PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

MSE have asked that we start a new thread for 2019 so here it is - a shiny new weight loss thread. I'm not sure where Knit Witch is or even if she wants to run it so in the mean time folks, if you don't mind suffering me I'll do my best to keep up the totals and challenge dates.

Here's the links to previous challenges

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???:rotfl:

and here are some more useful links. If any of them are out of date or don't work please let me know and I'll remove them.

MSE links
OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
MyNetDiary
Caloriecount

The rest on google

Free printable food diary
Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
BMI calculator

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,757 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2019 at 10:45AM
    So...to get stuck into this straight away - the first challenge of 2019 should have started for the 13 weeks beginning Monday the 31st of December. This means that to keep things in the usual format the first challenge will now be run in a slightly backdated kind of way from Monday the 14th of January for those of us that did weigh ourselves last week i.e. me for one (and it wasn't good :o )

The challenge will end on Sunday the 31st of March which gives us 11 weeks or 10 weeks from tomorrow if you prefer to lose weight the MSE way. To me this means proper meals like nana used to make (not my mum - she couldn't cook :rotfl: ) whilst trying to cut out snacks and junk food.

Would anyone else like to join in?
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi

I would like to join please. I started just after Xmas and have lost 8lb so far but have another 43lb to go to bring me down to a healthy BMI. I would like to try and lose 14lb over the next 10 weeks.

Thanks

M
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi Cranky, I would love to join in again if I may. I will start recording my (hopeful) losses from this week every Friday as I have had 2 weeks of skewed losses due to fluid release. So can I please say I will try to lose 14lb for this challenge.

I am calorie counting using nutracheck which is a paid for app but I find it well worth it. I am eating healthy foods on the whole with no snacks apart from fruit and veg.

Todays menu looks like this:
    b - a big bowl of bran flakes
    l - cup of vegetable soup and toast with cheese triangles
    d - roast lamb, carrots, green beans and spring greens
    s - banana, apple and tangerine

Good luck to all who decide to join in and I hope knitwitch is ok.
  • CRANKY40
    Good afternoon and welcome Munchin and dumpling. I've had a think today about what I'd like to lose. As I started last week and hope to lose a pound a week I'll make mine 11 lbs I think.

My target last year was to lose a pound a week. I did end the year a stone lighter than I began but that's a long way from what I wanted. On the plus side, I did the couch to 5k program. What I learned from that is that a 51 year old lady weighing nearly 16 stone can learn to run. I am probably the slowest runner on Merseyside, but I learned to run :T

I know that most of you choose not to give your start weights. I have no shame however and my start weight for this year is 14 stone 11. The last time I weighed 14 stone anything was in 2001 when I was courting the late Mr Cranky and by our wedding in 2002 I was back over 15 stone so you can sort of see why I'm ok with it.

I'm filling in MFP and will be running on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays if I can for now. Onwards and downwards :)

P.S. I've no idea if I'm subbing for Knit Witch or taking over so we'll just play it by ear for now if that's ok?
  • CRANKY40
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Cranky 0/11
    dumpling 0/14
    Munchin 0/14

I'm going to do the list in alphabetical order if that's OK? I'll get confused (it's my age) otherwise :D
  • Hi there, can I join in please? I'd like to aim for 5llb. I can't be doing with diets so I'm liking the look of this OS way of doing it. I already cook plenty of healthy proper meals but have got into some less healthy habits too. I've got a plan of tweaks which I hope will result in a slow weight loss over the 10 weeks:

Porridge for breakfast instead of buttery toast mon-fri
    Booze only allowed 2 nights a week instead of 3
    Only fruit or natural yoghurt for dessert
    Be conscious of portion sizes

Let's see how I get on.
  • big5
    big5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Hi Cranky, could you add me to the list - I’ll aim for 14lbs too. Put on 4lbs since Christmas, struggling to get back into eating healthily when there’s still chocolate biscuits, etc, around! Made some lovely butternut squash and carrot soup earlier for lunches this week.
  • CRANKY40
    Yay, more friends. Welcome Ginmonster and big5.

Ginmonster - if you're interested in the nutritional values of what you're eating, Myfitnesspal could be of some help. Firstly it's free (very MSE) and secondly although it comes with a pre-set group of nutritional values that it monitors you can actually change them to monitor whatever you want. It's handy if you're not losing as quickly as you think you should be once you've changed your eating habits. It's a bit of a faff at first but as I tend to make the same meals over the course of a month it doesn't take as long the next time that I make something as it only has to be logged - it already has the recipe recorded.

big5 - well done on the soup making. I had the last of the home made pea and ham today. I was going to have salad for lunch but it was cold so soup it was.
  • CRANKY40
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

big5 0/14
    Cranky 0/11
    dumpling 0/14
    Ginmonster 0/0
    Munchin 0/14
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2019 at 7:10PM
    Thanks for the new thread Cranky I would love to join, please put me down for 14lb too.
    I follow Slimming World, but from home not online or meetings, managed to loose 3 1/2 stone last year but put some back on over Christmas. Lots more to loose unfortunately!
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport