Credit Rating: How it works and How to improve it discussion area

Comments

• eacesar
    eacesar Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2019 at 11:32AM
    Hello all

I was wondering if the credit agencies get their records updated somehow when someone acquire a new nationality. Or is this up to the person to let them know of a citizenship change? How would I go about doing this? By letter?

I've been living in the UK for the past 15 years and a couple of years ago I became a British citizen.

I am asking this because I recently applied for a HSBC account online and received a letter a few days later saying the details I supplied did not match the details they already had on me, and advised me to go to a branch to continue the opening of the account. For the information, I opened a HSBC account when I first arrived in the UK but closed it some 5 years ago.
    So the only significant piece of information that changed compared to 10 years ago (other than address, place of work, salary) was my citizenship status - before I was a non-EU citizen.

I have been monitoring my credit score for many years and never noticed any significant change when I became a British citizen and had my name added to the electoral roll - I was expecting this to have a positive impact.
    Comparatively, my wife is an Italian national and her score has always been better than mine, despite both of us having somewhat similar financial situations (e.g. similar salaries, same number of bank accounts, credit cards, loans, no history of late payments etc - I look after our finances). The difference in scores was understandable before I became a Brit but now I think it should be at least roughly the same score had the agencies know of the citizenship change.

What would you guys think?
  • The scores aren't used in lending decisions so you can safely ignore them.
  • cassie13
    cassie13 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have an excellent credit rating but very poor affordability score. At the end of this month my mortgage will be paid off (after 45 years) , As my monthly income will now increase , can anyone advise me if I could give notification of this to anyone which will help to improve my affordability score.
  • cassie13 wrote: »
    I have an excellent credit rating but very poor affordability score. At the end of this month my mortgage will be paid off (after 45 years) , As my monthly income will now increase , can anyone advise me if I could give notification of this to anyone which will help to improve my affordability score.

Just close your eyes and imagine it being a high score.

Lenders don’t see, care about or use the scores and ratings.
  • Hi,
    I'm looking for advice please.
    I want to move my current credit card balance to a 0% deal but I've been refused cards twice now and I'm not sure why.
    I checked my file through the credit club and everything was green; no late payments or defaults. Score was high (although it looks like this doesn't mean anything).
    I used the eligibility calculator and applied for a pre-approved card but was turned down. I then realised that I still had an old card (no balance) with this provider, so thought that might be why.
    I left it a couple of months and tried again recently. Again, this was 90% chance of being accepted, but was refused again.
    Any ideas why this might be happening or what I can do about it?
    Thanks

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sampy_55 said:
    Hi,
    I want to move my current credit card balance to a 0% deal but I've been refused cards twice now and I'm not sure why.
    I checked my file through the credit club and everything was green; no late payments or defaults. Score was high (although it looks like this doesn't mean anything).
    I used the eligibility calculator and applied for a pre-approved card but was turned down. I then realised that I still had an old card (no balance) with this provider, so thought that might be why.
    I left it a couple of months and tried again recently. Again, this was 90% chance of being accepted, but was refused again.
    Thanks

Have you cancelled the old card ?

• DCFC79 said:
    Sampy_55 said:
    Hi,
    Thanks

Have you cancelled the old card ?

No. But the second application was with a different provider.
  • Hi,
    I've just received an update on my credit report which says I have a missed payment but I can't find where this originates from. I've looked through my list of creditors and it's not on there. I don't miss payments so I find this quite strange. Does anyone know how I can find out more about this?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you can't see it, it'll just be a notification error.
  • Thanks but how do I go about getting it removed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback