PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Comments

• pumpkinlife
    pumpkinlife Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh, and congratulations on your one week anniversary! :beer:
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Pumpkin :)

Yes, by all means start a new thread if you'd like. It woud be great to 'chat' to other vegans, i dont know any IRL.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks justamum, i think i am just going to continue with black coffee. I worry about drinking/eating too many products that contain soya anyway, as i have heard than it has been linked to higher levels of cancers.

I still need to research that though.

If you're looking at Mercola or WPF then they are biased towards the meat and dairy industries. Dr Gregor is very informed. This link might be of interest (you can subscribe to his daily 2 minute videos and he has a whole load of interesting videos to watch).

This might be interesting too.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been away from OS for a while (pretending my £100 Ocado shops and meals out aren't happening :eek:) and have a cupboard full of food to use up.

We're not a totally vegan house - don't eat meat or dairy or wear animal products...we do however have 5 chickens! Hope it's still ok to join :)

Tonight we're having mushroom risotto. Need to use up mixed frozen mushrooms, risotto rice and have about 5 tubs of Pure in the fridge! OH is uncharacteristically playing chef tonight, which is exciting.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks, that is very useful :)
  • pumpkinlife
    I started a new Vegan non-storecupboardy thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5192595

On the storecupboard front, I have a 'triage box' of odds and ends of packets to use up before I open fresh ones. We have a new wholefood coop opening here next month and I want an excuse to go shopping :). Just means some weird food combos for the next week or so.
  • LUCY1979_2
    LUCY1979_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hello everyone! I shall be lurking on here for inspiration. I'm just going into my 4th week of being veggie (again!) and would love to cut down on my egg and dairy usage too eventually.
    LBM - 01/03/2010 - £21695.15 :eek:

Debt Free 01 March 2015 :T

• pumpkinlife
    I've actually planned out our meals for the week for the first time in ages, focusing on using what is already in the cupboard.

Tonight - Had a buckwheat 'risotto' with root veg. We will be buying buckwheat again, the kids love it and it cooks quickly.

Tomorrow - http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/sesame-brussels-sprout-curry/ - I have a huge bag of sprouts to use up and most of the other ingredients in the cupboard.

Wednesday - Lentils with kale and mash.

Thursday - Work, so leftovers for me and the rest of them can fend for themselves, probably with something meaty that I want no part in...

Friday - Homemade Chinese, several dishes. I've started some mung beans to sprout, they should be ready then.

Saturday - Vegetable and kidney bean hash.

Sunday - Herby butter bean pasta.

Lunches will be variations on sandwiches, leftovers and baked potatoes. I'm going to make Sushi rolls for the weekend to take into work both days.

Breakfast is mostly porridge, fruit, cornflakes or toast; and perhaps muffins if I get around to baking.
  • MandM90
    Last night OH tried, with the best intentions, to use up some store cupboard ingredients and make me dinner.

He made red thai curry with coconut milk, frozen exotic mushrooms, a sad pepper from the bottom of the fridge, carrots and rice.

Sounds wonderful...only he didn't read the jar of paste and used 400g for 4 servings :eek:

What was on his plate went to the chooks (I soldiered on, insisted I liked it :rotfl:) and I've mixed in some more coconut milk and frozen it in portions to eat when the memory has faded.

Tonight we're having falafel wraps. Made some hummus (at 6am :eek:) out of 2 tins of chickpeas and used a packet mix for falafels and chucked it in the fridge as OH leaves just before I get in for dinner. It'll also use up the rest of the salad in the fridge which is getting on a bit.

Started a meal planning spreadsheet in our shared Dropbox folder so we can stay on top of the groceries.
  • MandM90
    edited 21 March 2015 at 7:47PM
    Decided I have far too much food and must make an inventory. So here goes.

Freezer

2 HM pizza bases: one mini, one large (for 2)

Roughly 3 portions of tomato sauce for pizza/pasta

2 portions of Veggie Thai Red Curry

6 bags of smoothie mix (home mixed, 2 servings per bag)

4 bags blueberries

1 bag tropical fruit

3 bags mixed berries

1 large bag of spinach

Handful frozen peas

2 X half full bags of mixed chopped veg :mad:

tupperware pot (2X portions) chickpea tagine

Cubes of chopped chilli

2 veggie burgers

Lentil bolognese

Lentil shepherds pie (filling only)

Miscellaneous grey/green soup(?) :rotfl:

Tub mushroom gravy

Bag frozen sweetcorn

Tub leftover gravy (might just be bisto...WHY, M WHY!?)

Sweet and sour tofu

Frozen edamame beans

Thai Herbs

Chopped Butternut squash

3X small tupperware boxes of bean chilli

...I might work through the freezer first, then think about the cupboard!! :o

Adjusting the next couple of weeks meal plans to include:

Bean chilli, with brown rice (cupboard)
    Lentil shepherds pie (spuds in cupboard) with peas/mixed veg
    Thai red curry and rice
    Edamame tom yam
    Tagine and cous cous
    Smoothies
    Veg burgers and wraps (with hm chips and salad)
    Sweet and sour tofu with rice/noodles
    Pizza
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport