PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I forgot to weigh myself on Friday as I was whizzing about getting ready to go out for the day. I ate and drank far too much on Friday but ended up
    sts
    on Saturday morning.

Saturday and this morning haven't been any better - my son had friends round last night for a birthday sleepover so I ate far too much pizza. Started off well today with brunch of avocado and spicy scrambled eggs with ham, spring onion and a bit of cheese in. Then forgot I'd eaten and put 2 massive leftover pizza slices in the oven. I didn't realise until I was clearing away that I'd already eaten. Odd.
    Anyway, healthy tea and plenty of water for the rest of the day.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    Options
    Evening Everyone,

Hope all are having a lovely weekend and managing to stick to their resolve. I've had a busy day - with feeding Mum at lunchtime and DS, DDiL and DGD this evening. I had a lovely walk after lunch. Nearly all the snow had melted and it was a beautiful day. I took a bag and latex gloves with me and did a litter pick. Not only did I feel good having done it but I also got extra exercise with all the bending down picking stuff up. As an extra bonus it made me notice all sorts of little crocuses, snowdrops, and mini narcissi in flower which made spring feel much nearer.

DGD stayed for ten minutes play after the meal and not only did we jog home together but we also spent the ten minutes playtime doing a different activity in each room of the house - eg star jumps and stepping on and off chairs etc.

I've decided to add another 500 steps to my daily step challenge which I should achieve fairly easily. I thought I might add 500 a month for a while to see how it goes.

Lunch: Homemade smoked mackerel pate, with hm low carb bread, avocado, tomato, spinach leaves and cucumber.
    Dinner: Roast chicken with roasted butternut squash, peas, sprouts and a Yorkshire pudding. I did roast and mashed potatoes for everyone else but abstained myself. Everyone then had a gingerbread teddy made yesterday by DGD but again I did without.

I've got the chicken carcass in the slow cooker now for stock so may make butternut squash soup later this week.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a good day. Went to the pool and swam 32lenghts and sat in the steam room. Then walked about 3.5 miles home. After HM soup lunch I went in the garden and dug the veg patch for an hour and a half. Heavy work with clay soil! I've done almost 15000 steps today.

I made a fish pie for supper. I wrote all the calories down for the whole pie then had a quarter. I can add it to the myfitnesspal app now. I'm trying really hard not to nibble.

Well done to all those losing weight. Rose Wood, your activity levels with your DGD are fab! What a fun way to exercise. Would you mind sharing the makerel pate recipe you use please? I absolutely love it.

Happy losing:)
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Dumpling and Cranky for sharing some of your experiences affecting your lives it does help to realise what others have been through. I think you are both very brave and strong and have given me hope that I too can overcome the events that have led to my weight gain . I keep going for a while lose a bit of weight then find I have to gather courage and start again .Thank you everyone on here for the encouragement and understanding that runs through this thread.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all

My eating over the weekend has been better than Thursday and Friday, rather than the usual beating myself up over falling off the wagon I have climbed back on and started afresh :).

I had a lovely 5 mile walk through the forest with my sister on Saturday, do you burn more calories if you can't feel your fingers and toes in the cold? We are both trying to lose weight and did talk about why we eat and what we eat and like many of us touching of our childhood to try and understand what caused our attitude to food and eating. When you're an emotional eater and you're trying to fix that it's difficult to find something else to offer the comfort you think you're getting from food.

I made a large pot of minestrone soup this morning for lunches next week it also helped to use up the odds and ends of vegetables lurking in the fridge so has quite a selection of 9 or 10 in it

No breakfast today :naughty:
    Lunch - bacon, egg and a toasted sandwich thin
    Dinner - vegetable rice with stir fry steak followed by some FF Greek yogurt and blueberries
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Rose_Wood
    Options
    Would you mind sharing the makerel pate recipe you use please? I absolutely love it.

Hi,

Its really easy. I blended together some smoked mackerel with cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt and pepper.

Takes no time at all. I just add the lemon juice and seasonings till it tastes good.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • Doing_it_my_way
    Options
    I havnt lost anything this week because I've been eating for Britain! I really need a calmer week so I don't emotionally binge, I know I do it but even so i can't stop when I am doing it ��. I've had a quick look through and everyone is trying so hard, I need to focus.
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I havnt lost anything this week because I've been eating for Britain! I really need a calmer week so I don't emotionally binge, I know I do it but even so i can't stop when I am doing it ��. I've had a quick look through and everyone is trying so hard, I need to focus.

Hi there, don't be so hard on yourself honestly :). It sounds like you have had a very stressful week and that would be enough to make the strongest person crumble especially if they are used to turning to food to get comfort.

What I have found helpful for me is that writing down what I am going to eat and seeing the calories is enough to stop a binge in it's tracks. If I am absolutely determined to eat and hang the consequences then I try and compensate the next day or even the same day if I can by being extra careful with my next few meals. In my diary each night I record how many calories I have eaten and I also like to keep a rough record of what I have eaten and how I feel I have done. This feels to me like a full stop at the end of the day and helps me not to keep picking at food.

By being on here and being honest, you are trying hard. I really hope you have a calmer week, take care xx
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been tracking calories in the app and when I do this it really works. But I find it hard on days like today when I am going to visit a friend. We will either eat at hers or go out and I can't know a calorie count. I can choose healthy options but when I can't record it's like I lose control.

I have decided that today I will calculate the calorie cost of my evening meal before I go out and then I will know how much I have to spare and try and make an educated guess. Luckily, my friend is trying to lose four stone so she tries to make good choices too.

So,
    Breakfast - smoothie
    Lunch - ???
    Supper - vegan sausages, steamed veg, maybe some potato depending on what I eat for lunch.

I also have a question for you folks. How often do you weigh yourselves? Whenever I'm trying to lose weight I weigh myself everyday but I'm not sure if this is helpful. I was thinking a couple of times a week perhaps. If I leave it a whole week I might go off track.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »

I also have a question for you folks. How often do you weigh yourselves? Whenever I'm trying to lose weight I weigh myself everyday but I'm not sure if this is helpful. I was thinking a couple of times a week perhaps. If I leave it a whole week I might go off track.

I weigh myself every couple of days but there can be mad fluctuations of up to 6lb so it can feel a bit disheartening at times. As long as the general trend is downwards I am happy though. I only record my weight once a week, usually on a Friday but sometimes on a Sunday if the scales are being particularly unkind :o:).

Hello, everyone, just popping on to write down my meals for the day.
    b- cup of tea, not feeling hungry this morning
    l - cottage pie with cabbage broccoli and cauli
    d- pork stir fry
    s - tangerines

Definitely a leftovers day today :D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts