Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thank Joey, I don't think I am inspirational. But I am a bit excitable when I want something and I do want to buy a house. This is the first time I have ever rented, I have always owned my own house before. I bought my first flat at the age of 22. Even if I got a shared ownership property, it would be still be partly mine and I wouldn't be constantly worrying that my landlord was going to sell my house! I know it won't actually happen for a couple of years, but I am hoping that in five years time, we will be in our own house!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are selling yourself short - you're fabulous, sorting this out, holding down a job outside the home and a-more-than-full-time job in the home. That house will be yours.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the other day when I mentioned saving for a house deposit and you gave the ages of the kids, 'oh she needs about another 5 years'. I've caught up with the thread and see you've zoomed miles past my thoughts. :D:T
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks Joey, I don't feeling top of things all the time but I am getting there. I've also decided that I'm doing this by myself and I'm not going to hope that I meet someone that I can buy a house with. I'm going to do this by myself for me and my kids.

And thanks Spendless, yes I think by five years, I want to have bought a house. I'm not getting any younger and the sooner I can do it the better really. If I can't get a shared ownership property, then I am thinking a smaller house than what we need but with room to expand. I would be happy on a sofa bed in the lounge if it meant it was my own house!

Right off to sort a to do list for today.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Options
    5 years is a lovely time scale to work to. By then your eldest will be an adult and the second eldest almost will. The next 2 will be at Secondary school and the last 2 at Primary and even the youngest will have been there a couple of years.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    The house plans sound so exciting and I totally agree about expanding. You could even have one of them posh sheds we were talking about haha.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Ooooh yes a posh shed sounds amazing. Maybe I could stick whichever teenager is annoying me the most in the posh shed!!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Ooooh yes a posh shed sounds amazing. Maybe I could stick whichever teenager is annoying me the most in the posh shed!!

If they are annoying you, I don't think it needs to be a posh shed.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    If they are annoying you, I don't think it needs to be a posh shed.

Ok maybe two sheds, a posh one for me to escape to and a not so posh one for the annoying teenagers!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you overpay on a shared ownership?

I was just thinking, whatever you paid in rentgage would form the majority of your deposit on the next house. Plus whatever you save on top. It is never wasted money.

We had our own house for 12 years, then ended up selling and renting in a different city for 9 months, before getting a job in another city and renting there for 10 months. Paying three times what we had been paying in mortgage payments to rent someone else's house was miserable.

You were so aware it was wasted money.

Plus the poxy things had key meters for gas and electric - utterly depressing.

You are doing brilliantly. Nearly 3 debts cleared in such a short time. Tidy your signature and be proud.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure