British Gas smart meter spiking throughout the day

Options
John3000
John3000 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 22 November 2019 at 2:00AM in Energy
It can spike completely unexpectedly anywhere from few seconds to a few minutes by 10 to 30 times what it should show. Just a while ago, the unit read over 1.4kwh, when it should have around 0.7kwh. I stood there staring at the meter to claw back down but it wouldn't budge and stayed flactuating slightly around the 1.4kwh-1.5kwh point for almost 10 minutes. This is on the IDS. I know spikes occur when a kettle or the microwave is on for example but there are far too many instances when the spikes are happening only when very low and stable consumption appliances are on e.g fridge and freezer.

For example, it could go from 0.3 kwh spiking up to 1.3khw or more for several seconds to even several minutes. This is happening throughout the day. I am not alone in this as I have read other people are experiencing similar thing (not sure which suppliers they are with).

This happening with electricity most of the time, but from time to time, gas is spiking as well, long after the boiler or cooker has been turned off. But with gas I am not sure if it is adding to the total consumption.

I HAVE NO DOUBT AT ALL THAT WE HAVE USED AT LEAST 3 WHOLE EXTRA UNITS OF ELECTRICITY TODAY DUE TO THESE SPIKES. THE SPIKES ARE CONVERTING INTO "REAL" USAGE AND THE TOTAL DAILY CHARGE IS MATCHING THE DAILY "CONSUMPTION".

I could be taking pictures and video of the IDS when this is happening.

Should I ask British Gas to fix the smart meters? They installed it only a few months ago.

Are there any other ways of questioning this, perhaps refer the matter to some sort of consumer advice group if BG do not rectify the issue.

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Forget the IHD, just look at the meters themselves and have a look at these two threads.
  • Mansard
    Mansard Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had our smart meter(s) installed this morning by British Gas. A few hours after having it, it was saying we were using £27.90 worth of energy per hour. A while later, it was saying our bill was currently £1,827 (just for today). Then later again it said our bill was at £29,334.

Now it has gone back to what seems like normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure