nor will he ever give bank details over the phone). When I spoke to them after going thru the sales line I was told he had verbally consented to switching in June and supply was transferred in July. He received no paperwork to inform of the switch until the demand. He rang and spoke to BT who assured him he was still with them. Zoom said he can’t be paying two line rentals and they have a list of all his calls he’s made, I asked them to suspend his line permanently so he can’t receive calls to see if they held the line we wouldn’t be able to contact him which we still can. They said he’s tied into a 24 month contract. Do I just call zoom and ask to speak to the complaints department and tell them we are not paying, and that he has line rental with current supplier. I too have asked for a recording of the conversation which I was told would take a week? I am going to complain to ofcom as they seem to pray on the elderly. Please help.
  • kittycatty
    kittycatty Posts: 3,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Another Zoom Telecom scam story. My mother in law received a bill for nearly £70 from these cowboys. I called them up to discover they were billing her for a basically non exsisting phone line and broadband.
    We had agreed to switch according to them in a call back in June, her line did go funny in July and her current provider Sky did a transfer back as her daughter have POA, sky sent through all the requests but Zoom never received them, yeah ok shock. So she has a new number with sky and Zoom are charging for the old line.
    The paperwork received last week was the first ever she had received, Sky couldn't tell Zoom were the other company and she suffers with confusion and can barely remember what she had this morning, let alone who she spoke with back in June.
    So today they called me back and played the recording of their call to my mother in law. They started the call asking for her by name and then went on to say they were able to get her line rental lower for her etc etc not once did he state he was calling from Zoom (and she is registered with TPS).
    I listened and I struggled to hear and understand what he was saying, he spoke like Usain bolt runs, fast. later in the call he said zoom telecoms twice but you could hear her replying and could hear the level of confusion in her voice. They way they do it is they get our elderly relatives to repeat that name and that they are happy with what they have been told today. They don't mention that they are agreeing to switch service providers but mentioned BT a could of times.
    Already made a compliant to Ofcom and updated then today. Really shocked how this company seem to be targeting a certain class/age of people, Ie those that are slightly in the twighlight years and those with dementia and similar problems. My mother in law has had a series of falls, mild strokes and other medical problems which have left her very confused at times. Is there anything else we can do to stop Zoom Telecom? She is afraid and worried about answering the phone in case it is them again.
    Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Block the phone numbers .
    BT8600 or similiar phone with a whitelist of those that you want to get through .
  • It may be of interest to other victims of Zoom / Guarantted / Met Technologies that OFCOM have now opened an investigation into Met etc, so feel free to add your 'experiences'. 
    As I'm new and cannot post links, just search OFCOM for case   'cw_01250'
  • It seems my parents have also been victim of Zoom.  To cut a long story short they are with OneStream for their residential land line.  A default / recovery letter received in January 2020 to chase outstanding debt by Zoom for unknown services.
    At this point - confirmed with OneStream that they still had service (which they did) and therefore send letters / emails to Zoom to confirm no contract with them and that the contract with OneStream.  
    Fast forward to early March 2020.  I receive texts and voicemail on my mobile from Zoom chasing the said debt (despite the letter is sent them asking for evidence of the contract being ignored).
    I carry on challenging the existence of the contract (relying on the information provided by OneStream that contact was with them until August 2020.
    Zoom replied to an email I sent insisting contact with them and that they would charge disconnection charges so a debt of £130 would become £350!!!  As I still believed the contract was with OneStream I called their bluf!!
    Next day, parents phone dead - no service.  This happened on a Friday / Saturday morning.  Called OneStream on Monday this week - and it seems I was misinformed!! Contract was switched in July / August 2019.  The fact they have continued to take the  direct debits payment we will park for now!!
    I understand that the only option I have is to get Zoom to reinstate the telephone line as they disconnected it???
    Does anyone have any advice on this and what steps I need to take.

I have reported it to Action Fraud / Ofcom and the Ombudsman - but none of this helps get my parents landline up and running again - they are in their 80's.
    Any guidance gratefully received.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport