Get rid of Landline

Options
2»

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i've used voip for years and have never bothered with a voip phone - i have set it up to divert to my mobile when anyone calls my voip 'landline'
  • CampingCathy
    Options
    My virgin contract ceases tomorrow, and I failed to negotiate a reasonable new cost, so I will let the contract cease (after many years with them).

I have ordered the Three unlimited sim, and a Huawei router.

I have no particular attachment to my landline number. The only calls I get on it now are from PPI, solar energy and accident claims companies, and callers telling me I have problems with my (non existent) windows computer and BT line.

So my plan is to plug the "landline" telephone into the back of the router and use that for outgoing calls, utilising the unlimited calls on the sim (My OH hates using mobile phones)

I'm hoping the Three reception is decent, if not I will cancel in the 14 day cooling off period, and pay a little more for the virgin unlimited sim, as I know their reception is smoking hot here
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My OH likes a "landline" phone so our VOIP uses our old DECT phone with a VOIP adaptor. (the adaptor is no longer sold in the UK/EU hence why I didn't recommend one above).
    So don't use forwarding to mobile either as not required.
    When we went to VOIP, we took a new number and have only had 1 spam call in 4 years. So don't miss our old landline number.
  • Pluto88888
    Options
    tmohammad wrote: »
    I hope this is in the right forum, could not see a better one....

I live in an area where Fibre is not available (centre of Birmingham would you believe - Openreach wont update our cabinet as its not feasible!). I have landline and broadband with Plusnet. The speeds are really slow and I pay for the landline just to have broadband.

As Three are doing a Unlimited Data SIM with Unlimited Minutes and Text, I was thinking of ditching the Landline altogether and getting a 4G router and the Three SIM and using that as my home broadband provider. I would get a lot better speeds, Plus its cheaper as I pay £17.99 for the Landline + £10 for the crappy broadband... The three SIM would cost £20 and the only extra would be the one off 4G Router.

It would be nice to somehow keep the landline number we have had for over 25 years.

Anybody gone this route? Ideas & Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

Just do it done the same since October 2018 only paying £10 a month with three UK ayce 4g router speeds around 70meg saving me over £30 a month virgin media.

My three usage has been over 300gb+ each month no issues at all
  • bdawg7
    Options
    In theory I think you can get your landline number transferred to another landline, but I'm not sure about VOIP. I've thought of going down this route myself in the past but 4G coverage round my way is sadly too patchy :(
  • GibsonSt19
    GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can cope with 100Gb a month, this is a good deal as includes the 4G router...

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

I have found the router to be excellent.

I can't see mention of a 100gb limit. Is it not Unlimited for £22pm?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure