Moving house-keeping the same energy supplier

Options
masisu
masisu Posts: 35 Forumite
edited 21 February 2019 at 11:16PM in Energy
Hi there

I’m renting and moving into another rental.
My current supplier is Npower(and has been for the past 5 years). I would like to keep the same supplier for the new accommodation- simply because I’m used to them and their ways and became complacent.
I’ve spoke to Npower and they’ve informed me that the new flat has Utility Warehous as supplier-and that I will have to be with them for 3-4 weeks until the changeover is done.
What I’m worried about is, can I not keep my old supplier (Npower) from day one at the new property? Will the changeover go automatically and swift (as Npower lady said over the phone)?
Also, because the flat I’m moving in it’s through a letting agent, is it possible they can ask/force me to keep their existent supplier(ie Utility Warehouse)?
I haven’t received the tenancy agreement yet- supposed to move in in 3 weeks.
Thank you

Comments

• alfie1950
    Options
    You HAVE to sign up with Utility Warehouse and give them opening meter readings the day you move in.
    At the same time you can start a switch back to Npower but it means you will be with UW for up to 4 weeks until the switch takes place.
    Also the tariff you are on with Npower may now not be available so you would have to sign up to their current cheapest tariff or go back on their variable rate.
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Unusually Npower have given you correct advice:rotfl:

What Alfie has said above is correct.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't forget to give nPower the readings from your present property when you move out.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    At the same time you can start a switch back to Npower but it means you will be with UW for up to 4 weeks until the switch takes place..

I moved into the property during 24th January, British Gas were existing supplier, switch to Bulb took place within a matter of days, where does all this up to 4 weeks come from ?

9 Jan
    We get cracking with your switch

25 Jan - 4 Feb
    Submitted your first meter reading. Well done!

30 Jan
    We’ve taken your first payment

30 Jan
    You’re officially a Bulb member. Hurrah!

• alfie1950
    Options
    I did say UP TO....
    I switched from Scottish Power to SSE in December and it took 23 days in total.
    No point in raising someone's expectations that it's always as quick as yours !
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

I moved into the property during 24th January, British Gas were existing supplier, switch to Bulb took place within a matter of days, where does all this up to 4 weeks come from ?
    9 Jan
    We get cracking with your switch

25 Jan - 4 Feb
    Submitted your first meter reading. Well done!

30 Jan
    We’ve taken your first payment

30 Jan
    You’re officially a Bulb member. Hurrah!

Looks like you started your switch before 9th Jan.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    .......where does all this up to 4 weeks come from ?

Switches can take up to 6 weeks according to the CEC

See the CEC FAQs:

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq?_ga=2.75605008.408118968.1548030199-698660452.1466070454
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After OneSelect went bust I was switched to the useless Together Energy so I initiated a switch to EDF on 24th January which completed on 14th February so three weeks in total.
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We signed up with Eon last September as they were the cheapest available at the time. We knew we would be moving within the initial 12 month contract period and naively assumed that we could could port the same deal to the new property and see out the remainder of the contract.

However Eon informed us that although they would be happy to supply our energy they would have to re quote the contract and came back as considerably higher than the competition so we ended up binning them, had to take over the existing Spark energy supply at the new house but immediately switched to Zebra
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

Yes it could take longer than 17 days, most shouldn't

https://www.confused.com/gas-electricity/guides/the-supplier-switching-process

Ideally, the switch should take no longer than 17 days from the date you arranged to change supplier. This allows for a 14 day "cooling off period" where you can change your mind about switching.

This comes after energy regulator Ofgem challenged gas and electricity companies to cut their switching times.

While many suppliers have are on board with this faster switching, some smaller, independent companies might not yet be able to do so.

Before you switch, ask the new company if they're able to switch customers faster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure